• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

While we are talking Green River Rifle Works guns.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner

40 Cal
Reaction score
SUBJECT: While we are talking Green River Rifle Works guns .....

Doc White always has ideas floating around in his head. In June 2006 "Muzzle Loading Manufacturer’s Match" came up at Friendship, Indiana, the White Team elected to use the new Varminter rather than last years .410 caliber Super 91. With this in mind I want a traditional style target rifle.

Doc White and Carl Walker [ GRRW.CA designers & custom muzzleloading gunsmiths ] are now in the process of doing a special project for me (still a muzzle-loader, but a little different). Doc is known for his different ventures in the muzzleloading field and this is right down his alley. We have been asked if we would consider such a build by several of you.

I told the guys let's build one of these in the traditioal style and see what our customers think. A .367 caliber slip-fit bullet percussion rifle with a 1-14 barrel twist. Special order to get this twist.

Barrel is ordered and we are gathering the rest of the parts now.

The DST was unusual in Britain. SST were sometimes used. Note that the most consistent part is the lock and breeching. The Maton's had the strongest system around, that's what we will use.

newphoto5ee3989715f8c.jpg

Sporting Target Rifle with tall rear peep and Globe front sight, good for clover leaf tightness (5) shot groups at 300 yards..

Thank you

This will be a whole new experience for me "slip-fit" bullets ? Have always shot patched round ball guns or black powder shotguns. Like said "A whole new learning experience", at least I'll have a good teacher with Doc White. He believes in the caliber and has lots of experience with it, says we will start at 200 yards then work out to 300 yards for starters.

Doc ought to know... I expect you will be cleaning the bore a lot, I have tried working up a load that can be fired multiple times without swabbing. (This in a .40 caliber) to get the velocity I wanted I need 65 grains or more and it fouls pretty quick. With slip fit grease grooved bullets sized .396 you can fire three or four times. But it really likes a paper patched 340 grain bullet sized .400 after patching. The rifle weighs 8# and it’s becoming a favorite.

Doc ought to know... I expect you will be cleaning the bore a lot, I have tried working up a load that can be fired multiple times without swabbing. (This in a .40 caliber) to get the velocity I wanted I need 65 grains or more and it fouls pretty quick. With slip fit grease grooved bullets sized .396 you can fire three or four times. But it really likes a paper patched 340 grain bullet sized .400 after patching. The rifle weighs 8# and it’s becoming a favorite.

We have found several companies that Doc likes their wares for this rifle.

https://bullshop.weebly.com/bullets....htmlhttps://bullshop.weebly.com/bullets.html~Bullets ~ has 36 Caliber NEI (9.3mm - .368 - 280 grains) lubed bullets as well as paper patched ones that are what we need.
368-285-FN-W3 | NOE Bullet Moulds has
368-285-FN-W3 bullets too.

noe.jpg

I just got off the phone with Doc changing the order a little with making the stock extra fancy grain (upgraded), shot gun steel checkered butt plate, checkered wrist and forearm and charcoal blued metal parts. Should look like one of the fancy English guns of that period when Pope was in his hay day. Have you read the fascinating article by Maj. C. W. Hinman first appeared in Arms And The Man, 4 March 1915. It offers insight into long range rifle shooting in the US during the 1880s, and is a rich resource for contemporary detail on practices of the time.

That’s gonna be an amazing rifle!

Very interesting article by Major Hinman. There have long been giants among us.

Last edited:
Back