• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Which Replica Powder Best?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbadben

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok, so I know this will be controversial. But I'm wondering if anyone can offer advice about the best replica powder to try?

I shoot Goex in both of my MLs. But I know it can be hard to come by. I have to mail order it here in VT (and suck up the hazmat fee). And if I fly out west to hunt I doubt I'll be able to easily mail it ahead of time or take it in my checked luggage. So I could very easily find myself in a situation where it's replica or nothing. I'm thinking I should work with some so I'll be prepared for that day.

Is there a particular one that's best for a percussion gun?

Thanks,

Ben

I've tried them all in my GPR 54, and Pyrodex P (80 grains) has worked out best for me. Count on an ignition delay after half a dozen shots if you don't take the time to pick the nipple before you reach that count. Starting with a clean bore and nipple on hunts, you can count on half a dozen shots before any hesitation occurs. You've already missed or killed big game long before that happens, but if you're smacking bunny heads on a small game hunt (35 grains, just like 3f), bring your nipple pick.

Check Track's site--if you order enough, they pay the Haz-Mat fee. If you don't want the whole shipment, maybe you can split it with friends. Then you can have the real thing delivered to your door.

Replica powder and a real muzzleloader just strikes a nerve with me. I assume you know people you are flying west to hunt with? If you can afford to fly out west on a hunting trip, why not make arrangements for using real BP? It is not hard to get. flinch

It's a really good idea to get acquainted with subs just in case you do make a big trip. I can guarandamtee you won't be finding anything but subs outside of the big cities in Alaska, and we'll read you in the national news if you try to fly with powder.

I've tried several of them over the years and have had the best success with Pyrodex. It doesn't age as fast as some of the others, but it does age and soak up moisture, so only buy it as you shoot it up. It didn't work as well as real black, with slower ignition and a hard to clean crud ring, but it did work well enough for hunting purposes.

I've only used Pyrodex and I agree that the "P" seems to have a little quicker ignition than the "RS".
Once I spent the extra money to buy the "Select", but for me it was worse than the RS both in ignition speed and in shot uniformity.
On the other hand, if it is the only thing available I guess I would buy it again.

:v You didn't say what type of ML that you are using. Sidelocks will generally "work" with Pyro P if you can't get Bp. If all else fails buy a container of Pyro and shoot it up or dump it and save the container. I'll betcha nobody at the airport could tell if it was filled with the real thing. Seriously, you have a valid concern about availability of Bp at your possible destination if you are flying to get there. Check ahead with the outfitter if you are using one, they can usually get Bp somehow if they want your business. :v

Thanks for the replies.

I should point out that I would probably try to arrange to have Goex there waiting for me. But I want to be prepared for when things go wrong.

It wouldn't be the first time I was in a Walmart the night before a hunt out west cursing because all my stuff seemed to have wound up in Miami. :cursing: Been there, done that.

Most Walmarts would probably have Pyrodex, but not Goex. So I wanna get a sense of how it shoots.

Ben

Here's some disturbing news about Wal-Mart, the sporting goods manager of the local Wal-Mart here in Miss. said there is a long-range corporate policy to cease carrying ANYTHING for firearms...it ain't PC...My local quit selling any longguns last year and the firearms isle has been steadily dwindling down to a few things like slings, BC cleaning stuff, and a few boxes of shotgun range loads...no BP stuff left at all, and I counted 16 boxes, including .22, of long gun ammo in the counter display....we may have one the Supreme Court decision, but the 'gun-grabbers' are using other means.

We should probably be complaining to Walmart about that. After all, they follow the almighty dollar and nothing else.

The moonbats only win if we roll over and play dead.

Ben

Goex ( home grown, good price, and great stuff too). Swiss (if you can afford it), Kik (other than non-USA, best of both worlds)

Pyrodex RS or Select (select is VERY coruse!) Or pyrodex P = 3F.

Install a Spitfire Nipple and use CCI #11Magnum caps and you are good to go! Just make sure you sight in with the powder you will actually be hunting with.

Bought myself a CVA .54 mountain rifle Percussion so i could keep shooting the easy way. Blackpowder is hard to get in my parts unless i want a 5 hour round trip drive.

So, why are you and your friends not picketing the store, and asking people to boycott the place? These local managers are only going to listen when you hit them in the pocketbook. You live in a very active gun owner, and hunting state. I have to believe that a picket and boycott would be much more effective in changing the store policy where you live than up here in the Prairie State.

But you have to tell people someone is peeing down their backs, sometimes, and then tell them what they can do about it.

Just to inspire you to act, we had our usual suspects picketing over the interstate on Saturday morngins, protesting the War in Afghanistan and Iraq. They even had old signs they used back when they picketed the Vietnam war.

We decided to counterdemonstrate. We made our own signs asking people to support our troops, and honk twice if they did so. The antis had a sign that asked people to honk once if they opposed the war. It became apparent the very first day that the public appreciated our counter demonstration, by the sounds of all the horns honking twice.

The next weekend, only about half the antis showed up. The week after that, the group was cut in half again. Our group grew in numbers. After 6 weeks, the antis quit coming out at all, and their protest March was OVER.

We also counter picketed the Million Moms March back in 1997, and we were well received on that. The Antis- the usual suspects who turn out for all left-wing protests in town-- scowled at us, and then went home. The next rally they called for on the campus of our local University found no one showing up other than a couple of the organizers. Even the TV crew packed up and left when there was not enough of a crowd to get a good background shot. When the TV crew left, the organizers left. End of Million Moms March protests locally.

Gun owners need to speak out, and ACT. You will be amazed at how many people will thank you. If you don't take action, and don't speak out, your culture will be found only in the history books. Walmart has not existed forever. The world will go on without a Wally world. The people who get in control of these giant retail store make big mistakes all the time. That is why K-mart has closed most of its stores. Make your local manager KNOW he is making a big mistake. And make the cost to him in sales high. That is when Corporate headquarters start sending people down to find out what he is doing, and why sales figures are off so much. The squeaky wheel does get the grease. Really.

I use both Goex 3f and Pyrodex P
I don't see big difference in accuracy and the fouling is about the same.As a matter of fact in my 5o cal renegade I have to clean between shots more with Goex.Quicker ignition with the real stuff, but my pick for subs would be Pyrodex P.If your going to use it in a flintlock, you need Pyro flint (Just kiddin) :grin:

Although I love the Real Stuff "GOEX" but like some it has become hard to acquire at times but in the 26 years of me shooting BP revolvers & rifles I've had the best luck with Pyrodex P, quick reliable ignition & shot to shot variances are very close.

I've been trying 777 in my CVA Bobcat & although it shoots well & I'm getting good groups with PRB it is a bit more finicky to compression & if you're not careful could have a slow ignition to a hang fire with the stuff, I'm going back to what works the best for me.

In the past I have had very good luck in my GPR percussion rifle using Pyrodex Select, a hot nipple and CCI magnum caps. I wouldn't attempt to use it in a flintlock.

I use Pyrodex RS and a RWS Musket cap. No issues at all in my Renegades or T/C Hawken. And I dont find it very hard to clean up witha little Formula 409 and a oiling coat ot WD-40. Easy to get and realatively cheap; NO hazmat fee, etc.

I'll also bet that te deer wont know the differance what ever you settle on :wink:

pyrodex rs and cci #11 magnum, works for my gpr from the begining. never hunt with a dirty rifle and you should be ok.

Back