• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

which powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I use Goex, and I like it, however many believe that Swiss is the better of the two powders. However I usually order in a store, So I have a question. Is Swiss really better? I am looking for a place to find where I can order individual plastic Goex cans.

I've only used Goex, for as long as I've been shooting black powder. It's what the stores around here sell and it works.

I wont say better cause I have a gun that groups better with Goex vs Swiss. Swiss in my experience has more power per volume and requires a slight adjustment in load developement. I shoot Goex, Swiss and Olde Eynsford. All three work fine as long as I work up an appropriate load for each gun. I order powder from Deer Creek Products in Indiana and pick it up cause it is only an hour drive but they ship powder and give discount depending on amount purchased.

I used to buy Goex. After trying Swiss and discovering that it shoots both harder and flatter I only buy Swiss now. In my .50 and .54 RB rifles, zeroed at 60 yards, I find I still hold dead on at 100. The same charge of Goex will hit 6" lower at 100.

I use Goex, and I like it, however many believe that Swiss is the better of the two powders. However I usually order in a store, So I have a question. Is Swiss really better? I am looking for a place to find where I can order individual plastic Goex cans.

For most of us, Swiss is not appreciably better than GOEX. Since you are ordering in a store, the cost difference would keep me ordering GOEX.

For your end use the best comment is- it depends. I'm a competition shooter so I don't mind a couple extra bucks per can for better accuracy and yes, in my experience, Swiss and Old E are better than Goex. I determined this through experimentation with my guns and loads.

i have used all these powders a ton Goex, Schuetzen, Old Eynsford and Swiss. i prefer Swiss Old Eynsford as they seem to burn cleaner, accuracy was better and get more velocity especially Swiss. last time i bought powder though there was no Swiss so i got 37 pounds of Old Eynsford so i will be shooting that for a bit. when i lived in Florida with high humidity it seemed that Goex and Schuetzen fouled much worse than Swiss. also one thing too i switched to Null B to prime which kept my pan much drier, i previously used Goex 4F and my pan would have tons of moisture just after 2 or 3 shots. but thats just my experience yours may differ completely

Better is a relative term. Swiss may be more energetic and uniform, but GOEX is less expensive, more widely available and perfectly usable. As always it comes down to what your gun likes best and your personal requirements.

You may find your favorite shoots way better with Swiss, or it may not. You may also be able to stretch a pound of Swiss that little bit farther, and the extra energy may be helpful depending on your intended use.

I have used GOEX, Schuetzen and Swiss over the years and find for my purposes there is not a lot of difference. Right now, on hand, Schuetzen outnumbers the others I have in the locker.

FWIW, I have killed deer with all three and the deer did not seem to notice the difference.:)

I use Goex 1F in my shotguns. Goex 3F in all my other MLs and Goex 4F for flinter primer. None of my MLs have had any other BP Brand down the barrel . . . just how it worked out.

Swiss is "more energetic" due to the difference in measuring F sizes, put Goex 3f up against Swiss 2 and the velocity difference gets to be a bit closer. Olde Eynsford is quite similar to Swiss, only US manufactured by Goex, and a few dollars a pound less expensive.
Best is a relative term and really only qualifies to your rifles, etc. Best bet is to try a can or two of all the brands you have available and let the target and the rifle tell the rest of the story.

I'm too cheap to buy Swiss but Goex's OE is only slightly more costly than regular Goex. OE is also quite close to Swiss in power. If I wanted more power (than regular Goex) for c&b or small pistol I'd choose OE and not look back.

The answer as per the above is determined by your requirements. If for hunting deer at short range, a powder that gives 1-2 MOA tighter groupings probably won't make much of a difference to you. If you're counting X's, it will. If you have the chance, why don't you experiment with a bunch of them and see what the difference is in performance. Once you know that, you can make a better informed decision, and taking in to account your own personal abilities as well.

And remember that just because one powder cost more than another is no guarantee it will work any better in YOUR gun.

And remember that just because one powder cost more than another is no guarantee it will work any better in YOUR gun.
That's very true.
Even using the same powder as someone else uses and gets excellent results doesn't mean the same powder will work well in your gun.

These muzzleloading guns each have their own loads that they like and more than a few times a powder/ball/patch load that works great in Joe's gun won't work worth a darn in Fred's gun. Each gun is like an individual. (Some might even say, a finicky female individual, that likes to have it her way, or not at all.)

I've only ever used Goex but recently after reading about the different powders that are the favorites of shooters, I ordered 2 pounds of Old Ensyford 3f and 2 pounds of Swiss 3f.
Haven't shot any of it yet but excited to see for myself which is really better.

Someday I may be a good enough shot to really see the difference in powder brands.

I shot many powders when I was younger looking for that "magic combo". Don't shoot anything but 3F Goex now in all my rifles (38 through 50 cal) because it's just easier to buy "one" type. And lets face it, BP is a short range game. Whether I'm 3" @ 75 yards or 1" Bambi still has a hole through the boiler room.

Finding "how many grains" your rifle likes is far more important than who made the powder.

Back