• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

White corn mix recipes for trekking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sicilian Hunter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a recipe for Hoe cakes that one may make on the trail that would be a little more fortified than just white corn flour and water made into a pan cake and fried in bacon grease.
Not that I have a problem with that if it was what I had at the time and in a situation where food was simply just a fuel.
What I am asking is : does anyone have a recipe they enjoy that has a little more to it than just the flour that is pre-mixed and easily prepared on the trail?

Best I got is this,

Grandmother's Johnny cake (1776) from the Sweet Home cookbook printed in 1888

"One quart Indian meal, teaspoonful of salt, scalded well with boiling water. Bake half an inch thick, when done cut into squares for the table . very nice split through the middle and dipped in melted butter."

I'll admit I haven't tried this recipe, but it is a period recipe. I usually cheat and use Jiffy if I'm making corn somethings.

Best I got is this,

"One quart Indian meal, teaspoonful of salt, scalded well with boiling water. Bake half an inch thick, when done cut into squares for the table . very nice split through the middle and dipped in melted butter."

I'll admit I haven't tried this recipe, but it is a period recipe. I usually cheat and use Jiffy if I'm making corn somethings.
I may have to give it a go in the controlled environment of my kitchen just to see.
Light on ingredients but that's not a bad thing.
I've also been wondering if meal is more appropriate than flour

I definitely believe in kitchen testing. I also cook in the back yard over a fire for testing. Although I am of the mindset that no matter how hard we try to duplicate a recipe from the past, it will never taste the same as it did back then. even if you give two people the exact same recipe and the exact same ingredients, the end products will not taste exactly the same.

I'm happy if something I cook is edible at the end.

At one time, I carried a bag of cornmeal/flour (50:50) with a little baking powder and salt. I soaked some chopped dried apples in water and then mixed them with the above mix to make a stiff dough which was fried in bacon grease. Eaten as-is or with a sprinkle of sugar.

I now make a hot water cornbread that is fried as a cake and sprinkled with sugar.

If you're not worried about authenticity: When I bake bread, biscuits, or corn bread at home, I add nutritional yeast, ground hemp seeds, and either wheat germ or ground flax seeds. A scant tablespoonful each per serving. If the dough seems stiff, add a drop more water. Doesn't seem to affect rising.

I definitely believe in kitchen testing. I also cook in the back yard over a fire for testing. Although I am of the mindset that no matter how hard we try to duplicate a recipe from the past, it will never taste the same as it did back then. even if you give two people the exact same recipe and the exact same ingredients, the end products will not taste exactly the same.

I'm happy if something I cook is edible at the end.
Tried a modified version of the recipe as a johnny/hoe cake.
Came out pretty good, I added brown sugar and it made for a good addition to my morning coffee.
I used my horn spoon (4 mounded spoons of white meal) half spoon of sugar and quarter sized amount of salt in my palm.
I fried them in olive oil but bacon grease would be better and maybe eliminate the need for the salt.

If you're not worried about authenticity: When I bake bread, biscuits, or corn bread at home, I add nutritional yeast, ground hemp seeds, and either wheat germ or ground flax seeds. A scant tablespoonful each per serving. If the dough seems stiff, add a drop more water. Doesn't seem to affect rising.
Nyck,
Have you tried that in the field ?

Came out pretty good, I added brown sugar and it made for a good addition to my morning coffee..

I make mini sugar cones, even smaller than a Mexican piconcillo.
I take brown sugar and just lightly wet it using a spray bottle (careful not to over wet it and melt it) then press it into a plastic disposable shot glasses, then allow them to fully dry. Once dry I remove them usually by breaking the plastic shot glass.
The end result is a nice hard dry sugar cone of packable size.

Cooking is a great way to enjoy the outdoors.

Best I got is this,

What is Indian meal?

Thanks Black Hand. That's what I thought, just wanted to be sure. Why was it called Indian meal and not corn meal?
Perhaps because Maize was grown by the Indians prior to the Whites getting here (Maize was unknown in Europe until the discovery of the New World). That would be my thought.

"Corn" was also the Old World term for a grain rather than a specific type of grain. Also, the root of the "Corned" in Corned-beef, which in this case, indicated preservation with granules of salt.

Perhaps because Maize was grown by the Indians prior to the Whites getting here (Maize was unknown in Europe until the discovery of the New World). That would be my thought.

"Corn" was also the Old World term for a grain rather than a specific type of grain. Also, the root of the "Corned" in Corned-beef, which in this case, indicated preservation with granules of salt.
Interesting and makes sense. Thanks again.

Yep! Black Hand is spot on.

Now I came across a recipe for Maizena pudding and had to look up what maizena was. It's corn starch.

Back