• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Which maker?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I'd heard that Pietta's were mechanically better. My CVA Walker has a short arbor too. I need to fix that.

Since the adoption of CNC and CAD processes in the late noughties, Pietta's are VERY different to their earlier, hand-fettled, products. They are, IMO, the equal of any other high-quality Italian-made firearm and I recommend them to anybody. I've never seen a blue Model of 1858, though, but I shot beside my old pal Ken yesterday - me with my ROA and him with his recent Pietta and both were equally well-made to me.

Just remember that if the version you buy has adjustable sights then it does not comply with the N-SSA rulebook. You might 'fudge' the shiny finish - stainless-v-nickel - but the fancy sights are a no-no from the off.

Stainless isn't any easier to clean than blue, and nickel will tarnish with blackpowder fouling. I've seen a stainless Ruger Redhawk that was pitted rather badly.

Buy a blued one, clean it properly, and all will be well. ;)
Stainless pits because there is SALT present. That STAINLESS RUGER was most likely loaded with Pyrodex.

Stainless pits because there is SALT present. That STAINLESS RUGER was most likely loaded with Pyrodex.
You think black powder would have less likely caused pitting? I have Pyrodex and stopped shooting it through my rifle because it seemed to take longer to clean out if I had done quite a bit of shooting for the day.
Using black powder in my rifle it just seems to clean up easier. I figure the same for a pistol.

Since the adoption of CNC and CAD processes in the late noughties, Pietta's are VERY different to their earlier, hand-fettled, products. They are, IMO, the equal of any other high-quality Italian-made firearm and I recommend them to anybody. I've never seen a blue Model of 1858, though, but I shot beside my old pal Ken yesterday - me with my ROA and him with his recent Pietta and both were equally well-made to me.

Just remember that if the version you buy has adjustable sights then it does not comply with the N-SSA rulebook. You might 'fudge' the shiny finish - stainless-v-nickel - but the fancy sights are a no-no from the off.
I can't find any adjustable site models anyhow.

You think black powder would have less likely caused pitting? I have Pyrodex and stopped shooting it through my rifle because it seemed to take longer to clean out if I had done quite a bit of shooting for the day.
Using black powder in my rifle it just seems to clean up easier. I figure the same for a pistol.
Truth!

wm

Back