• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which percussion caps to use?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I agree, but want to make both a joke and a point.
Isn't every shot from a muzzle loader as different [or variable] from each other just like every snowflake is different [or variable] from each other?
There are soooo many other variables to consider that folks are usually just happy if their nipple simply works. ;)

Is it true that every snowflake is different?
The short answer to the question is yes -- it is indeed extremely unlikely that two complex snowflakes will look exactly alike.
It's so extremely unlikely, in fact, that even if you looked at every one ever made you would not find any exact duplicates.--->>> https://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/alike/alike.htm
Interesting to note that the bevel brothers discovered such velocity differences between ten caps of the same brand. They can vary so widely (SD of 50 FPS with a high velocity of 200fps?) yet often the standard deviation of hunting loads are commonly seen in the teens.

I recently bought an underhammer and the nipple in it was badly eroded. The hole was actually oblong. The groups at 50 meters were 8-10" and very erratic. A new nipple, and all other variables constant, the groups closed up to 1-1.5" at 75 meters. Yes, an eroded nipple will cause issues. They are cheap, just change them out when they get bad. Not an issue!

Zonie,

Worked with your craft for years, you bring knowledge and experience.

Did not know durn, was preference to an Engineers title.

Thanks for your efforts.

I agree, but want to make both a joke and a point.
Isn't every shot from a muzzle loader as different [or variable] from each other just like every snowflake is different [or variable] from each other?
There are soooo many other variables to consider that folks are usually just happy if their nipple simply works. ;)

Is it true that every snowflake is different?
The short answer to the question is yes -- it is indeed extremely unlikely that two complex snowflakes will look exactly alike.
It's so extremely unlikely, in fact, that even if you looked at every one ever made you would not find any exact duplicates.--->>> https://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/alike/alike.htm

Yes, there are variations in every load. When you want as accurate performance as you can get, then you want to control as many of the variables as you can. That's why we use the same measure to throw the charge, the same patching material, the same lubrication, the same size ball and point to the same spot on the target.

All that said, there are times when I would be better off throwing rocks.

If #11 Magnum caps cause balls/bullets to shift I suppose the tens of millions of muskets and rifles using musket caps (which were hotter originally) would have had all kinds of problems.

The people who shoot matches with really expensive percussion match rifles use Swiss brand black powder and usually RWS #11 or #10 caps , but they recommend using the lightest cap that will set the charge off reliably, and stick with that exact cap forever in that gun as switching caps can shift POI.

Will it matter for Joe Sixpack who hunts with a beat up Traditions Hawken percussion rifle and otherwise doesn't use muzzleloaders......but it matters to the guy shooting a Pedersoli Gibbs .40 who's in an NRA match shooting at 400 meters, where .1" can mean 1st or 35th place.

Many misfires can be prevented by:

1. Removing the nipple and cleaning the flame channel with a bristled pipe cleaner.

2. As previously mentioned slap the stock a couple times after loading powder. This allows powder to enter the flame channel.

3. Fully seating the cap on the nipple.

Good luck with your muzzleloading experience.

The people who shoot matches with really expensive percussion match rifles use Swiss brand black powder and usually RWS #11 or #10 caps , but they recommend using the lightest cap that will set the charge off reliably, and stick with that exact cap forever in that gun as switching caps can shift POI.

Will it matter for Joe Sixpack who hunts with a beat up Traditions Hawken percussion rifle and otherwise doesn't use muzzleloaders......but it matters to the guy shooting a Pedersoli Gibbs .40 who's in an NRA match shooting at 400 meters, where .1" can mean 1st or 35th place.

That's why all of the top shooters say to never get into an argument with your spouse, because they
just may swap out all of your percussion caps when you're asleep and ruin your next competition. ;)

I just think RWS, RWS, RWS. Shot 1000's of them no problems. Won many matches with them.

Learned about them by some of the biggest match winners and RWS let me beat a few of them but not all. In hunting a long time ago when I used caplocks they were to be depended on.

If I were to compete again or hunt with a caplock again they would be the cap I would use no matter the cost or how difficult to find, others I found to be a poor substitute.

My Thompson Renegade requires pushing down on the cap to make sure it is seated all the way down on the nipple. If I don't, the cap may require two strikes with the hammer to ignite. It may be time for a new nipple.

For example I found no difference in reliability with CCI #11 regular vs Magnum caps in my Kentucky pistol. I only use real BP.

I do use Magnum #11 caps with my Volunteer rifle.

Overall I feel if you're using real Black you can get by with non magnum #11's but like was said, anyone who's serious about competition shooting uses RWS.

Muzzleloading is huge in Europe and I guarantee every single competitive muzzleloader uses RWS.

My Thompson Renegade requires pushing down on the cap to make sure it is seated all the way down on the nipple. If I don't, the cap may require two strikes with the hammer to ignite. It may be time for a new nipple.

Or you could get a musket cap nipple for your renegade.

I
Many misfires can be prevented by:

1. Removing the nipple and cleaning the flame channel with a bristled pipe cleaner.

2. As previously mentioned slap the stock a couple times after loading powder. This allows powder to enter the flame channel.

3. Fully seating the cap on the nipple.

Good luck with your muzzleloading experience.
Leaned long ago that just leaning the lock to down position helps with getting powder in the channel. A little tap of the butt on to of the foot synches it. Can make a lot of difference between an immediate set off and hesitation.

Back