• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

White corn mix recipes for trekking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, about a week and I usually cheat by sticking it in a barely warm (not hot) oven to jumpstart the process.. I imagine the air in New Mexico is quite dry so you'll have that advantage. A dry day and hot sun will do the trick.
If you've handles a piconcillo then you know what the end result should be like.

I also tried making brown sugar cubes for coffee They are much harder to make and mold by hand.
Thanks for the tip!

Very early NAs used a somewhat similar method. They pounded maize into coarse flour, made a thick paste with water, formed balls which they boiled until cooked. They then set them on something near the fire and hardened the outside.

I did that with yellow cornmeal and it worked like a charm, made corn bread which you could hold in your hand and eat.

View attachment 5361 View attachment 5362

Spence
Spence,
I like that idea!
Almost like pone-pemmican if you add chopped dried fruit like apples and/or those ground nut meats you mention.
Be good food to eat on the move

20190228_184706.jpg

About 1/2 cup of fine cornmeal
20190228_184826.jpg

Enough boiling water to make a stiff dough
20190228_185312.jpg

One side frying in vegetable oil on medium heat (bacon grease would work too)
20190228_185442.jpg

Other side fying
20190228_185805.jpg

Sprinkle with Sugar or Maple sugar and enjoy. Maple syrup works too as does a bit of cinnamon and/or fresh-grated nutmeg
20190228_190012.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back