• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whiskey Flask Liner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep it drained that way the pitch will not go soft. Good whisky should not sit around long anyhow.
I was wondering about this. I’m not ‘much up’ on Boar culture and South African history. I have seen my share of rum horns and maybe had a sip or two from them.
they all tasted of horn
Ok my biggest powder horn holds about a pound of powder. That’s about a pint. Most of my horns closer to twelve ounces.
military ration at this time was four ounces. I will assume the Boar drank as much as Dutch relatives back home, so three or four days worth at the most, assuming they stayed as sober as a sailor at sea?
All rum horns I’ve seen were double ended, was full horn typical in Africa
If you warm a horn and paint the outside with wax will it soak through like it does on jackware?

I'm no expert on the subject, but I suspect that you don't need to line the horn with anything. Horn was the plastic of its day. I suspect that you just need to seal the top with a suitable material. The beeswax suggestions sounds good and won't alter the taste of the whiskey.

It sounds like what @JBrandon has said - you've discovered whisky is a solvent!

Note that I am new to horns, so all of this is more suggestion on troubleshooting procedures than speaking from experience! Grains of salt advised.

If I were in your shoes moccasins, I would try to go backwards with the horn to bring it as close to unlined as possible. I'd try to heat the horn and let the non-functioning pitch/wax flow out. I know that horn is softened by boiling, so I'd try low-temp in the oven first. Next, I might try to remove the remaining pitch residue with denatured alcohol.

At some point, I would decide I was "close enough" or that this horn was not worth continued effort, in which case I would start a new one. THAT decision is entirely personal!

While my horn was in the oven in step one, I'd gather a few other small, natural material pieces and make test vessels out of them - oak, pine, horn, bone, leather, bladder...? Then I'd try the pure beeswax recipe: line each of the test vessels, add whisky, wait 24 hours, then check for leaks in the vessels, taste the whisky & probe the beeswax to see if it had softened any.

Same process if I'd mixed some other liner recipe, beeswax & ingedient X, etc.

Once I was satisfied with my test vessels, I'd re-line the horn and fill it up.

My two cents. Good luck with your horn!

SAOutdoors. .............My alcohol experience was governed by taste exclusively. When drinking a " Pittsburgh Martini," the taste of a shot of cheap bottom shelf blended whiskey , and a draft beer tastes a certain way. If one knocks back a shot of vodka , it tastes a certain way. If a shot of Canadian Lord Calvert is on the menu , the CLC has it's own persona. Ginger brandy , Palenkovak, (incorrect spelling) , Christian Brother's Brandy , West Va. mountain Moon shine , you pick , each has it's own unique taste..................My point , I became a purist , when I used to have to self medicate for survival. To contaminate any of the tastes would be a violation of my ethic. I can't have any alcohol nowadays , because the meds. I'm on , would kill me. Stopped enjoying alcohol in about 2005, but can still identify different flavors of drinks by remembering the taste. If good alcohol is contaminated by horn flavor , or any other dissolved compound , I would know , and not drink it..................oldwood

Raw whisky sold at rendezvous was diluted with river water, plugs of tobacco, molasses, hot pepper, flakes, and any odds and ins they had laying around.
How did the Boar treat tgeir whisky
For good whisky it was smoked and of course stored in oak

I have made several whiskey horns. "Pure" and very HOT beeswax works perfectly for sealing horn, or leather flasks. The wax does not soften in whiskey from my testing.
And the best part is, pure beeswax will not alter the precious flavors of the whiskey nectar either.

freedom475!

Now this is an answer I've been looking for!

I'm thinking then to line beeswax over the Brewer's Pitch I've already used inside. The pitch is rock hard when it's dried so I'm guessing the wax applied over it will protect it and keep it that way.

Thanks man!
SAO
I was wondering about this. I’m not ‘much up’ on Boar culture and South African history. I have seen my share of rum horns and maybe had a sip or two from them.
they all tasted of horn
Ok my biggest powder horn holds about a pound of powder. That’s about a pint. Most of my horns closer to twelve ounces.
military ration at this time was four ounces. I will assume the Boar drank as much as Dutch relatives back home, so three or four days worth at the most, assuming they stayed as sober as a sailor at sea?
All rum horns I’ve seen were double ended, was full horn typical in Africa
If you warm a horn and paint the outside with wax will it soak through like it does on jackware?

tenngun,

Thanks for your message.

My whiskey horn is also just a little over 12 ounces worth, quite a decent volume I think.

Now, the Boers weren't really rationed by a higher authority. Each Boer was essentially a farmer who had to provide for, and arm, himself. So with regards to how much they drank, this may have been relative to what they could carry - and they carried light - owing to their Commando style of fighting and moving; a system they are credited with inventing!

With regards to the porosity of horn: I have no idea if external wax application will absorb into the horn. I think horn porosity depends on the age of the horn, what it has been subjected to, and which animal does it come from.

Kind regards,
SAO

I'm no expert on the subject, but I suspect that you don't need to line the horn with anything. Horn was the plastic of its day. I suspect that you just need to seal the top with a suitable material. The beeswax suggestions sounds good and won't alter the taste of the whiskey.

fjrdoc,

In hindsight, I've also thought I should have left it un-lined. However, when I initially did my research, many sites said that un-lined horns would have posed health risks, hence my trouble of trying to find a natural liner to put in there.
Well, I've already used Brewer's Pitch which is soluble in strong spirits, so now I'm just going to line beeswax over that.

Kind regards,
SAO

It sounds like what @JBrandon has said - you've discovered whisky is a solvent!

Note that I am new to horns, so all of this is more suggestion on troubleshooting procedures than speaking from experience! Grains of salt advised.

If I were in your shoes moccasins, I would try to go backwards with the horn to bring it as close to unlined as possible. I'd try to heat the horn and let the non-functioning pitch/wax flow out. I know that horn is softened by boiling, so I'd try low-temp in the oven first. Next, I might try to remove the remaining pitch residue with denatured alcohol.

At some point, I would decide I was "close enough" or that this horn was not worth continued effort, in which case I would start a new one. THAT decision is entirely personal!

While my horn was in the oven in step one, I'd gather a few other small, natural material pieces and make test vessels out of them - oak, pine, horn, bone, leather, bladder...? Then I'd try the pure beeswax recipe: line each of the test vessels, add whisky, wait 24 hours, then check for leaks in the vessels, taste the whisky & probe the beeswax to see if it had softened any.

Same process if I'd mixed some other liner recipe, beeswax & ingedient X, etc.

Once I was satisfied with my test vessels, I'd re-line the horn and fill it up.

My two cents. Good luck with your horn!

Hi windini,

I actually didn't think the whiskey would dissolve the pitch. When it hardened in the pot I made it in, it was like glass and could not be dented - hence my suprise that whiskey actually softened it, lesson learned I guess.

Your advice is appreciated though. I have indeed tried to melt it all out already by lighting a candle and holding the horn upside-down over it. A lot dripped out. But, because it's highly viscous, residue did stay behind. I must say, this method of melting beautifully lined the horn. But now I'm thinking to just line beeswax over it. I don't see wax disturbing the pitch, nor allowing the whiskey to de-nature it.

I figure the horn is worth the effort to make functional. It's my first drinking horn and so much work has already gone into it, I mean I split the wooden lid twice before with tacks: what you see in the picture is my third attempt at a lid.

Anyhow, thanks again and all the best with your horn too - it definitely is an interesting craft.

Kind regards,
SAO

Hello SAO.Welcome.I Love your country.Shot some mid and long range.in CT and BLUM years ago..Had fun with my companies SA agents around Pretoria and Kruger.
Surely you have the contents wrong. Shouldn't that be CAPE SMOKE.. OLD DOG from Middle UK..

Hello SAO.Welcome.I Love your country.Shot some mid and long range.in CT and BLUM years ago..Had fun with my companies SA agents around Pretoria and Kruger.
Surely you have the contents wrong. Shouldn't that be CAPE SMOKE.. OLD DOG from Middle UK..

GREENSWLDE,

Thanks for the greetings.

I'm glad you've enjoyed your time here before.

But please forgive me, I don't understand what you mean concerning Cape Smoke and incorrect contents?

Kind regards,
SAO

Hi SAO, Cape Smoke was the name given to Rough Farm made Peach Brandy. Surprised you haven't come across the name before. Another one I came across was CANE SPIRIT. Good for cleaning your teeth,also took the skin from the roof of your mouth..Which bit do you come from?? C.T. Muzzle loaders are a Nice Crowd ..
Thanks for the Good wishes. Stay Well.. OLD DOG..

How was moonshine handled then. In frontier America many distilled at home, but it was primarily done by a local maker who served a community
It was a never ending competition between he who brewed and he who taxed

Hi SAO, Cape Smoke was the name given to Rough Farm made Peach Brandy. Surprised you haven't come across the name before. Another one I came across was CANE SPIRIT. Good for cleaning your teeth,also took the skin from the roof of your mouth..Which bit do you come from?? C.T. Muzzle loaders are a Nice Crowd ..
Thanks for the Good wishes. Stay Well.. OLD DOG..

Hi there,

Oh no I haven't come across that before, I'm not really a brandy drinker. But cane spirit is quite good, although I don't drink that either much. I'm more of a whiskey and beer chap. I like wine too but only French wine, not Cape-made wine.

I'm from the Lower Albany district, Grahamstown to be specific - one of the sites of many frontier battles.

I'm not familiar with the C.T. group, but here in the frontier region we have our own group, mostly just us farmers who get together and organize shoots or hunts.

Kind regards,
SAO

Back