• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Which Pedersoli Tryon to get for target shooting? (.50 or .54)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeadShark

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Good evening!

I'm currently looking to get another rifle for target shooting and the offers I am currently looking at are 2 Tryons. One of them is the standard one in .50 and the other one is the deluxe version in .54. The one in .50 is about 100 dollars less than the one in .54. I am unsure which one to get because some people I know say that the .50 is better than the .54 and vice versa.

I should add that I intend to mostly shoot at 50 yards, but might also want to try 100 yards at one point. I will most likely only shoot PRB.

I apologize for my less than stellar english. It's not my first language. I hope you can still understand my question. I also hope I didn't accidentally post this in the wrong section of this forum.

Sincerely,

LeadShark

Your sentences are more proper and more legible than what most everyone uses these days. Especially when trying to use a phone or tablet to post.

I would prefer the 54 if being used on game but the 50 makes more sense if you are just shooting paper targets as you will use less lead. If you do not cast it is likely that the 54 balls are cheaper and easier to find. The difference in a standard and deluxe model might change my opinion though.

Thanks. I appreciate the compliment.

From what I can gather from the Pedersoli website, the .50 apparently has a 1:48 twist while the .54 has a 1:65 twist. I personally don't know if the difference here or the difference between .50 and .54 will really show for mostly 50 yards and the odd here and there 100 yards shooting outing. What do you think?

Yes. I intend to only shoot paper targets 😁

Thank you for the super quick reply.

The 50 caliber will have a flatter trajectory, but not really all that much. The faster twist barrel is likely to get to optimal accuracy on the paper targets with a smaller charge of powder. Also the 50 caliber ball will be easier to find on the shelves of the gun store.

@rafterob and @Grenadier1758 .

Thank you guys a lot for responding to this thread!

I should add that thanks to a clubmate, the roundballs won't really be that expensive if I decided on the .54

So is the .50 inherently more accurate than the .54? Would have thought that the 1:65 twist would be better for PRB.

Thanks again so much for the responses!

Its really the barrel and the smoothness of the barrel, not the caliber that is the determinant of accuracy. Of course there is the need for the specific and consistent weight, grain size and brand of black (or substitute) powder. Then comes consistency of the weight of the ball, patch thickness and patch lubricant. The twist rate isn't really that much of a determinant.

Thanks! That is information I did not really know before.

So for 50 to 100 yards you say the .50 is much more accurate? Or is the difference there negligible? Or is it just the shooter behind it all?

Thanks for answering all of my stupid questions. 😁

Either one would be fine for round ball as long as the grooves are deep enough. Obviously the .54 cal is set up for round ball because of the rate of twist, but if the 50 cal has sufficiently deep grooves, then that would work for round ball also.

I like the .54 with the slower twist. The slower twist usually prefers a heavier charge of powder than the faster twist. The heavier ball and heavier charge fights wind drift at longer distances in my experience. I have three 54 cal rifles. Otherwise one is not more accurate than the other. The 54 rifle will be slightly lighter than a 50 cal rifle if they have the same width barrel. The 54 bore is larger so less metal.

Talking Tryon target rifles you have a nice selection to review.
5f68c41d1c695091125451.jpeg
5f68c41c9b366089122436.jpeg
Either one would be good for target shooting, just pick the caliber. They both have pretty good sights for what you want to do.

I have used my 50 caliber Tryon in competitions for years out to 100 yards. I have won a few medals each competition with it. It is more accurate than I am. In the end, either caliber should work if you find the load it likes and learn to shoot it.

Thanks! That is information I did not really know before.

So for 50 to 100 yards you say the .50 is much more accurate? Or is the difference there negligible? Or is it just the shooter behind it all?

Thanks for answering all of my stupid questions. 😁
[the only stupid question is the one not asked
A lot of good information here
Bunk

Last edited by a moderator:
My Tryon delux is .45 caliber and has barrel mounted open sights. Fory five is less expensive to shoot. I'd go with .50 if it was my only choice. Around here target matches must be shot with open sights. A target model Tryon with a tang sight wouldn't be acceptable. Would that be an issue for you? At 50 yards you won't see much difference in trajectory for .45, .50 or .54. At 100 yards you would notice more, but sights can be adjusted to compensate.

It's fun to see names like Tryon along with other old gun names. Tryon was still in business in Philadelphia PA until the 1960's (they were the dist. for several of the larger outdoor power equipment manufacturers). Large hardware store, lawn equipment and so on.

The Edward K. Tryon Company was a sporting goods retailer and wholesaler located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. They were in business under various Tryon names from 1811 until sometime in the mid to late 1950s. Edw. K. Tryon was the largest sporting goods retailer in the United States and possibly the world for some time.

We had an outdoor power equipment business and Edward K. Tryon Company was one of our suppliers up unitl the 1960's.

My Tryon delux is .45 caliber and has barrel mounted open sights. Fory five is less expensive to shoot. I'd go with .50 if it was my only choice. Around here target matches must be shot with open sights. A target model Tryon with a tang sight wouldn't be acceptable. Would that be an issue for you? At 50 yards you won't see much difference in trajectory for .45, .50 or .54. At 100 yards you would notice more, but sights can be adjusted to compensate.
Same here. Open sights.

How much difference would you notice here?

I think I already know which one to pick. Will update you guys and send pics if it is so!

Little slow in getting in on the conversation, but here goes.
I shot a 50 caliber Trails Gun Armory Tryon for many years in the 80's thru early 90's, open sights and if I did my part she was good to 125 yard.
.490 prb, .015 patching with 65 gr. 3f. was my best target load. 85 gr. of powder on 100 - 125 yard shooting.
I let her go after an injury shut my target shooting days down.
I did pick up a new Pedersoli 54 cal five years back that has only lived in the gun safe as my interest changed to smooth-bore flinters.
You can't go wrong with a Tryon in either caliber, just take the time to practice and work up a load you and your rifle like.

Time for the update just as promised.

I decided to get the Deluxe version in .54 .

Here are some pictures:

8VFhiLw.jpg

zwLTWHp.jpg

Thanks a lot to everyone who shared their advice with me on this thread! Can't wait to shoot it!

Sincerely,

LeadShark

Back