• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Replica Powder Best?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MercerLake said:
:v You didn't say what type of ML that you are using. Sidelocks will generally "work" with Pyro P if you can't get Bp. If all else fails buy a container of Pyro and shoot it up or dump it and save the container. I'll betcha nobody at the airport could tell if it was filled with the real thing. Seriously, you have a valid concern about availability of Bp at your possible destination if you are flying to get there. Check ahead with the outfitter if you are using one, they can usually get Bp somehow if they want your business. :v

That's a recipe for some serious Jail Time. :shake:

Even though I prefer Goex, like others, it's hard to come by unless you buy in bulk. I save the good stuff for my flinters. After New Years, Wal-Mart was selling Pyrodex RS for $9.00 per pound. Works great in my .54 GPR and my .54 T/C Hawkens. I know Wal-Mart quit carrying firearms in California and not by choice. They were busted by ATF for releasing firearms before the required waiting period.

runnball said:
MercerLake said:
:v You didn't say what type of ML that you are using. Sidelocks will generally "work" with Pyro P if you can't get Bp. If all else fails buy a container of Pyro and shoot it up or dump it and save the container. I'll betcha nobody at the airport could tell if it was filled with the real thing. Seriously, you have a valid concern about availability of Bp at your possible destination if you are flying to get there. Check ahead with the outfitter if you are using one, they can usually get Bp somehow if they want your business. :v

That's a recipe for some serious Jail Time. :shake:

Amen!! Ten four!! Roger!! Yagotit!! Lissenup!! Watchyerbackside!! Seeyalateralligator!!

They're not going by what the stuff looks like. That's what all those chemical sniffers are all about. I had a nice long (and unfriendly) interview because without washing it first, I packed a hunting jacket in a suitcase after using it to shoot a ML. Set off all sorts of alarms, and the people responding were not one little bit amused.

And BTW- You'll get the same treatment flying with Pyro.

Bass Pro in Mesa AZ is the only source of Goex black powder in our valley and its a ridiculous $20 bucks a pound.

Hey BrownBear,
Did you have to wash your shorts after all that? :rotf: :rotf: You're right, though. I wouldn't fly with Pyrodex or even percussion caps nowdays. Best to call ahead and make sure supplies are available at your destination.

I you can get it? The cleanest burning powder is Black Mag 3, if you try it you will find out that your cleaning patch will come out white to light gray. It is that clean. Cabelas was selling it, but I think they quit getting it in.

cowpoke1955 said:
After New Years, Wal-Mart was selling Pyrodex RS for $9.00 per pound.
cowpoke,
Hope you bought it out,and ask them to
order more at that price. I don't use it,but around here it goes for between $17.50 to
$21 per pound.
My Goex I get for $12/$14.
snake-eyes :hmm:

You know, all this makes me wonder if Hodgdon (and maybe some of the other companies) is doing research to come up with a sub that works better in flinters. They've got a pretty darned good share of the market, and I'm sure they hear the stories. Seems like an opportunity knocking at their door, if they're listening.

I'm a little reluctant to go with a flinter just because access to BP is so difficult here. I.e., darned near impossible legal-wise. Yet almost anywhere you go in the country you find Pyro or some other sub sitting on the shelves of sporting goods stores that don't sell a single other muzzleloader supply.

Even if I didn't go with a flinter, better ignition would be welcome in my cappers, especially the ones with drum bolsters.

:bow: :v :redface: I offer my humble apologies for even seeming to suggest that one should attempt to break the law! I didn't make it clear that this was a misguided attempt at humor.
Seriously, the original problem of what to do if a person is flying to a hunt and needs to obtain a supply of powder, could be solved by;
1. Arrange with the outfitter if using one for a supply prior to the hunt.
2. Check for a supplier in the area of interest.
3. Or possibly arrange with other members of the forum for a source of preferred powder at or near the destination. :v

I kinda figured it was humor, cuzz my humor kinda wallows along the same furrow. but I wasn't sure everyone who read it would "get it." My response was more for their behalf than yours.

We just don't need even one muzzleloader to get his name all over the national news for packing a can of black or pyro onto an airplane. Can you imagine the news footage of the bomb squad handling that "dangerous explosive."

Hey Big Bad Ben,

Not sure where you might be in Vermont, but when I lived there I had a hard time finding real black powder too. Then I found out that all the slate quarries use it for blasting because it produces bigger pieces of slate than the modern stuff, and low and behold, I could buy it just 6 miles away from home. In my case, that was Bixby Oil in Poultney who carried it. It's green building with few windows and a gas pump out front.

So...if you're anywhere near Poultney, that's where to go. If you're not, and there are slate quarries around, ask them where they get theirs and go see their supplier.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

Triple seven is pretty easy to find now days almost any where. It works very well for me in TC rifles. Use hot shot nipples and CCI #11 mag caps.

Latest posts

Back