• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tannehill

40 Cal
Reaction score
I can't decide between a pedrosoli Lu in .45 or a traditions Hawken in . 50. About 150$ difference in price.

Help

For just a little more you can get a Kibler Woods Runner kit and have the best rifle kit on the market, bar none. Everything is pre-fitted, you will have it assembled in a couple of hours tops.

This picture is from the Alabama Kentucky Longrifle show; Mike Rayburn is a master at finishing Kibler kits, this is his table. A finished Woods Runner is on top, then two assembled Woods Runner kits followed by two finished Kibler Colonial rifles.

kibler rifles and kits.jpg

https://kiblerslongrifles.com/colle...er-rifle-kit-pre-order?variant=39687164821622

Last edited:
I should say I have only built a Traditions Kentucky pistol, CVA mountain pistol and a Traditions Kentucky rifle. Thinking a cheaper Traditions might be easier 😎, for such a novice.

I should say I have only built a Traditions Kentucky pistol, CVA mountain pistol and a Traditions Kentucky rifle. Thinking a cheaper Traditions might be easier 😎, for such a novice.
The Pedersoli is of higher quality with a better lock. The Traditions isn't junk, just not quite as nice. And, as said, neither are in the Kibler league.

If you want a long rifle get a Kibler. There is nothing better available, it is not close.

Chambers is fine but will require a lot more skill to complete.

The Pedersoli Kentucky has goofie styling. It also has a long breech plug with a chamber. That will give ignition problems. I would not own a Pedersoli but have flipped a few. They are better than the price point guns but that is all I can say about them. I have owned and now own several Kiblers. People like them so much they pry them from my hands.

The Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle and the Colonial kit do take a little bit of gun building skill to complete, they are not completely CNC machined like the Woods Runner kit. It took me about 15 hours to complete a SMR kit, I had done two scratch builds and a pre-carve parts gun kit prior to buying the Kibler. The SMR took some parts fitting and a lot of metal sanding, finishing and barrel draw filing.

I suspect the Woods runner kit would be easier to assemble than a Traditions kit.

Can anyone tell me what wood Pedersoli uses? Especially in The Kentucky.

I know Traditions used beech, or as they say select hardwood.

I recently put together a Pedersoli kit. It had all the pieces already assembled (it still needs to be disassembled to finish the kit though) and didn't require too much additional fitting on the stock. It shoots great.

I haven't tried a Traditions kit, but I'm very happy with my Pedersoli.

I did a Pedersoli scout carbine percussion last year. I love it not a bit of trouble so far.

Back