• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whistling balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaeger

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried drilling a round ball crossways to get it to whistle when fired? If so, does it have to be done a particular way? The idea of whistling balls is intriguing.

I don't know but Maxi Balls out of my ArmiSport CS Richmond whistle when I shoot them at longer ranges. It's like "BOOOM -whistling sound fading into the distance - thwack"

Round balls and Minies just kinda make a whoosh sound occasionally , like a baseball being thrown

I'd guess that a round ball with a hole in it would upset the travel of it and it would violently curve somewhere

Mr papercartridges has the sound of a few incoming Whitworth bullets on one of his excellent Youtube movies.

Having been in the target pits with Whitworth rifles shooting from the other end, I can vouch for the fact that they have a unique and unmistakeably whirring whistle, probably due to their shape. They don't need holes to whistle.

I can also vouch for the fact that even at 800 yards they go clear through a railroad tie and beyond. Collecting one such bullet in the face - like General Sedgwick did at Spotsylvania Courthouse in May of 1864 - is not something I care much to even imagine. I doubt he knew anything about it.

Last edited:
Mr papercartridges has the sound of a few incoming Whitworth bullets on one of his excellent Youtube movies.

Having been in the target pits with Whitworth rifles shooting from the other end, I can vouch for the fact that they have a unique and unmistakeably whirring whistle, probably due to their shape. They don't need holes to whistle.

I can also vouch for the fact that even at 800 yards they go clear through a railroad tie and beyond. Collecting one such bullet in the face - like General Sedgwick did at Spotsylvania Courthouse in May of 1864 - is not something I care much to even imagine. I doubt he knew anything about it.
We weren't in the target pit when it happened. Perhaps I should explain.
We (me and my 2 sons) were hunting during muzzleloader only & archery season. We stopped to take a break and sat on a log for rest and a snack. In back was a pretty good size depression or gully in the mountains. It is usually extremely quiet in the mountains of the Greenhorn Wilderness. BTW: this was back in the late 1990's when I was younger and my hearing pretty damned good. Shortly I heard a faint whistling sound, and immediately grabbed my boys and said "hit the ground". That projectile whitled right overhead. Seemed like I'd been through that situation before. Needless to say, we went looking for the guilty party or parties..."hence Know where you are shooting"....that projectile, even from a smokepole can travel further than you think.

Cannon shoot at Worcester NY June 2016 the balls cast of zinc sound like they tearing their way through the air

Attachments

• 0603171015.jpg
    0603171015.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 120
True story; back when I used to jump from steel birds on weekends, we had this guy who bragged that he wore "8lbs of metal" in all his face piercings.
I swear it, and Yes, his piercings whistled in free fall at 120mph...I have heard it with me own two ears!!!

Now back to Whistling Balls...

We weren't in the target pit when it happened. Perhaps I should explain.
We (me and my 2 sons) were hunting during muzzleloader only & archery season. We stopped to take a break and sat on a log for rest and a snack. In back was a pretty good size depression or gully in the mountains. It is usually extremely quiet in the mountains of the Greenhorn Wilderness. BTW: this was back in the late 1990's when I was younger and my hearing pretty damned good. Shortly I heard a faint whistling sound, and immediately grabbed my boys and said "hit the ground". That projectile whitled right overhead. Seemed like I'd been through that situation before. Needless to say, we went looking for the guilty party or parties..."hence Know where you are shooting"....that projectile, even from a smokepole can travel further than you think.

Good reflexes....glad everyone was okay.

Has anyone ever tried drilling a round ball crossways to get it to whistle when fired? If so, does it have to be done a particular way? The idea of whistling balls is intriguing.
Do you intend to use hyper sonic or sub sonic velocities?
What caliber and ball size used??

Celticstoneman is correct. I just saw an episode of "Rome's Secret Weapons" on the Smithsonian Channel. They found lots of drilled out pellets the size of large marbles at a Roman battle site in Scotland. The conclusion is that they were sling shots that doubled as a terror weapon, much like the sirens on Stukas (their analogy, not mine).

Back