• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whiskey Picks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLWeaver

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Now that I've got your attention šŸ˜œ

My brother and I are planning on making a few style of whisk and picks sets for fun.

What is your favorite whisk and pick you own? What kind of chain do you prefer? Boar hair, horse hair, or brass bristles?
Brass, copper, stainless picks? Pictures of what you like would be awesome.

Thank you for your input! You are some of the most creative people I know!

Kelsey

I prefer a good single malt scotch, or on occasions a little clear liquid from a buddy in WVA. As to pan brushes I use boar bristle held in antler, picks run the gamut from a bent piece of wire to hand made with a twist, brass, silver what ever I come across, chain same situation some bought, some hand made. Let your imagination be your guide. That's the best I can do, no pics do not know how to get them in the computer then how to get them to the site tried numerous times and decided it was beyond driving myself crazy.

I have steel and brass pricks but rarely use them. A blast of air blows opens the touch hole. And a dry or damp swab can do it.
A thumb servers to wipe the pan or frozen face.
My brush is horse hair, but I canā€™t recall last time I used it.

Used to be any smooth blended Canadian chased by Labatts. Can still taste it. However , in 2005 ,my Dr. told me he would kill me if I didn't loose the booze................I fear him. Oh yea , favorite pan whisk , worn out tooth brush cut in half. Waste not want not.............oldwood

Tenngun has the idea. I use a damp rag (or patch) to clear the pan, flint, and frizzen. Prick with a pin. Never used the brush set that rides on my button, but it sure looks good for the ladies. As we sip bourbon.

ADK Bigfoot

Too many great whiskeys to pick just one. Wiser 18 year old, Basel Hayden dark Rye, Bookers, Blanton's, Whistle Pig, Templeton Rye. Also got a really good bottle of scotch as a thank you gift, for a scotch it aint half bad.

I dont have a whisk for my flinters. Perhaps I am missing something? Might need to pour a couple of fingers and contemplate this.

Fleener

I carry a brass pick that lives on my horn strap. I prefer a soft pick made of brass to a steel one. Canā€™t remember the last time I used my whisk. Maybe if I spill powder around the lock while priming it would be handy? I usually use my thumb or a patch to clean the fouling from the pan.

-Jake

I carry a smith-made, twisted iron pick (for show and occasional use) but usually use one hammer-formed from copper wire. My whisk is mule hair in a brass ferrule. I use it to clean up excess prime when priming from my horn and getting sloppy. Both on chain hung on my bag strap.

In the past 40 years or so I've probably had 4-5 whisks for my flinters. Since I've never had a use for one, they are quickly lost or thrown away.
Current touchhole pick is a piece of wire I picked up somewhere or other.

I`m a 40 Creek Copper fan myself, 50/50 whisky & water - i like bourbon after that.
pick is cold forged copper # 4 wire and i wipe the pan with a patch, or finger or shirt tail

Back