• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

40 Cal
Reaction score
50 Cal Perdesoli "Hawken" style

FFFG or FFG or can both be used (not mixed together)

Kind of new at this. Last time I messed with caplocks was 35 years ago

Thanks

oops edit. Been shooting FFFG. Loading 85 grains with .490 PRB with pillow ticking.
Rifle groups about 2 inches at 50 yds. If I need to use FFG, will the load be the same?

Last edited:
I prefer fff. If you are wondering if you are using too much powder, shoot over a sheet. Unburned powder will be seen on the sheet. I've never had any issues with having to use a lighter load using 3f. The main thing is to use what shoots good for you and the gun.

So... don't you get more velocity with 2f? It would appear that the pressure curve lasts longer down the barrel? 3f would spike part way down?

I don't believe that there is any evidence to prove any substantial velocity differences to ffg vs. fffg. Pressure issues are non-existent. Use which shoots best for you in your rifle. The only way to do that is to experiment with both.

Like smokeless powder, I don't like buying too many . 2 for my pistols... 2 for my centerfire rifles............. when shooting flinters,i found GOEX 3F worked fine ...the fine 4F ,I use on occasion in my RUGER old army.....(Just because it arrived with my flinter)
my .50 cal CVA mountain pistol and my.50 cap locks all use 3 f.
PRB for plinking / paper punching...50-60 gr. by volume work very well.
hunting load PRB/ 255GR.lead in sabot...80 gr. is plenty.....after 80 gr. you get diminishing returns
on your power charge....... I figure all guns are different and you will have to experiment to find what works best for you........Its time well spent. enjoy it.

Rich, I've just gotten back into BP myself after years away messing with centerfire rifles and pistols. I did a little load searching here for .50cal .490 ball and fffg. What I found was that most suggested 60-75grs. I'm using 70grs and while I get 3-4" groups at 50 yards I'm not sure if it's my eyes and iron sights or patch thickness or lube but am still working on it. I'm curious about muzzle velocity but thats going to wait for spring weather.

I shoot Swiss exclusively, I use to shoot more 3F than 2, But lately it has been the other way around, i am liking the 2F better.

PGcR38Em.jpg

The Group above on Video, i was testing 2 different Over powder Wads here

Like every woman, every rifle is going to have it's own likes and dislikes.
The fun is in finding out what those are. (For women or rifles :)
I have settled on OE 3F for everything I have under .58 cal and get excellent results.
Charges and patch thickness vary by rifle for best accuracy, even in the same caliber group.
I shoot PRB in everything now, and cast almost everything I shoot using mostly Lee molds.

Back