• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which story is most movie worthy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Story of Survival by Elizabeth Boyer
It is the true story of Margaurite de la Roque, whom was a member of the first attempt to establish a French colony in Canada In 1542. She was marooned on an island off the Newfoundland/Straight of Belle Isle, along with a servant lady and a young man. She had a baby but everyone died but her. She survived for 2 years alone, using a matchlock musket to hunt meat and scare off bears.
She was rescued by fishermen and returned to France.

I refuse to believe there is an answer equal to any of the books written by Jim Corbett. Leopard of Rudrapryag as a film would be a nail biter.

The BBC did a low budget one of this but it was pretty crappy, and diverged much from Corbett's views and actions.
Jim Corbett was the best that ever lived. He was a natural phenomenon as a hunter and the world may never see his equal again. I do not believe that any movie studio could do his accomplishments justice.

Kings Mountain!
That would be a good one to turn into a movie, if and only if they stick to what actually happened and don't inject some hyper-fantasy, CGI characters from space into the plot line. The story of Hugh Glass, if based on facts is incredible but to add things that didn't happen or people that never existed is just wrong.
Maybe make a movie based on John Coulter just after the Lewis & Clark expedition?

At one time the Chickasaw we're planning to make a movie based on the Chickasaw/French wars of 1736.....
The French created a Northern Force that gathered at Fort De Chartes and Northern Indian allies ......that battle took place in March in Northern Mississippi and was a disaster for the French.
In May the Southern Force from Mobile/Fort Tombecbe and Southern Indian allies attacked the Village of Ackia........again......bad news for the French.
Despite the French having the number advantage........the Chickasaw prevailed.
Adair describes the Chickasaw being ..... Gleeful when grenades came over the wall because they knew they were fighting men of flesh & blood and not enemy wizards!...........don't think that would have been my first thought at seeing a grenade!

I enjoyed all these comments, but not one of them would have any impact on the younger folks today. They simply don't care and have no interest history. If you want to pique their interest in muzzleloaders it would have to be some type of super hero, zombie apocalypse thing with lots of explosions and computer generated imaging.
I don't believe there is anything that can be done for city boys, but country boys that's a different story. Lots of farm chores gets kids immersed in the outdoors. Then you need Cub Scouts AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY INTENDED, and then Boy Scouts AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY INTENDED (see 1910 Boy Scout Manual and use that verbatim). No girls, no Gays, just as it was intended. Regarding the Scout Masters and Assistant Scout Masters a thorough background check and a VERY CLEAR understanding that they will be Taken To The Train Station if they transgress in the slightest. It's too late for today's youth. But tomorrow's boys can grow up to be men if led properly. If not they will become pussies just like today's boys. Yea I'm pretty passionate and opinionated about this. Sorry for the huge thread drift.

Regarding which story? So many to choose from. I'll go with James O. Pattie because the land and peoples he saw up until California were still very raw, and the animals in staggering numbers.

Wow, lots of great suggestions! I've never heard of some of these people, or their stories.

I think movies need to show the possibility of financially success, which means they would need to appeal to a broad audience. The movie would need to tell a story, with a clear beginning that grabs the viewer's attention, character development, some sort of conflict to be resolved, and then a satisfactory conclusion. I believe, sincerely, that a movie could be made about Jedediah Smith or John Colter which would satisfy all of that.

However, one movie that really needs to be made, in my opinion, would be the story of Ned Christie, the Cherokee folk hero or outlaw, depending on whom you believe. Larry McMurtry (of all people...) wrote it up in the form of a novel, Zeke and Ned, which in my opinion is the author's finest work. The story runs through the 1880's up to 1892, so it's not in the "muzzleloader" period, but black powder was the only available propellant for firearms. McMurtry's version of the story is just quirky enough that I think the Coen brothers might be the best producers for it.

Larry McMurty wrote another book entitled Boone's Lick. I consider this his second-best work, after Zeke and Ned. The principal female character in this story reminds me a lot of my wife... Very strong willed and purposeful, not always right but seldom in doubt. It involves a family crossing the plains from Missouri in 1868, for the sole purpose of the lady finding her no-account husband (an Army scout) so she could divorce him. There were rumors a few years ago about Boone's Lick going into production, with Tom Hanks and Julianne Moore in the leading roles, but it all fizzled out for some reason. That would have made a great movie.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I don't believe there is anything that can be done for city boys, but country boys that's a different story. Lots of farm chores gets kids immersed in the outdoors. Then you need Cub Scouts AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY INTENDED, and then Boy Scouts AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY INTENDED (see 1910 Boy Scout Manual and use that verbatim). No girls, no Gays, just as it was intended. Regarding the Scout Masters and Assistant Scout Masters a thorough background check and a VERY CLEAR understanding that they will be Taken To The Train Station if they transgress in the slightest. It's too late for today's youth. But tomorrow's boys can grow up to be men if led properly. If not they will become pussies just like today's boys. Yea I'm pretty passionate and opinionated about this. Sorry for the huge thread drift.

Regarding which story? So many to choose from. I'll go with James O. Pattie because the land and peoples he saw up until California were still very raw, and the animals in staggering numbers.
Thanks for the info. I had never heard of James. O. Pattie.

I think an historically accurate movie/miniseries about Kit Carson‘s life would be awesome he lived more adventure than 100 men He had a Big set. Course all of those guys did. So many of those mountain man lives would make a great movie just pick one. So many times movies are made about the same people over and over again. Hugh glass, Billy the kid, Wyatt Earp, Jesse James, Wild Bill Hickok. Buffalo bill. There are so many more interesting characters in the west that we never hear about.

I have watched and enjoyed the mini series "John Adams" several times over the years. It would be nice if other mini series were made about other individual famous forefathers like Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton, etc. Men who put their very lives on the line to achieve our countries independence.

Life of George Druillard, scout, interpreter, hunter for Lewis and Clark. Closer to facts remake of John Johnston - Liver Eatin Johnson and a proper historical based story of Hugh Glass. The Battle of San Jacinto. The early trapper days of Kit Carson. Jedediah Strong Smith's story. Joe Meek the merry mountain man. History of Bent's Fort. So many possibilities to choose from but get a director who is a historian and muzzle loading shooter and hunter-trapper-soldier whose reply to suggestions of authenticity is not "this is a movie, not a documentary."
I would say Joe Meek for sure. John Colter is also an interesting character to me.

Reading nearly 20 or so biographical accounts over the last month and it is completely fascinating how many of the names listed in this thread are all connected in one way or another

Back