• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Which kit to buy ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyblackpowder

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello,
I’m have been working on an English Fowler for about 5 yrs off and on . It’s a tip curtis parts kit. I’m about done with it . And I thinking about another kit . But I don’t know if I what another Curtis kit , Track of the wolf ,Tennessee Valley or a Kibler kit . It’s going be a southern 45 cal or 50 cal . Does any body have any advice. Thanks

TVA or TVM kits are great. Truthfully, a Kibler kit is several steps above. The shaping and inlet work is almost done..... and the style is correct. I would suggest you contact each of them nd have a discussion about what you are looking for and then decide based on their information.
Thanks

If you want a great looking rifle with not much intensive work involved get a Kibler. I built one of Jim's SMRs this year, it was a joy to work with such a perfectly constructed kit.

If you want to learn gun building and get better, buy a blank, accumulate all your parts including full sized plans, send your barrel and blank off for inletting and ramrod hole drilling and proceed.You can learn barrel inletting on future guns if you choose, I haven't taken that step yet.

My first attempt, a Beck, Fred Miller did my barrel inletting and hole drilling.

Beck parts.jpg

I tried two precarves and had so much trouble out of the way they shaped I will stick to plank builds in the future.

I did another plank build before the prcarves, here is the way the barrel and blank came back from Fred.

inletted by Fred.jpg

I drew a pattern and got started on the fowler blank in the above picture.

making a pattern.jpg

Last edited:
Does any body have any advice. Thanks[/QUOTE said:
Build one from scratch! Forget the kits. When I started out in the 70's I had my first TC Hawken and drooled for a hand made flintlock. A friend who painted cars for a living showed me his beautiful hand made from scratch Kentucky long rifle. I thought "if he (a painter who is not a trade skilled wood worker) can make a rifle from scratch, so can I". I have made all my guns from scratch, but two. The last one I am working on now has some problems because of factors that were determined/made by others. Pick out your favorite pattern, get a barrel, lock and your parts. There are also lots of parts that can be made with a drill, hacksaw and files.
You will enjoy a scratch build more than a kit, because it will reflect more of you.
Flintlocklar

I’ve never delt with Kibler or Chambers, but all you hear is great things about them. I have delt with Track, Pecotonic and Long Cabin. In the old days I delt with Golden age arms, but I think they are out of business.
I was never disappointed with any, with one exception, Golden age sent me stock wood that was too small for the parts.
Choose the style you want lay out the specks and I think you will find any of the above mentioned companies will treat you right.

Build yourself a try gun out of plywood before you mess around with a real blank or pre-carve. The build books have directions on how tho make one. Might as well get your specific measurements right first. That is particularly true for the drop at the comb number, but also cast-off and toe in. Decide on the style first, because deeply hooked BP's will fit you differently than a wider flatter BP. Once you have a gun that really really fits you, you will be amazed at how club like every other gun out there feels.

You certainly and most definitely won't go wrong with a kibler. Built many kits and love them all for their own unique attributes. I will say thus far my vote goes to Jim Kibler indeed. His kits are just a phenomenal value with quality to match. I loved the Colonial so much a SMR just had to be had! Currently awaiting a few rainy, or snowy days now to get her going. Overall YOU need to decide and examine your skill level and make that decision accordingly.

Attachments

• 20181020_144033.jpg
    20181020_144033.jpg
    751.9 KB · Views: 154
I got my blanks from Dunlap, both maple blanks were cheap ones, about $90 and had larger curl from one end to the other. The walnut appeared on the outside to be figured so it was $150, the figure went away when I shaped the stock.

Stock #1;

AQ close view finished.jpg

Walnut;

fowler selfies 003.JPG

#3, another $90 blank, I sent this blank off to be precarved, they didn't do a good job.

squirrel rifle done 009.JPG

Look at the C.L.A. site Kibler has a ad for 995.00 ready to ship. Just left the site if they came in left hand I would spring for one. Might not be the cal. you want but a good price.

I want thank all for there inputs on the topic . I decide to put together a Kibler kit . And then build a plank gun later.
Thanks again .

I'm sure you will love it, they are beautiful guns. And from watching his videos, his cnc machining of the stock is darn near spot on. I'm quite sure you will find it much simpler to build than your previous.

Eric,

Who did the pre-carving for you that you aren't that impressed with?
For the first . It’s was my 1st gun I every built . It’s a gun I just missed with I wasn’t busy in my shop . And then I got busy at work and then I got deathly sick. And then I was really blessed and received a liver transplant . And now I’m finishing my 1 st kit . I was young and uneducated on the way to build gun . Now I understand the way you have build then now . It was parts came from tip Curtis. And I also I on a 32 cal tip built . He is a great gun builder and his parts are on the average parts . I was just young and thought I known more than I actually did. The gun looks simple but there’s a lot detail in the gun. I hope this paint a clearer picture.

Maybe that's good advice, but I don't think so. It's like advising a struggling artist to go out and paint a masterpiece. I don't have the skill, talent, or time to even do a In the White kit, much less a scratch rifle.

Back