• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which side to carry possible bag and powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Someone mentioned the horn sitting on the bag flap. Can’t imagine a worse situation! The horn even prevents you from getting in the shot bag."

Nope, it doesn't happen.

I have had an epiphany!

The perfect way to carry it is with the strap over your neck and the bag riding in the center of your chest! This way you can access it with either hand! This may necessitate an elastic band circling the chest to keep it from flopping but its perfect!

The horn we will also carry around our neck but the other way with it riding in the center of our back for perfect safety from sparks from our gun or anyone firing beside us, this will necessitate perfecting a reach around but I am sure it will work.

And one of the other posters is correct, we can not call it a possible bag. its just not right, would you call one of your kids a possible boy or a possible girl, try calling your spouse a possible wife......

I will get out the band aids, enough for now... I need coffee.

I have always carried my horn on the left side and the pouch on the right. Reason being I am right-handed and poring the powder from the horn into a powder measure, held in my right hand, is easy enough. With my right hand I can pore the charge down the barrel without spilling any powder. Also, being right-handed my right side has the pouch. I can retrieve the ball and patch material, bullet starter, and patch knife all with my dominant right hand. For me, it also seemed to keep things in order. The horn strap would be on top, and the pouch strap under it. They would crisscross my chest.

To each his/her own but that's my way.

Your methods of carry , shot pouch and horn , high up are described in many old books from 18th century. One record describes a Five Indian attack on a hunting party in Ky.. The white guys were 4 in number , with rifles , a dad , and his 3 sons. The dad and his sons all wore their shot pouches high on the left sides , under the arm , as it was common for Indians to maneuver around to get arrow shots , at a person's heart. The Indians were armed with bows , arrows , knives and axes. In this fight , an Indian got an arrow hit on the dad, through the shot pouch. Presumably , there was some things in the shot pouch that slowed the arrow sufficiently, , that it didn't go far enough into the old man's rib cage to reach a vital organ. The old man told his sons only two were to do the shooting ,with one gun kept loaded at all times. This tactic , kept the red men at bay until the chief was shot , and the intruders ran away. The dad in this story , had the arrow head in his body,until he died many years later. ........oldwood

How could it not?
Two things. One, it doesn't have to ride so low on the flap that it holds the flap against the part of the bag holding most of the contents. Both of mine are worn high in my dominant side (my right) with the horn riding on the upper part of the flap. The flap really won't open accidentally or randomly between the position of the horn and my arm, but, it will open when deliberately lifted and the horn rolls upward slightly.....
Which brings us to the second one, which,,,, I'm sorry,,,, seems painfully obvious,,,, they can still move independently of eachother. Need something in the shot pouch? Slide it forward of the horn. Need powder move it forward for access. Mine are carried fairly high, while shooting at the range they are about 3 o'clock on my body, but the horn still get swung forward for use, then put back. When moving through the woods I push them both back around 4 o'clock or so,,, and swing them forward for use. This keeps them from being caught up in "stuff" and from dangling forward if I bend forward.

Hope this helps

First of all, what is a "possibles bag?" Don't call it that. You seem to be serious about muzzleloading, so call it as it is - shooting bag or hunting pouch. Your bag and horn should be on the same side and not dangling too low. The horn should lay on the flap of the bag. Decide whether you want to work with the right hand or left hand during the loading process. That's the side you put your bag on. Another consideration will be the buckle. It goes on the back of the strap.

I carry both a possible bag and a shooting bag. They ARE most definitely two different things.
Possible bag...the bag with the tools.
Shooting bag....the bag with the ball, patches, wads, cards, shot etc to shoot with.

If I'm hunting, I also carry a Game bag if I don't have a vest on that has a game pocket.

I agree with you about how short the straps should be, but for those with shoulder or back issues, that length may be longer than other's desire. Then, there is the fact that properly, there should be no buckles. ...yes, most of my bags have buckles because I use them with winter as well as summer clothing. However, if you look at originals in museums, there were very few buckles.

Two things. One, it doesn't have to ride so low on the flap that it holds the flap against the part of the bag holding most of the contents. Both of mine are worn high in my dominant side (my right) with the horn riding on the upper part of the flap. The flap really won't open accidentally or randomly between the position of the horn and my arm, but, it will open when deliberately lifted and the horn rolls upward slightly.....
Which brings us to the second one, which,,,, I'm sorry,,,, seems painfully obvious,,,, they can still move independently of eachother. Need something in the shot pouch? Slide it forward of the horn. Need powder move it forward for access. Mine are carried fairly high, while shooting at the range they are about 3 o'clock on my body, but the horn still get swung forward for use, then put back. When moving through the woods I push them both back around 4 o'clock or so,,, and swing them forward for use. This keeps them from being caught up in "stuff" and from dangling forward if I bend forward.

Hope this helps

So it does get in the way…you just move the pouch to get it out of the way! Thanks for clearing that up…

Nobody argues about how to pronounce Pecan. If you say Pea-can…you are just wrong. Ain’t no arguing to be done!

There you go getting me all distracted thinking about pie, pecan pie that is. Carried on the side of your choice. I say PeaCan, those that say PeCon probably drink with their pinkie stuck out...... : )

So it does get in the way…you just move the pouch to get it out of the way! Thanks for clearing that up…
Well, yes and no. Even if I don't move the bag or horn, I can lift the flap amd access the bag,,, never really felt the horn was in the way.
I actually find a button holding the flap closed to be more of a hassle than the horn. 😆

I have read this and I have read that and I have read all the 'Pro's and Con's to this and that. I have heard that you will blow yourself up if you do that not this.
I tried them all and settled with what works best for me.

Some shoot of the bench and wear the bag/horn for looks, some of us have no bench to shoot from, and some of us walk long distances when we shoot. Some trek through brush and trees, some trek across the planes.

Bottom line is; what works best for one may not work at all for you, and what works best for you may not work for me. Also everyone's gear is different (bag size, shape, horn size, shape, piming horn or no primer, what you carry - dry patches, pre-lubed, pre-cut or cut at the barrel, size & weight of gun, and what Else do you carry...the list of options go on)

Simply put; there is my way, there is his way, and in the end there will be your way.
Take what everyone says, look at photos/videos of how 'they' do it, then try each one and find what makes You most comfortable: THAT will be 'Your Way'.

But I will say I am right handed with a right hand lock, I carry my horn attached to the bag and I carry the bag on my right, sometimes an extra belt pouch on my left. My patch change; sometimes pre-lubed, sometimes not, sometimes pre-cut, sometimes not, and I prime from a small primer carried in my bag. I like to swab between shots and sometimes i .....dare I say...blow down the barrel. Oh, and I pound my ball in with a straight starter. Maybe I will blow my head off one day, so I suggest you find 'Your way' as my way is not 'The Way'....but it works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back