• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Which maker?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkpatrick

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I'm currently shopping for a cap and ball revolver that is stainless finish. I like the look and I know they're easier to clean.
I'm hoping for 44 cal. and adjustable sites.
I remember many years ago, seeing revolvers for sale that were even shinier looking than stainless. Were they once offered in nickel? Not even sure that would be as easy to clean as stainless but anyway, they looked real good.

The root of my question is more towards out of the box shoot-ability.

I don't mind doing a few things to make it more shootable out of the box but I have had revolvers that came with too short of arbor or other issues.

So my question is, what maker has the best out of the box stainless cap and ball revolver? I'm looking for the opinions from this forum and I sure thank you all in advance for any points of view.

M

Dixie has two models listed as available, both are Ubertis. One is a target model with adjustable sights and the other is just stainless. Both are in the $500 range.

Ruger Old Army for a shooter.

I have 8 Ruger Old Army revolvers (most stainless), and I need to thin the herd... only photo I have at the moment is when my cat sat beside me as I had them out recently (she actually plopped down atop the stainless 5-1/2" model)
cats & guns.jpg

I've heard some like Pietta's more than Uberti's and vice versa.
Whats the major differences between those two?

I'm currently shopping for a cap and ball revolver that is stainless finish. I like the look and I know they're easier to clean.
I'm hoping for 44 cal. and adjustable sites.
I remember many years ago, seeing revolvers for sale that were even shinier looking than stainless. Were they once offered in nickel? Not even sure that would be as easy to clean as stainless but anyway, they looked real good.

The root of my question is more towards out of the box shoot-ability.

I don't mind doing a few things to make it more shootable out of the box but I have had revolvers that came with too short of arbor or other issues.

So my question is, what maker has the best out of the box stainless cap and ball revolver? I'm looking for the opinions from this forum and I sure thank you all in advance for any points of view.

M

Sorry, Stainless requires the same cleaning as blued steel. Black Powder will corrode and pit both. Only advantage to stainless is no bluing wear. I would rather have a polished in the white gun like my Cap and Flint LePage single shots. They continue to look great since 1996 with many matches and practice sessions with over 15,000 rounds each. Stainless guns also have wear problems due to galling...c

Stainless is ok I guess. But in a hunting or tactical situation, I don’t want the shine of stainless to give me away.

Stainless is ok I guess. But in a hunting or tactical situation, I don’t want the shine of stainless to give me away.

Sam, et al., It just occurred to me that for hunting purposes you could spray a SS revolver with something like dry graphite film (NAPA sells it), which is dull black. What doesn't rub off can be removed with a swab or old toothbrush and isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.

For out of the box shoot ability, if Uberti and Pietta are the only ones I can find available (wow the price has gone up on all these types!)
What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of those two brands?

There is really no difference as far as function they both work the same - same model compared to same model. Buy either one you find at a good price and it will serve you well IF you take care of it and not abuse it. I have both Pietta and Uberti - old ones and newer ones - they all work well. The only stainless BP revolver I have is a Ruger Old Army. I also have a blued version. I consider the Ruger the Cadillac of BP revolvers. :thumb:

There is really no difference as far as function they both work the same - same model compared to same model. Buy either one you find at a good price and it will serve you well IF you take care of it and not abuse it. I have both Pietta and Uberti - old ones and newer ones - they all work well. The only stainless BP revolver I have is a Ruger Old Army. I also have a blued version. I consider the Ruger the Cadillac of BP revolvers. :thumb:

as much as I like the Ruger Old Army (I have had a dozen of them), I kind of consider the Rogers & Spencer to be the pinnacle of BP revolvers (I have several of those too)...

I would suggest staying with a blue steel one. Like others said the cleaning is the same. I just hose it down with windex (regular or vineagar), spray down in the trigger mechanizum ( no need to take frame apart) wipe off, blow dry, lube everything but not the insides of cylinder and it won't rust. So easy to do and you don't get that fart smell like with water.

Uberti will look more historic but the Pietta is mechanically better. Uberti will have a short arbor and that is it’s only draw back. Not hard to fix and some don’t bother but you should.

I have a .44 blue Traditions (Pietta) with a 8" barrel but with fixed sights. I had one a couple of years ago but had to sell it but loved it. Check them out at MidwayUSA

I thought I'd heard that Pietta's were mechanically better. My CVA Walker has a short arbor too. I need to fix that.

I have 8 Ruger Old Army revolvers (most stainless), and I need to thin the herd... only photo I have at the moment is when my cat sat beside me as I had them out recently (she actually plopped down atop the stainless 5-1/2" model)View attachment 87295

No wonder there are none for anybody else............................................

Back