• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Which Lee Melting Pot To Buy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erhunter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking into casting my own .530 round balls and want some opinions on which melting pot to buy. I will buy a double cavity mould and melter. Any input would be appreciated! I shoot around 1000 balls a year.

Preferences in a melting pot are as varied as the person melting.
Everything from cast iron skillets to very expensive "systems"
The major choice you will make: Dipping or bottom pouring?
I have a couple of Lee bottom pour pots, I don't like dipping - but that's just me.
My pots are in the 15-20 year old age bracket - so I know they are dependable.
My molds are varied - 6 or more brands and many styles. Find one that makes a round you like and take care of it properly.
For the .530 and .535 balls I cast - I use the Lee double molds, they are inexpensive and cast very nice balls.
I would also suggest finding a caster in your area and spending an afternoon watching-helping them cast. It will shorten your learning curve greatly.

I have a couple Lee pots aka "dripomatics". They work but the nozzle on the bottom needs some attention from time to time to keep the drip feature from working itself into the on position. Get one that holds at least 20lb. Less than that and you're recharging often and that slows production. Problem gets worse with larger bullets, more cavities in the mold.

Thanks for all of your replies! I was thinking of getting the Lyman Mag 25? but the price is up there. Are they worth the $$$?

I was wondering about will the temperature for the lead get to hot with going with the 20 lb. Lee. Will it frost the lead when the lead gets lower in the pot?

Thanks for your reply Griz44Mag! I read on a site that if the balls look frosted your lead is to hot, is that true?

I had a lee "dripomatic" for about twenty years. I liked the temp control but the dripping finally prompted me to sell it.

Now I use a Lyman cast melting pot and and a cast pot with a handle and pouring lip. The one with the handle is used to pour ingots. Ingots are poured into a six chamber muffin tin.

To pour it's a lyman dipper with a pour spout.

Heat source is a yard sale Coleman Coleman stove converted to use the small 1# propane bottles. I have scavenged more of those 1# bottles than I could ever need. These make heat control very easy.

I also use a device (Walmart) that allows refilling the1# bottles for less than a dollar each.

I also use a pair of welders gloves while casting for protection. If you have deep pockets you could invest in a leather blacksmith apron but they are very pricey! I do fine wearing a long sleeved heavy shirt and Levi's.

That's just my way of doing it.

If you are in normal physical shape, you can cast your 1000 ball supply in one session. But, once you get into the casting game you migh shoot a lot more.

Good luck with your endeavor 1

I like the ladle casting. It's works great for me and don't have to worry about leaks. I also keep adding to the pot a little at a time so the lead level stays up and I don't have to stop and wait for the lead to heat up to resume casting. With a double 54 you will go through lead pretty fast so get the 20# pot.

I have the small Lee production pot. It holds about 10 lbs of lead. I don't shoot a whole lot so, when I need to make a quantity of balls, I use that and the Lee double cavity mold.

My preference is to melt lead right over a camp fire. I have a cast iron ladle that'll hold about 5 lbs of lead. The fire method harks back to the old days and that's why I like doing it that way. It's not the fastest method but it's fun.

If you are going to use a double cavity .54 mold, you will probably need a large (10-20 lb) bottom pour pot. Overheating the pot shouldn't be a problem because you will be draining it fast and adding more lead to melt. Your mold on the other hand will probably overheat.
So you have a balancing act to perform.
You may need two molds, swapping back and forth allowing one time to cool.
Casting is a ballet.
When I cast even with a 10 pound pot I usually cast several calibers at the same time, rotating the molds so they can maintain a proper temp.
For example when I cast .69's I also cast .32's or .45's the smaller calibers don't use as much lead, but slow you down and allow you to regulate things better. The reverse is also true.

I don't use a dipping pot for production because you spend to much time dipping and skimming instead of dropping balls. They work great for the low volume shooter, they are also cheap and easy to use.

Casting is fun, but has a learning curve.

I use a Lee 10lb. bottom pour. I put a Lyman ingot mold under the spout and let it drip. When the drips get too high, I put them back in the pot with pliers. If you wiggle the spout with a screwdriver once in a while, it won't drip too bad. Gets the dirt out of the spout.

I bent a worn out hacksaw blade C shaped to make spring seal for the spout while it is warming up. It clamps on the top of the pot and the spout. Keeps the spout cool. No leaks.

I use a Lee 10lb. bottom pour. I put a Lyman ingot mold under the spout and let it drip. When the drips get too high, I put them back in the pot with pliers. If you wiggle the spout with a screwdriver once in a while, it won't drip too bad. Gets the dirt out of the spout.

x2 :thumb:

Back