• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WHICH POWDER and HOW MUCH is TOO MUCH.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLD CROW

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The old (Very old) debate about 3F v.s. 2 F has been ''raging on'' since I can remember....I am now talking about caplock rifles. 50 and 54 cal.....what I have used....
a really good video on U-TUBE.

I make no judgement/ comments about the video EXCEPT its v e r y
I n t e r e s t I n g.

IRAQVETERAN8888. (BLOWING UP A MUZZLELOADER)
QUITE AN EYEOPENER..!!!!!

It was interesting. No real surprises, other than how much smokeless it took to do damage. The difficulty in producing/causing damage with black powder was no surprise.

A certain fellow who worked for ''savage arms'' (Won't mention Randy's name)
but he talked a lot of trash about muzzleloaders ..CVA,TRADITIONS,and others which had/have Spanish and Italian barrels........CVA for example had,i i r c ,were originally made with DOUGLAS Barrels,made in the US of A..(you can't go no better...) later they went with Spanish barrels which are supposed to be ''inferior ''quality, worse than Italian barrels.......those ITALIAN barrel are on LYMAN , Traditions,Cabalas,safari and a whole slew of others.....all made (Barrels) by INVESTMARM Italy....
I don't think with the LAWYERS waiting in line for a multimillion dollar law suit, that ANY of the caplocks sold in the U.S. would have ''pipebomb'' barrels .
There was an issue for 1 or v2 years with a certain ''in line'''' muzzleloader, think it was CVA but don't remember for sure.......so this guy talked sooooo much trash that many folks just will not buy a M.L. with a barrel made in SPAIN or ITALY....sort of like saying,I WON'T DRIVE A FORD cause GMC had a transmission issue.... heck,THEY ARE BOTH PICK UP TRUCKS!!!!!!!
I think,from that video I mentioned,.its basic GRASS ROOTS.....Those good ole boys JUST SHOWING what it takes .........me,i'll stick to my 80.gr. max load for my 50 cals.... it works for me,DO I worry about blowing up my ''junk barrels'' NOPE... i will clean my guns after every outing and do an inspection . I'm more concerned about a mountain lion or bear bushwhacking me on the way to the mailbox.

It was interesting. No real surprises, other than how much smokeless it took to do damage. The difficulty in producing/causing damage with black powder was no surprise.
Ya,that titegroup is ''fast''. I use it with full wadcutters for target shooting in .38 special.....3.4 gr. that's like a ''pinch of salt'' with your fingers when making a marmot stew.

Entertaining video. I'd seen it cause I watch Iraqvetran8888 a lot. I'm cheap so I use just enough fffg Goex for best accuracy which is 70grs but I'm just starting with Dutch Shultz's method.

I saw that Iraqivet8888 video of those guys blowing up a muzzleloader and was also pretty amazed but I thought this thread was about black powder granulation and 2F vs 3F. I would say one ought to be careful about "driving too close to the center line" . If you start throwing a lot of variables into the mix, you could end up with a pretty deadly cocktail.

How much powder do I need in a 54 cal Hawken to shoot a big bear.
If your going to use a ball which typically weights 230 grains or so and you have a 30 plus inch barrel than 90-110 grains of 2F will give about all the velocity that combo will yield, probably in the 1800-1900 FPS realm. If you shoot over fresh snow or a bed sheet you can see when the un-burned powder begins to be ejected and you have reached your powder volume limit.

For what it's worth, I hunt hogs in the Mississippi swamp or maybe I should say they hunt me. That said, I use a Lyman mold to cast a solid lead 425gr hollow base, pointed projectile backed with 150gr of 777, such that if it doesn't knock him down I have a dense smoke screen to escape

Latest posts

Back