• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which story is most movie worthy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lexington and Concord, The Shot Heard Around The World, with a long detailed scene of the British retreat to Boston and them being sniped along the way.

Alternately Jack Hinson's revenge.

It might be interesting to see a movie made of the life of "Lewis Wetzel". I'm not sure how it would go over in the public eye because Lewis was a nut case and very violent, they don't call him the dark hero of the Ohio for nothing.

When violent Nut cases were acceptable in a not so polite society who had need of such Men.

Maybe the Story of Beckworth, as he told it. A black western hero. As historically accurate (sic) as Joe Meeks biography, rivers west. And since he is black could appeal to the woke crowd.
De Sabal the founder of Chicago too would be a good and a politically correct story that I would pay to see.

Perhaps they could dovetail a few LGBT (should I rephrase that ?) characters into the story line as well LOL

I stayed for a week at the same house as Jim Mitchener who wrote "Centennial " amongst many great books . I asked why he had outfitted his hero with a 32 caliber Hawken when it should have been a .52 " ( 32 gauge is .526 " ) he replied that he paid good money to researchers to give him correct advise , obviously the researcher did not know the difference between gauge and caliber , as many do not today

Thanks for all the great reading suggestions!

The book I read about Hugh Glass said nothing about him chasing after the companions who deserted him. The simple facts were that they were in danger from the weather and indians and Hugh appeared to have one foot already in the grave.

Agreed - the story of Adobe Walls and Billy Dixon would be a good one.

Another that would almost require a mini series would be Sam Colt, the Texas Rangers and Sam Walker. Plenty of action and suspense, but beautiful leading ladies...? Something would have to be manufactured in that department.

When violent Nut cases were acceptable in a not so polite society who had need of such Men.
Would you call our current society "polite?"
I'd be willing to bet folks were a lot more polite, helpful to others, less self centered and self agrandising, in Wetzel's time than they are now.
There were consequences for being rude or impolite, usually harsh and painful consequences.
Now, if you call someone out for being rude or for some other poor behavior,,,, you're the bad guy.

If only we could make a movie based off these characters and events from our history to be impactful enough to get people interested in muzzloading, and to get people to realize that real men are polite and courteous, that people of value consider the thoughts, words, and ideas of others before just dismissing them out of hand entirely, that there is no shame in admitting one us wrong and that real men and women do just that.

We're these not the values put forth in the "westerns," both the t.v. and movies, of the 1950's and early 1960's and radio shows before that?
Well, why not an earlier version of that?

And all on unicorns too😊
Would you call our current society "polite?"
I'd be willing to bet folks were a lot more polite, helpful to others, less self centered and self agrandising, in Wetzel's time than they are now.
There were consequences for being rude or impolite, usually harsh and painful consequences.
Now, if you call someone out for being rude or for some other poor behavior,,,, you're the bad guy.

If only we could make a movie based off these characters and events from our history to be impactful enough to get people interested in muzzloading, and to get people to realize that real men are polite and courteous, that people of value consider the thoughts, words, and ideas of others before just dismissing them out of hand entirely, that there is no shame in admitting one us wrong and that real men and women do just that.

We're these not the values put forth in the "westerns," both the t.v. and movies, of the 1950's and early 1960's and radio shows before that?
Well, why not an earlier version of that?

"Would you call our current society "polite?"" Not at all.

"....and to get people to realize that real men are polite and courteous, that people of value consider the thoughts, words, and ideas of others before just dismissing them out of hand entirely, that there is no shame in admitting one us wrong and that real men and women do just that."

100% in agreement, I'm a 69 year old fella who was brought up in an era where Men wore Hats, opened Doors for Ladies and never swore or beat them.
I havent changed much at all, retired now in rural Australia with my last 4 Horses, still wear Hats and treat all Women with respect; theres many of them appreciate it nowadays too. My current girlfriend is half my age at 38 and she adores my old world ways.

an era where Men wore Hats, opened Doors for Ladies and never swore or beat them
Not to get much further off track. But, that is just not true. Maybe in your family, maybe amongst your family's close friends, it was true. But people and families keep secrets, we never truly and really know someone we don't live with.
My parents are a little older than you, I was also very close to my grandparents. As my grandma aged and talked about the past, little bits slip out that were never mentioned before. How someone dad remembers playing with had a father that beat his mother,,,, but it was always kept hidden. Several stories like this. How someone else my dad or aunt remember was always kept away from the kids or at least never allowed to be alone with them.

We all have this idealistic view of some aspects of out past history. But, it was not idyllic or perfect. We're people more polite and respectful of eachother in general? Yes. More courteous? I believe so. Bit, we have always had out bad apples,,, and some of what we now see as bad behavior wasn't viewed as such then.

(As a side note, I also know some instances wherein the wife was doing the beating, both back then and recently)

I was looking for books about life in the first quarter of the 19th century and went down this rabbit hole!!! Lots of very good ideas! Might as well put my 2 cents in, I really like the mentioned "Rogers Rangers and their Counterparts during the F&IW" idea. Maybe a remake of the old Northwest Passage movie?

RM

Joseph Reddford Walker ,He was a real mountain man and more
, read "Westering Man" " The life of Joseph Walker
by Bil Gilbert
ISBN 0-8016-1934-9
( Bil is correct)
Amazon have the book

You want to get young folks interested in blackpowder and the old mountain man ways, its got to be over the top type stuff. Beside guns my other hobby is miniature painting. Recently, a figure designer came out with a line of files to create a set of figures. The main hero is a mountain man, a dwarf (miner) and a few indians. The bad guys, I guess you could call them that, are mutant animals. Deer, moose, buffalo, beaver, and etc... The young folks today would good crazy for movie like this.

trappers pic.jpegSee attached picture.

Hugh Glass.

Oh wait...

Revenant was a huge movie when it came out a few years ago. A-List Leonardo and the scene where he gets bit by the bear, his academy award win for it, it was quite a big deal.

I don’t know if it drew any new members to the hobby, but if any movie would have it would be that one. The fact is, Muzzleloading is niche. But, it does seem like during the past two years of insanity there is some fairly robust interest in the hobby on places like Reddit as well as here. And black powder guns seem to have been popular sellers (along with everything else “gun”) in these times.

From almost being killed by Hugh Glass to becoming one of the most famous of mountain men. "The life and times of Jim Bridger"

Hugh Glass.

Oh wait...

Revenant was a huge movie when it came out a few years ago. A-List Leonardo and the scene where he gets bit by the bear, his academy award win for it, it was quite a big deal.

I don’t know if it drew any new members to the hobby, but if any movie would have it would be that one. The fact is, Muzzleloading is niche. But, it does seem like during the past two years of insanity there is some fairly robust interest in the hobby on places like Reddit as well as here. And black powder guns seem to have been popular sellers (along with everything else “gun”) in these times.

I watched it (again) last night and IMO its a good movie, but (and theres always a "but") did you notice how the Frizzen on his Rifle was open when he retrieved it after the first Bear mauling, there would have been no powder in the Pan, then he's holding the Barrel on the Bear with the Frizzen now closed and Fires. Little things.

BTW is there a thread on the Forum ref Movies involving the Muzzleloading era ?

The Battle on Snowshoes, and more of Roger's exploits. If Roger's had been brought into the Revolutionary cause, it is likely we would immortalize him above Boone and many others. He may have been a Torie in the end but he was by-God legendary. Of course when the Father of the Nation personally dislikes you in a very personal way, you're gonna get a bad rap.

Last edited:
The Battle on Snowshoes, and more of Roger's exploits. If Roger's had been brought into the Revolutionary cause, it is likely we would immortalize him above Boone and many others. He may have been a Torie in the end but he was by-God legendary. Of course when the Father of the Nation personally dislikes you in a very personal way, your gonna get a bad rap.

Agreed, I think Rogers would have gone over to the Patriots side if Washington had extended some trust in him, and sensibly put a Second in Command like Israel Putnam or whoever to keep a keen eyes on Rogers.

There's little doubt that Rogers had been screwed over by the Crown and Brit hierarchy, so understandably he nursed a grudge against them. But by that time he'd also succumbed to alcoholism and that wouldnt have improved his abilities.

Personally I believe that the Robert Rogers and the Rangers story would make a great HBO mini series.

BTW can anyone help me with getting the final DVD series of TURN ?
It isnt available anyway I look on the interent.

I refuse to believe there is an answer equal to any of the books written by Jim Corbett. Leopard of Rudrapryag as a film would be a nail biter.

The BBC did a low budget one of this but it was pretty crappy, and diverged much from Corbett's views and actions.

Maybe the Story of Beckworth, as he told it. A black western hero. As historically accurate (sic) as Joe Meeks biography, rivers west. And since he is black could appeal to the woke crowd.
De Sabal the founder of Chicago too would be a good and a politically correct story that I would pay to see.

Featuring "Michelle" Obama as a Bear Skinner maybe......

Back