• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which story is most movie worthy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This could never be done today, but another good movie about Rogers Rangers would be great! Something which will probably be made at some point is a movie about the Henry Berry Lowry Gang. I personally do not like this show that much, but I hope that Outlander will get more serious about showing some cool guns and rifles. They have shown a blue Type G tradegun though!

Last edited:
I agree with @smo Kings Mountain would make for a great movie. Actually two movies. An version for older viewers akin to "The Patriot" and a version for younger viewers based off the book, "Issac -Trek to Kings Mountain" by J. Wayne Fears.
If you haven't read it, do so. Supposed to be a kids book, but, I thoroughly enjoyed the light read. Read it to your kids or grandkids. Maybe buzz for a movie could be generated.

How about a movie based on the book "White Devil?"
Probably couldn't be made though, the political correctness crowd would lose their minds.

Obviously would need a title change, but, this could make a good movie,
View attachment 107206
I just couldn't type the whole title out.

Another good book that could be good for young and old if made into a movie would be, "A Danvis Pioneer: a story of one of Ethan Allen's Green Mountain Boys," by Rowland Evans Robinson.
Some stories from the follow up books would make good additions the movie or sequels.

Ted Turner would be the guy to make it happen, or a HBO series on Rogers Rangers, with an equal appreciation of their French counterparts, perhaps leading into and including Kings Mountain, Ethan Allens Green Mountain boys etc.

The movie Master and Commander well proved that the viewing public certainly pay to enjoy historical movies, accepting of course some big names are involved; Russel Crowe; Tom Hardy etc ?

Last edited:
I think "The Generals Of Saratoga" book would make a great movie. It has a lot going for it:
Famous generals on both sides
Incredible longrifle shooting
Turning point of the war (France gives real support after the battle).

No doubt there will be an insipid Lerve story dove tailed into it, Madonna in a Georgian era G string ?

Sadly too much to expect from Movies nowadays, never the less "Beggars cant be Choosers" so learn to tolerate the obvious inaccuracies if the overall viewing is reasonably dominated by era "authenticity" and interesting characters.
Dont get me wrong, I grew up on Disneys Davy Crockett and Daniel Boon. It started my interest but every time I'd watch either show it would start a further interest in that particular story or the new character. I run right over to the world book encyclopedia set in the living room and sadly most times there would be little or nothing at all on the story or character. The internet has only made that worse for me. There's no reason to dramatize some of these people, their story stands on its own. The Revenant is a perfect example. While the locations and period correct gear was awesome, I found myself struggling not to leave the theater during the final scenes. It was very exciting but I just felt like the writers were tired at the end and could not depict the storys ending as it really happened. (And in some ways was way more epic then the movies ending)
Neil

It might be interesting to see a movie made of the life of "Lewis Wetzel". I'm not sure how it would go over in the public eye because Lewis was a nut case and very violent, they don't call him the dark hero of the Ohio for nothing.

Maybe the Story of Beckworth, as he told it. A black western hero. As historically accurate (sic) as Joe Meeks biography, rivers west. And since he is black could appeal to the woke crowd.
De Sabal the founder of Chicago too would be a good and a politically correct story that I would pay to see.

Kings Mountain is a great topic but challenging to present for an audience beyond historians and BP enthusiasts. It has no women and no historic or logical potential for a love story. Truth be told, its a great story about Americans fighting other Americans , both sides equally committed, but that's a scary concept these days and BP guerilla warriors would be hard to sell to the financial backers.

I'd love to see something that featured small cannons, pivot guns and small boat-mounted cannons used along with rifles as pistols as part of a well-armed private river expedition.

I think if I could only pick one, I’d go with Lewis and Clark.
Hopefully the director would stay at least close to historically accurate. Casting correctly would be extremely important also. I’d prefer not see Merriweather Lewis played by Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson.

I enjoyed all these comments, but not one of them would have any impact on the younger folks today. They simply don't care and have no interest history. If you want to pique their interest in muzzleloaders it would have to be some type of super hero, zombie apocalypse thing with lots of explosions and computer generated imaging.
I think you are onto something here Columbus!!!
It might be interesting to see a movie made of the life of "Lewis Wetzel". I'm not sure how it would go over in the public eye because Lewis was a nut case and very violent, they don't call him the dark hero of the Ohio for nothing.
Lew Wetzel as the protagonist would fit right in with the theme of Columbus' movie!!!! Heck, I'd even like to see that one.
Robby

The Billy Dixon incident at the 2nd Battle of Abobe Walls, Texas. He borrowed a 50-90 Sharp's (some say from Bat Masterson) and shot an Indian from his horse at 1,500 yards. Or his participation in the Buffalo Wallow fight. This one earned him a Medal of Honor.

I think you are onto something here Columbus!!!

Lew Wetzel as the protagonist would fit right in with the theme of Columbus' movie!!!! Heck, I'd even like to see that one.
Robby
You might be right. his early life was much the same as any kid of the time but when he was captured by the natives he turned into something much worse. He hunted and taunted them for the remainder of his life. The natives came to fear him for his skills of woodsmanship and as a brutal fighter. He grew his hair very long and told natives to come and take it if they can, they never did.

Kings Mountain is a great topic but challenging to present for an audience beyond historians and BP enthusiasts. It has no women and no historic or logical potential for a love story.
Try reading the kids book I mentioned in my post. "Issac, Trek to Kings Mountain"
Has the potential for a movie that could be geared to young adults/older kids that their parents might enjoy too,,, or,,,, a movie for adults with an interest.

Personally, I think, if we are trying for a movie that will inspire an interest in muzzleloading and history, aiming at a younger audience is a good idea.

New book out on Jim Bridger that challenges the "fact" that he abandoned Hugh Glass. Author insists it was not him for someone named Bridges. William or Bill Hamilton wrote a book called my forty (?) years on the Plains as a trapper trader and Indian Fighter. I've handled his 3 barrel swivel rifle built by M. L. Rood of Denver and his bowie knife. He was quite a braggart in his book. He came out West after the last rendezvous and mentored by Old Bill Williams.

Latest posts

Back