• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which percussion ML rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootn

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi folks! I have come across an older gentleman that is wanting to sell some ML rifles. All are in excellent condition,
all are .50 caliber and all are priced in the $650 range. I wanted to get an opinion on the best deal of the bunch.
Pedersoli Hawken
Browning Mountain Rifle
Green River Hawken

Any opinion would be appreciated!

I wasn't sure. I have two T/C Hawkens and a Lyman Great Plains now. I just didn't know if any of these three was particularly desirable. I have held a Browning before but never the other two. I am completely unfamiliar with the Green River Hawken.

I would take the 3 you already have over the others any day. I have the T/C Hawken`s Percussion & flint as well as the GPR and Pedersoli Hawken.

I think we will need some pictures to decide which is the best deal. As @ord sgt says, without pictures, then $650 is too high a price. I would have to know more details about the Green River Hawken. Who made the lock, who made the triggers, and who assembled the rifle?

I have a Browning in 50 and it is a very good rifle. It is no longer in production and parts to repair anything are approaching unobtanium status. Its the third choice. The Pedersoli Hawken has good reviews. I would consider it to be a better rifle than the T/C's and probably about equal to your Lyman Great Plains Rifle. Depending on condition, worth close to the $650. An inspection would be required and an offer less than $650. My interest would be in the Green River Hawken. Its value is all over the place depending on the components and who built it. Needs the details on the components and maker.

PICTURES!

Hi folks! I have come across an older gentleman that is wanting to sell some ML rifles. All are in excellent condition,
all are .50 caliber and all are priced in the $650 range. I wanted to get an opinion on the best deal of the bunch.
Pedersoli Hawken
Browning Mountain Rifle
Green River Hawken

Carefully check out the Green River! Do homework! If that's one of the handmade Green Rivers from the 70's, wow! Let us know! Dave61965's comment mirrors my own. If it was me, I'd make bulk offer for all as a lot, then sell two out to cover cost of one I'm saving.

I wasn't sure. I have two T/C Hawkens and a Lyman Great Plains now. I just didn't know if any of these three was particularly desirable. I have held a Browning before but never the other two. I am completely unfamiliar with the Green River Hawken.
Gentlemen, research the Green Rivers! If it's what I think it is, many guys will be snooping around to buy!

Pedersoli Hawken
Browning Mountain Rifle
Green River Hawken

Green river. Hands down. Then possibly the browning and then the Petersoli.

I would take the 3 you already have over the others any day. I have the T/C Hawken`s Percussion & flint as well as the GPR and Pedersoli Hawken.
I like t/c products too but I’d sell two or three to buy the Green River assuming the same condition overall. Even an abused Green River Hawken would be worth bringing back to life. Hell, send it out to Doc and see what he can do...

I'd see if I could work a package deal for 1250 to 1400. That'd be plenty of cold cash for me if I was trying to sell all three rifles. Hit them with that and see what happens.

RM

If you look around a bit you’ll find the Green River Rifle Works guns have a bit of a following and depending on condition could be quite desirable.

Pedersoli Hawken
Browning Mountain Rifle
Green River Hawken

It goes without saying, that overall condition of each of the rifles will certainly affect their usefulness and value.
Assuming all are in equal condition, the next question is how much you intend to use them as parts availability will come into play.
All three are great rifles, but from a potential resale value standpoint, I would rate them:
Johnathan Browning
Pedersoli Hawken
Green River Hawken

The Browning has a unique, push forward to shoot, single set trigger.
Some parts are still available, but somewhat difficult to find.
Pedersoli Hawkens are current production and parts are readily available. They are well made rifles and hold their value well.
Green River Hawkens are well made rifles, but parts are even more difficult to find than Browning.
At the price being asked ($650.00) you really can’t go wrong with any choice if they are in good, well maintained condition!

Try for a bulk price for all 3.

As mentioned, you could sell the ones you don't like, but I suspect that, after trying them all, you will be hard put to part with any of them.

I find it curious that spare parts are such an issue. .Unlike noted US makers I case harden all metalwork other than barrels & springs . I've only made about two hundred ML guns but none came back needing spare parts or needed any I know of other than a hand made scear in an 'English' lock Musket Tom Brown bought that the Days fixed ( I made a number of archaic locked guns ) .

I was approached at an Eastern RV by a man who had bought a rifle I sold via Dixons .I'me thinking " What's he got went wrong ?," it was an English rifle with a Durs Egg lock half stock with a pistol grip .What he had done was getting Keith Casteel to inlay silver wire work the rifle was fine , The wire work seemed bit out of period but the customer is allways right of course . I've even seen gold inlaid Buffalo,s on a TC rifle. No accounting for taste !
Rudyard

Back