Which National Park has most Fur Trade Era historical sites?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Armando

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to plan a family trip for a couple of days out West and was hoping to concentrate at a National Park with most nearby historical Mountain Man/Fur Trade Era sites.

Any recommendations and/or resources?

Armando

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Out west is big. Bents fort, fort Bridger, museum of the fur trade, are a bit apart. South pass bear valley, are neat to see. Grand Tetons east and west side should not be missed.
Yup...I know. I've done some traveling through Montana, Idaho, etc.

I'm just hoping someone would steer me, through their own experience, I recommended National Park to stay at where we could do day trips to some of those sites.

Scarface

32 Cal
Reaction score
Yup...I know. I've done some traveling through Montana, Idaho, etc.

I'm just hoping someone would steer me, through their own experience, I recommended National Park to stay at where we could do day trips to some of those sites.
Wyoming hands down, the center for the American Fur Trade. Museum of Mountain Man in Pinedale and surrounding area. Close to Jackson, Teton N.P. and then Yellowstone. Cody, WY has the old Trail Town and Buffalo Bill Museum which is a must see. You can make a big U and see everything depending on how you come. Southern WY has good museums as the Territorial Prison in Laramie, drive over the Snowy Range Mountains and enjoy the hot springs in Saratoga, drive down to Encampment and they have an excellent museum, then drive over Battle Pass towards Baggs and in the Little Snake River Valley is a lot of fur trade history with Mountain Man Baker's cabin. The Lander on the eastern side of the Wind River Mountains is also a great area as well as the Sheridan & Buffalo areas on the east side of the BIghorns.

Del Gue

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Were it me, I'd try to stay in Yellowstone or Grand Tetons, mebbeso, or Jackson Hole. That's a good central location. Then I'd hit the Museum of the Mountain Man in Pinedale and the Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody. You might even see when the rendezvous is held in Pinedale and schedule your trip so you can attend. That would be shinin' times, going to that one!

http://www.pinedaleonline.com/RendezvousDays.HTM

I'd also do some research prior to going out there, and hit as many of the rendezvous locations as possible. There's nothing quite like being there, being where they had the rendezvous, to make you feel it. Development has occurred since then, for sure, but there are still things to be seen. I'd put Bent's Fort on the bucket list, too.

Group Builder