• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE Whitworth Hexagonal Moulds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mould updates!!

All being well I should be able to offer 2 new very affordable Whitworth Hexagonal Moulds by early next week.
It was my intention just to bring online the Base Pour first but I decided to add the Base Plug bits to my list of parts to be made and whilst doing this the new more complicated Dies as well somehow got made up!!
So Base Pour with no hollow base and Nose Pour with the 1/4" long 15 degree taper cavity in the base will be available in a few days time.
The Nose Pour I have made with a pretty discreet "pour hole" (4mm / .156" dia.) and as such the inevitable flat associated with such Moulds is very much reduced in size.
On my prototypes I did use a 3mm / .118" hole and it was not an issue to pour through, it just takes care and a steady pouring hand and correct type of ladle.
As with all of my Moulds I advocate a domestic large Desert Spoon with the lips bent inwards to allow the lead to flow in a thin manner, so you will need to rob a Spoon from the Kitchen or get yourself to the Sunday Car Boot Sales to stock up!
Both Moulds will be complete with their own Handles so no need to purchase some as is often the case or the need to rob one off your existing moulds!!
I will post pictures of both soon and PM me if you are interested and want prices.
As the prices for what is available at the moment tend to be pretty expensive and may well put off purchase I hopefully will have a pleasant surprise for the Whitworth shooters out there!!!
😆

Last edited:
Well the first batch are coming together!
As there were discussions about Nose Pour and Base Pour so I have introduced both.
To keep the Nose Pour as clean as possible a 4mm diameter lead entry hole which works well, I did make one with a 3mm hole giving a very small truncation but increased the size to allow for the shaky hand casters out there!
The Base Plug is simply gripped as you close the Mould and to make sure it stays there you can support the Mould on the Plug Handle as you pour, this gives additional stability when pouring the lead.
Bullet weights, dimensions etc will be posted in the next few days!
It has been quite entertaining building Moulds with the original LEM Ball Mould hardware, I last used the Tooling and parts about 35 years ago when Ball were about 90% of my work.
The last LEM Hex Moulds would have been made by my Dad in about 1968 ish.....................................I vowed never would I make them but here we go!!
😆

PM me for pricing if interested.

Attachments

• 20220825_162644.jpg
    20220825_162644.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220825_161225.jpg
    20220825_161225.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220826_111211.jpg
    20220826_111211.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220826_111308.jpg
    20220826_111308.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Thank you for making these. I have a Whitworth and am surely interested.

As I am not an engineer this may be a stupid question…but couldn’t these moulds be easily made with CNC equipment? We can 3D print nearly anything, and CNC processes are changing everything (see Kibler rifles).

Hi,
I use a CNC Machining Centre for the Dies and CAD Software, to make them in the old mechanical way would take a very long time and be very very expensive!
We last made them in 1968 this old way!!

I can supply a Nose Pour for £175 495Gns.
Base Pour for £165 540Gns.
.441" A/F
.470" A/C

Postage is going to be around £18-20 due to the size and weight.

Last edited:
I'll be 67 in October and finally got to scratch my Parker Hale Volunteer Rifle itch I've had since I was a teenager. Please PM ordering info and have to take a bottom pour since my hands are seriously jacked from all the pinched nerves in the C2 through T4 area from bending over hospital beds trying to lift >500# bariatric (aka land whale) patients.

Thanks again for this work,

As I have yet to try out my Pedersoli hex mould due to lack of suitable handles - nobody seems to have them, including Pedersoli main dealers - I'm inclined to try your mould, but like many here, I'm awaiting the dimensional details....

I'm still trying to figure out how to use your hexagonal-bodied .451" smooth-sided mould, mainly, what do you use to hold the base and top together, and on what? A simple diagram would be great.

Last edited:
As I have yet to try out my Pedersoli hex mould due to lack of suitable handles - nobody seems to have them, including Pedersoli main dealers - I'm inclined to try your mould, but like many here, I'm awaiting the dimensional....

I'm still trying to figure out how to use your hexagonal-bodied .451" smooth-sided mould, mainly, what do you use to hold the base and top together, and on what? A simple diagram would be great.
Hello Tim,

OK for the Mould you already have.
Pre heat the Mould and Base for a good 30-60 seconds with a small flame.
Sit the Base on a heat proof non conductive surface, wood at the worse case and sit the hot Mould on top and leave go. (Make sure the Sprue Cutter is closed)
Pour the Lead in, the lead should not solidify instantly but maybe 2-3 seconds as this will show the Steel and Brass are up to temperature.
Lift up the Mould and Base as one and with the aid of a piece of wood
(a small Hammer Shaft is ideal) a glancing tap to the Base edge will cause the Base Plug to fall down, then strike the Sprue Cutter followed by a simple tap to the Die side.
The Bullet will fall out.
The Extractor is there should you have a bad batch of lead such as Solder traces.
Don't have the Lead too hot, if it gilds over too hot!!
Bullets should be free from wrinkles if the Mould is at the right working temperature

The new Hex Moulds cast a 540Gn. Bullet for the Base Pour, .441" A/F and .469" A/C
Same dims for the Nose Pour but with a weight of 495Gns.
Both Moulds fast and very easy to use.

Best Regards,

Glenn

Hello Tim,

OK for the Mould you already have.
Pre heat the Mould and Base for a good 30-60 seconds with a small flame.
Sit the Base on a heat proof non conductive surface, wood at the worse case and sit the hot Mould on top and leave go. (Make sure the Sprue Cutter is closed)
Pour the Lead in, the lead should not solidify instantly but maybe 2-3 seconds as this will show the Steel and Brass are up to temperature.
Lift up the Mould and Base as one and with the aid of a piece of wood
(a small Hammer Shaft is ideal) a glancing tap to the Base edge will cause the Base Plug to fall down, then strike the Sprue Cutter followed by a simple tap to the Die side.
The Bullet will fall out.
The Extractor is there should you have a bad batch of lead such as Solder traces.
Don't have the Lead too hot, if it gilds over too hot!!
Bullets should be free from wrinkles if the Mould is at the right working temperature

The new Hex Moulds cast a 540Gn. Bullet for the Base Pour, .441" A/F and .469" A/C
Same dims for the Nose Pour but with a weight of 495Gns.
Both Moulds fast and very easy to use.

Best Regards,

Glenn
Hi Tim,

Such is the finish to the inside of the Dies once the waste lead is sheared off the Bullet tends to drop out on it's own, the "tap" to the TOP of the Die with your bit of wood is the trick!!

' OUR' Glenn & his father before him have supplied all kinds of mould's to me & my 'patrons' (Up market Customers ) over many years (since 1962) I suppose that's an endorsement of a kind but a sincere one .& I have no commercial interest in his firm .Other than to see him succeed .
Rudyard

Back