• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Which mold ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both. In the last year or so as I’ve acquired iron molds of calibers I use, I’ve sold off Lee’s. Still have some Lee but only because I haven’t found a replacement.

As I said earlier I prefer the less expensive Lee. My iron Lyman .54 leaves a nasty sprue, while my .375, .454. and .490 Lee leave a much nicer ball. The only reason I have the Lyman was because I couldn't find a .54 Lee. I never worry about my Lees rusting like I do my iron molds or getting the rust preventing oil off the iron ones to cast good bullets. Yes, you can damage a Lee mold more easily thru misuse or carelessness but the blocks sure won't rust up.

Have multiple molds of different manufacturers and have not had a problem with any of them in over 45 years of molding bullets. Most are made by Lee and some are over 45 years old. ... still going strong. Buy only Lee nowadays unless there is a bullet that Lee has no mold.

????
Round ball .440
Lyman steel 1 cavity
or
Lee aluminum 2 cavity for $10 less
I would go for the Lee. 2x the production from your efforts. I have a number of both brands; they all make good balls, tho' I like the almost sprueless Lee-cast best. Plus, if you don't own handles, you will need to get some for the Lyman blocks.
I have both molds and usually prefer the Lee when time comes to cast.

Back