• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whitmore, Duff, Wolff & Co.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some photos of the stock pre cleaned and not mended. It is a wonder the gun didn't fall apart. It certainly sturdy now.

I saved every little piece of wood for reattaching after cleaning. I have no luck with cyan acrylic so I used 15 minute two part epoxy with 3C tweezers and a binocular microscope to reattach.

IMG_6620.JPG

IMG_6622.JPG

IMG_6624.JPG

Some more pictures of the lock assembly.

I don't know what they had to work with for making threads but what I have seen on this rifle is pretty hard looking. There is a lot of wear on the hammer and much of the metal is gone. Still hits the cap with a good surface so it's a keeper.

The little fly part that has a pivot pin was really beginning to stick. After cleaning and lubrication it works well.

The two little screws still work but they look tender. I do not have any plans to keep removing and reassembling parts. Get them in place and snug and move on.

IMG_6598.JPG

IMG_6602.JPG

I machined a piece of brass to just fit the barrel to determine the bore size. I kept taking a little off until it fit well.

IMG_7385.JPG

IMG_7385.JPG

IMG_7388.JPG

IMG_7389.JPG

So I finished it looking like a bullet so it won't get lost.

Should the bore be called a 40 caliber?

What size round ball would be used?

A .40 caliber rifle will shoot a lead .390 roundball nicely.
Track of the Wolf has some .389 and .395 diameter balls for sale. Follow this link

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/127/1
I would go for the .389 diameter balls.

I will get some of the .389 coming from the Wolf, thank you Zonie.

I tried to check Rate of twist and stuck the cleaning stem and rag in the barrel. It's still stuck and I think I will try using compressed ait to blow it out via the cap nipple.

When I took the rifle apart first time it had a brass home made screw holding the lock plate together. It was barely holding on what looked like one thread but it did work.

IMG_7392.JPG

As I explained in an earlier post, do no harm to the original. I wasn't going to try to improve on that brass screw that looked like it was made with two rocks. There was clearance between the inside hammer face and the lock plate. The screw hole in the lock plate measured I think about 0.140" and somewhat round. I drew out in CAD (computer assisted drawing) a sketch of the room I had to work with. I ended up with a tapered plug with a lip, threaded 6-32 on center that could work. I had stainless steel screws and used that to assemble. The brass plug fit the hole good and I set I in place with a hammer tap or two. A check of the screw to make sure it was perpendicular to the plate and a first fit test.

IMG_7393.JPG

The brass insert is shown with the hammer puled back out of the way. The stainless screw will have to be replaced but for now I needed it to hold everything in place. I hand filed the brass until the hammer cleared without interference. At this time the hammer had to be secured in place to perform the insert work.

IMG_7407.JPG

Satisfied with fit I bought a slotted head brass screw long enough to replace the stainless screw with a Philips head. The brass screw has rolled threads with an tapered end at the thread. To just cut to length would be ugly. Lathe time required.

I have to hold the screw by the treads to get a clean cut off to length of the screw. The process I use is to machine a threaded collar that will hold the screw while it gets cut down. A lock washer and nut holds it tightly together while chucked in the lathe. After the screw is cut to length,, a light touch of a fine file does the last finish work.

Tap drill
IMG_7410.JPG

Cut the collar from stock
IMG_7411.JPG

Tap with a tap follower for nice straight threads
IMG_7412.JPG

Bolt up the screw with threads to be cut off sticking out
IMG_7413.JPG

Cut threads flush to the collar with the lathe
IMG_7414.JPG

Finished screw cut to length with a nice end cut
IMG_7415.JPG

With parts done, time to blacken the brass pieces.

IMG_7419.JPG

IMG_7421.JPG

In this picture shown below, when the hammer is in place on the post, there is metal above the hammer face. I have previously removed the peened metal holding the hammer in place, machined it flat, and left it to as close as possible to original size. I made a brass washer with square hole to match the post. I have excellent strike face on the cap in this configuration. the lock works without binding or slop.

I thing the Screw for the hammer is threaded 6-40, the tapered plug is 6-32. I had already made the tapered plug for a store bought 6-32 screw. I do know better than to use a 6-32 thread size for anything. At the time it was my intention to make this a presentable wall hanger. I will not do it again.

The hammer post is threaded 6-40 and was done in a milling machine to be precisely lined up and perpendicular. Bottoming tap from McMaster Carr. Screw from track of the Wolf.

IMG_7426.JPG

I don't like the head diameter in the tabbed washer. Later on I can machine a replacement screw with a larger head that looks like what an original screw should. For now it works, few would see the difference. Some research required for this to learn if it should be a slotted head screw or a post requiring a tool.

IMG_7427.JPG

IMG_7422.JPG

Grenadier 1758,

Thank you, I am very reluctant to replace the screw because I do not know what the original thread size was. Age has taken the threads. I can certainly make a a screw to fit from steel if I ever discover the information.

I did find a complete lock at TOW that looks like this lock. It did not occur to me to replace the lock or the lock plate.

There is no reason I couldn't just make a copy of the lock plate. Drill new holes, tap with proper threads and transfer parts.

If the lever that engages the trigger location is correct on a replacement lock I could swap it out with the original.

I am going to move forward from here to determine the safety of firing round ball. If this becomes a shooter, I will replace the lock or lock plate.

Terrific.

Dave

Well I stuck a cleaning rag and cleaning rod tip in the barrel.

Tried using the brand new can of Ballistol and let some soak in the bore.

I thought I would blow it out with compressed air. No, that was a complete failure. So, tried a worm. Fail.

My hands were so greasy dirty I couldn't get them clean. Had to get the sugar out, added liquid dish detergent, that cleaned my hands good.

Done for the day.

Next up

May as well take the barrel out, soak the plug end from the bore with iodine, remove the cap chamber thing, remove the plug from the barrel. Drive out the jam.

Measure rate of twist and inspect the bore.

Latest posts

Back