• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Which powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stykbow

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. New member here with a simple question for you. I’ve been shooting ML’s of various types for years, but have never tried real black powder. Now I’m thinking I might give it a go, so with a 50 cal. rifle should I be thinking 3f for powder?

Hello everyone. New member here with a simple question for you. I’ve been shooting ML’s of various types for years, but have never tried real black powder. Now I’m thinking I might give it a go, so with a 50 cal. rifle should I be thinking 3f for powder?
Yes...3F is the most widely used grade of powder in 50 caliber guns. You will love shooting it.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve always shot Pyrodex since I could lay my hands on it locally. I’ve read that black powder burns cleaner, or maybe just cleans up easier, than substitutes. Has that been your experience?

If I remember correctly I’ve got a 1:60 twist so round ball shooting is my goal. This is a new rifle that I have coming my way. When I started shooting ML’s 30 years ago I was shooting conical in a CVA Hawken. Moved on to in lines for a long time, but I got bored with feeling like a sniper killing deer at a couple hundred yards using a scope. I like a challenge so I’ve bought a new traditional ML hoping to make it fun again.

The old school of thought was 2fg in guns 50 and above, 3fg in guns below .50 cal. These days that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, as most guys use 3fg in just about everything.

I still use 2fg in my .54 calibers and my smoothbore, and 3fg in my . 32. It does seem to have faster ignition plus 3fg can be used in the pan as well.

The old school of thought was 2fg in guns 50 and above, 3fg in guns below .50 cal.

Yep, that's what I was told, and 25 years ago or so, I took a minor survey of 4 different companies offering a half-stocked rifle..., and they all differed as to what was the cutoff caliber for 3Fg. .45, .50, .54, and even .58. So I started just using 3Fg in all my stuff except my 20 gauge and larger shotguns.

LD

I have 45 and 50 caliber rifles and pistols. 3f in all.
There are several brands of black powder out there.
I think that Swiss is probably the best imo. Shuetzen, Old Ensyford, and Goex are also good.

I’ll most likely go with Goex OE. Seems to be moderately priced and more available than Swiss. From what I’ve read the performance is roughly the same between the two. Being new to the real thing I doubt I’d know the difference anyway.

I've only ever used Goex. It works, and that's good enough for me. Plus that's about all one finds around here anyway.
I’d be perfectly happy with regular Goex; I think. Again, having never tried any of it I doubt I’d know the difference.

Here’s another question for you guys. Assuming a reasonable load is used, how many shots you reckon a man can get out of 1lbs. of black powder?

I like GO but happy with a lot. I got some elephant that I mix in 1-3 with go and it shoots well.
consistancy is the key. Your load of Swiss will be a little different then GO, but a load of two a little different then three.
pyrodex is a little hotter thenGO so you may have to load five grains by volume heavier to get the same preformance.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve always shot Pyrodex since I could lay my hands on it locally. I’ve read that black powder burns cleaner, or maybe just cleans up easier, than substitutes. Has that been your experience?

Yup. You have to remember that until about forty years ago, black powder had been THE main propellant since sometime around the 1200s....if it didn't work, well, things would have all been very different.

7000 grains per pound divided by 70 grains per shot equals 100 shots. 50 grains per shot equals 140 shots.

There are two main manufactures of black powder who sell in the US. Goex is domestic and for our purpose, they make two types "red can" regular and Old Eynsford. Then there's Schutzen and they have a regular grade and Swiss. Old E and Swiss are geared mainly to competition shooters. I shoot both of those. When you're looking for accuracy, you'll have to test what works best and ignore price.

Percussion caps are usually 100 per tin. Flints can get you 3 to 30 shots each depending on the flint and how you maintain it.

Latest posts

Back