• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whitetail Habits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure when hunting there are usually deer nearby that we simply do not see. The few times I attempted bow hunting I heard sounds behind me. When I looked it was a line of deer but if I turned for a shot they took off. I fixed that by painting eyes on the back of my cap. In my yard we see many deer daily. At dusk I am always impressed by how nearly invisible they become. Often I will not see a certain deer until it moves. As for the p&p thing, I'm with the other guys, I don't believe it is an issue.

If you take daily meds they can make your urine smell differently from normal urine.

That’s why I choose too not pee in my hunting ground.

Deer are prey animals. Whitetails rely on stealth as their defense. Mule deer tend to rely more on seeing the predator before the predator sees them.

The whitetail isn't necessarily alerted to a specific scent, other than a buck to a female in heat...., the whitetail is alerted to something "different". So say you used apple scent and you are nowhere near an orchard, or corn scent and you are nowhere near a corn crop or a feeder. THAT may hinder your success as suddenly to the deer's senses, something is very different.

So when it comes to pathways, deer are smelling the disturbed ground...the loam scent. They don't look down and think "hooman fut mark, must flee"...they smell the loam scent that they would've made, probably stronger so maybe they think several deer have passed , so they are not sure if they are not following other deer. So one might have second thoughts about adding to that scent by dousing one's boots with fox pee.

The same things apply to scents from common detergents. The deer may be a tad cautious when they pick up the scent of lye soap from a human's face or clothes..., but "lavender and lace scent" from clothing washed in detergent, or if you slathered yourself with Irish Spring deodorant soap, and now you "smell like you're worth exploring"...to a deer you smell like you're worth avoiding. ;)

So as for scents, I rinse my hunting clothes with plain lye soap, and my outer layer I expose to wood-smoke, preferably hickory. I was taught this by a rather accomplished "primitive" hunter, and it doesn't seem to bother the deer one whit. In fact very early one morning a buck caught wind of me, and instead of leaving he turned, and took a few steps toward me and snorted twice while pawing the ground. I also scrape down through the surface leaves to a patch of "bare" ground beneath. Moves twigs away from my feet, and causes more loam scent. I hunt from the ground.

the other thing is movement and color. Now deer don't see color as we do, but they do see tint. IF you're dressed like a walking road-cone, and you're backed up to a dark, thick wall of tree trunks...they see the bright spot that wasn't there before. Remember the idea that they don't like "different". Well folks, in such a scenario, you are different. So the plain lye soap that I use on my hunting clothing (repro 18th century OR modern) also has no color brighteners. In fact I fill the washing machine with hot water at night. I dissolve grated lye soap in the water. I turn it off and go to bed. The heat from the water heater has destroyed the chlorine that I get from town-water-supply, and the next morning the water is room temp. I then gently wash the clothes. Then I drip dry (them drier sheets will leave residue inside the drier drum and defeat you attempt at low scent. ) Lacking chlorine the clothes don't lighten in color, and also lacking are the "brighteners" found in detergent. Basically I'm trying to recreate what my clothes would be like if there was a bar of lye soap and creek with some rocks, to wash the clothing in.

I pick a spot where I've seen deer travel, and try to find the bedding area or the food or the water, so to set up on the paths in between such. I find some brush to get among to break up my outline, so my presence is not too much of a "change". Apparently a broken pattern in my hunter-orange gear is much less change for the deer than a big, honking chunk of blaze-orange out in the open. Also my silhouette I think is important. The fact that the bush on the edge of the meadow is a bit fatter when I'm in it doesn't seem to alert the deer, but a new fat bush in an otherwise empty meadow..., they do seem to dislike that.

I move slow. I try not to make noise. Sometimes it can't be helped. When I must move I step very slowly and I pause a lot, and most importantly I pay attention to the wind.

LD

Last edited:
If you take daily meds they can make your urine smell differently from normal urine.

That’s why I choose too not pee in my hunting ground.
As a few of you can attest to but likely see it as taboo to broach, chemo will make your bowel movements smell VERY inhuman. Leaving my hunting spot is not possible, so my hope is the animals also deem the odour not human in nature.
Walk

and my outer layer I expose to wood-smoke, preferably hickory.
Interesting. When I took my trapping course the pro trappers swore by using a charred piece of firewood from the camp fire for a lure. They claimed all kinds of fur bearing critters were attracted to it out of curiosity. Not afraid of the scent at all. And char wont bring an eagle in and get you into trouble with the green police.
I hang my hunting clothes outside but I might have to give smoke a try.

Santa delivered Barry Wenzel's 2 DVD set "Out and about" to me. As those of us that are also traditional bowhunters know, the Wenzel brothers are quite possibly the best Whitetail hunters ever...certainly in an elite group at the top. This DVD set is Barry, mostly in the woods, talking about how he sets up.

I haven't watched all four hours yet, but the first topic was scent control and his answer to one of the most frequent questions he gets...."Can I pee out of my stand?" Here's his answer in brief (based on his experiments over many years). YES...in fact it's preferable to getting out of your stand to do it. Per his observations, deer and other animals pay virtually no attention to human urine or spit (I'll talk about that in a bit). But from his observations, they will often turn inside out when crossing a fresh human "track." He said that time and again he has witnessed them walk right downwind of fresh human urine completely unconcerned only to freak out when they hit the track taken to go make the "deposit." He has also witnessed this with #2...not that one can do that out of the stand, but he cautions not to walk where you think the deer will come from if you have to get out to do that deed. He said he's been peeing out of his tree stands for 30 years.

In addition, and he claims there was no disrespect...it was all for experimentation...he has spit on at least 5-6 different species with both normal saliva and chewing tobacco (whitetail, mule deer, elk, black bear, and grizzly mentioned) and they did not react at all...except for a bear that he accidentally hit in the eye with a load of Red Man juice that he said turned inside out and did a back flip! He has even had deer lick the tobacco juice off themselves completely unconcerned.

All that said, he is VERY conscious of any scent created by human gland secretions and the fact that bacteria that form due to sweat moisture and create BO (not the sweat itself) will put deer on high alert.

The other technique he uses is making trails with a weed whip to direct their travel.

Since these both have been topics of this thread, I thought I'd just pass along the viewpoints of one of America's greatest Whitetail hunters.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back