• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

White residue on round balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The white powdery coating on lead ..is it cause by exposure to air? How can I stop it from forming.

Try spraying them with a little WD-40, Just remember that the white coating is toxic lead oxide. I'd wear rubber gloves. when removing it.

That stuff is what "rust" looks like on lead.
You can throw'm in a bucket with a little soapy water and wash'm.
Or do like C6 said; Put'm all on a big rag, spray with WD40, flop the rag over the top and rub the stuff off.
Do throw away the rag and wash your hands.

Everyone knows lead is a systemic toxin, don't eat lead.
The thing with the white powder doesn't make it more toxic,, it's just easier to transfer to your hands/fingers. Don't grab a smoke, or eat a sandwich when your fingers are covered with the powder, day after day for weeks on end.
Wash your hands after handling and all is well.

I've b-been handllingss,lead for yers, aand thngs r j-just fine. n-No pprublems at all.

The white stuff like others have said is oxidation. It’s caused by exposure to the moisture in the air. I’ve shot pounds and pounds of them with the white stuff on them.. no difference in performance was noticed. As others have stated, wash your hands after shooting.

The white powdery coating on lead ..is it cause by exposure to air? How can I stop it from forming.

You might try keeping them in Chocolate sauce. No, wait, that might tempt you to lick the stuff off before you shoot them. Best to ignore it, like I've done for the las fifty-something years. I've not noticed that it makes the slightest difference.

Latest posts

Back