• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

whiskeys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a whiskey/whisky drinker.

Single malt Scotch most of my life (thanks to an old friend from Aberdeen)- Lagavulin and Laphroaig are my favorites, both Islay malts. But I have tried more than I can count, not ALL because they keep coming out with new labels. Some are great. Some are not worth drinking. All are overpriced.

Rye - the original American whiskey. And still the best. Old Potrero from San Francisco. Local Pittsburgh distiller, Wigle Whiskey, makes outstanding Rye. Use Bulleit in my pancakes (95% straight Rye and 5% Irish). Old Overholt was my first taste of whiskey (Henry Clay Frick's Grandfather). The finest hotels of Paris once advertised: "We proudly serve Monongahela Rye Whiskeys!"

And Rye was the whiskey that Alexander Hamilton (The largest distiller in the Country) hit with his Whiskey Tax, which started the Whiskey Rebellion.

I've had real "potcheen" from Ireland (delicious!) and double-run moonshine from Virginia (smooth and strong!). Best of all was the Italian brandy - Grappa- a couple of friends used to make...flavored with herbs from Italy, it was the purest liquor I've ever had, and delicious. So potent that a match held under a spoonful would produce a brilliant blue flame that would burn "forever". And it was kind to you the next day. (As are all the above.)

I could go on, but I'm going to go to one or the other of my liquor cabinets, peruse the many bottles (half are yet unopened!) and have a wee taste before I go to bed. All this talk has made me thirsty.

Slainte,
Richard/Grumpa

Not a whiskey consumer. I keep a bottle of cheap Canadian around for true medicinal purposes. Sore throats, chills etc. (A pint of hot lemonade, hot as can be stood, three table spoons of honey and three shots of whiskey. Chug it down. 20 minutes later you won't care how you feel.) OTH, once in a great while a little in a glass for sipping hits the spot. Five years ago, I was given a bottle of 18 year Glenlivet. I might be about a third of the way to the bottom.

zimmerstutzen said:
Not a whiskey consumer. I keep a bottle of cheap Canadian around for true medicinal purposes. Sore throats, chills etc. (A pint of hot lemonade, hot as can be stood, three table spoons of honey and three shots of whiskey. Chug it down. 20 minutes later you won't care how you feel.) OTH, once in a great while a little in a glass for sipping hits the spot. Five years ago, I was given a bottle of 18 year Glenlivet. I might be about a third of the way to the bottom.

Yes, whiskey, honey, and lemon warm is great for colds and sore throats. Its the only thing good about getting a cold

I am a whiskey drinker. I like single malt Scotch, non-Islay. Glenlivet is my favorite. An old drunk's tale is that Bourbon whiskey must come from Bourbon County, KY. I won a $50 bet that it did not. Bourbon has 51% corn. The rest is other grains, barley and wheat mostly. Rebel Yell is a wheated whiskey. Low on the shelves. I've never bought any real expensive Bourbon, like Pappy.

1. It must be made in the United States. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't have to be made in Kentucky, although 95 percent of the world's supply is.

2. Aging must take place in a new, charred, oak barrel. The bourbon must be aged for at least two years to be considered a straight bourbon.

3. The mash must be at least 51 percent corn.

4. The whiskey cannot enter the barrel at higher than 125 proof. It cannot enter the bottle at a proof less than 80.

5. Nothing can be added but water and only to lessen the proof when necessary. Other whiskeys can add color and flavor. Not bourbon, it must be au naturel.

May 4, 1964, that federal regulations recognized bourbon as a unique product and put specific laws on the books to ensure quality standards of bourbon.

fleener

I bet all of you one thing. Take two shots of your best like whiskey, then line up five shots from bottom shelf to top shelf, and guess what, you would not be able to tell the different, been there and done that. So now I am going to save all of you some of your hard earn money. First two shots drink top shelf, then the rest of the night drink bottom shelf.

Personally, I keep a 1/2 gallon fruit jar of GREAT double-run bust-head "white likker" around for "snakebite medicine".

You never know when you might be out & about & see a snake of some sort. - Best to not take a chance on being without a snort or 3.
(CHUCKLE)

yours, satx

Take two shots of your best like whiskey, then line up five shots from bottom shelf to top shelf, and guess what, you would not be able to tell the different, been there and done that.

Strawman Argument

First, one does not "shoot" single-malt whisky :nono: The distiller went to a lot of trouble in his dedicated life to infuse that beverage with a host of flavors. Committing sacrilege does not create a valid test. :wink:

I also guarantee that I could tell the difference between 25 year old Duncan Taylor Single Glen Moray :bow: , and Johnnie Walker Black Label :barf: , even after imbibing two servings of proper single malt, then starting the five "shot" test. :wink:

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
First, one does not "shoot" single-malt whisky :nono: The distiller went to a lot of trouble in his dedicated life to infuse that beverage with a host of flavors. Committing sacrilege does not create a valid test. :wink:

LD

:applause: :applause: Also a shot glass is probably the worst way to drink anything short of using a straw.... :haha:

Different people had different taste.

I like red wine and enjoy a glass on occasion. I can not tell the differences of red wines. I can only tell you if I like it or not.

For whiskeys, I think it somewhat the same. People can tell you if they like it or not, but have a hard time of telling them apart.

I have around 25 different whiskeys in my cabinet. Some have a fairly distinctive taste to me. Clyde May comes to mind.

If you lined up 5 whiskeys that I like, I do not think I could tell you what they are.

I have a friend that over the years has hosted several blind whiskey tastings.

The first two nights, Ten High won by a large margin both times. I did not pick it as my favorite.

One of my favorite whiskeys is Tempelton Rye. The last whiskey tastings we did, I ended up picking Tempelton Rye as my favorite. Not surprising, as I do really like it.

I have had some cheap stuff I really liked and some expensive stuff I did not care for.

I have some friends that own part intrest in a distillery. One year they had some of their whiskey at a party they were hosting. I put a couple of fingers on the rocks and it was horrible. I even mixed it with some pop. Still had a hard time drinking it. Another friend the same night ended up dumping his in the bathroom sink.

They have gotten much better now, and it is one that I enjoy.

Fleener

juice jaws said:
Colorado Clyde said:
I'll take that bet......What should we wager? :hmm:

Let's make it even more challenging and use Vodka instead.

Now you want to change horse's in the middle of the stream.

:haha: ....Ok, you got me....I was trying to make the test easier.....You see it is difficult to taste pee in pond water.....but, in a glass of distilled water I can smell it from across the room.

The less there is in what you're tasting, the more subtle nuances shine through.

I’m afraid I couldn’t finish the test in less then an hour. If it was less then say 20 min the forth shot might find me sitting still with a blank stare... or waxing philosophically after three or four.

tenngun said:
I’m afraid I couldn’t finish the test in less then an hour. If it was less then say 20 min the forth shot might find me sitting still with a blank stare... or waxing philosophically after three or four.

The key is tasting, not drinking.

Latest posts

Back