• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Which Kibler?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozz

32 Cal
Reaction score
Actually, I’m almost 100% decided on the SMR, but which caliber. Primarily I’ll be using it for competitions but will hunt too. I hear the .40 is good. It’s the smallest caliber you can deer hunt with here in Alabama. Thanks for the help
Paul

A well placed .40 will take down deer. I used one here in Kansas for 15 years. A .45 would have a little more punch and would be better for windage, though. You can’t go wrong with either, especially a Kibler.

I hope to get a SMR kit down the road....same decision, but I will likely only be using it for small game and target. Decision between 40 and .45. Probably go with a .40 because all of the rest of mine are .50 cal and larger, but from what I see the 36s get real finicky.

The .40 will do well for both deer and small game as long as you match your loading to the game sought. You could also shoot game both large and small with the same load as long as you are a headhunter with the little dudes.

"...It’s the smallest caliber you can deer hunt with here in Alabama...."
First let me say that I've never hunted deer in Alabama. All of my deer hunting has been out west where mule deer can get pretty big and distances can get a pretty long. I will say that minimum calibers are just that - minimum. You said that you were set on a Kibler SMR. If it were me, and clearly it isn't, I'd go .45. I've never known more "oomph" on the critter end of things to be a bad thing. But, at the end of the day, you gotta do you...
Good luck!

I have all but a 40 cal, so need to get one of those. :)

I am a club shooter, I think the 40 is an excellent choice. I have several other 40s. 40 is easy to manage and load. Working up loads has been easy for my 40s.

The 32 is a fickle and fiddley thing to work with. Count on more work to find the best load. The 32 is difficult for old hands and cold weather. Precut patches are frustrating. You will have to make a patch cutter. You will have to make a short starter too. I am not aware of either being sold. The balls only weigh 44 grains. My 32 uses about 35 grains for best accuracy.

The 36 is a nice club gun. It shoots accurately. It is thrifty.

If you want to shoot a deer with it get the 45. The 45 is very light weight and balances very nicely off hand.

No matter what you decide you will love it.

I can offer this feedback about my Kibler .45. I love it! Great all around gun for game and target shooting.

Caliber is not the only thing to consider about a SMR. Have you shot a rifle with a crescent butt plate? If not look into it. You can't shoulder it like a modern rifle. Some find they don't like the between shoulder and bicep hold. I love it, but it's not for everyone.

I have the Kibler SMR in both 45 and 36 cal. I like the 45 for trail walks over the 36 just because of the longer shots and some of the heavier knock down targets. I have also taken deer with it. The 36 is good for small game and paper shooting. Very economical to shoot, but so is the 45. The 45 is very light to carry while hunting, but I also notice it is harder to hold the gun on target in heavier wind conditions. That long light barrel does catch air in windy conditions, but so would the 40 because it is light too.

Thanks for the input gentleman.

One thing I was considering and hasn’t come up yet is the twist rate difference for PRB. If I remember correctly, the 45 is 1/66 and the 40 is 1/48.

I’ve heard that the 40 is a wonderfully accurate rifle. But wouldn’t it be limited in charge capacity for PRB? Is anyone shooting lead projectiles out of their 40?

I’m not experienced, that’s why I’m here. Thanks for the help.

The twist doesn't really matter. An accurate load can be worked up with any twist. The smaller calibers usually use a faster twist, but it isn't necessarily required. The slower twist may take a tad more powder. There are no officially tested charge limits, but there is a point of diminishing returns where more powder doesn't get more velocity. Just more recoil and fouling. Until it all gets moving the unburned powder ahead of the ignited powder is treated as projectile weight, and it adds to the recoil. Too much powder just adds to the fireball at the muzzle. The old bedsheet story has been found to be false. The particles on the bed sheet were found to be mostly burnt charcoal and not unburned powder. If they were unburned powder , you should be able to scrape them up and ignite them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input gentleman.

One thing I was considering and hasn’t come up yet is the twist rate difference for PRB. If I remember correctly, the 45 is 1/66 and the 40 is 1/48.

I’ve heard that the 40 is a wonderfully accurate rifle. But wouldn’t it be limited in charge capacity for PRB? Is anyone shooting lead projectiles out of their 40?

I’m not experienced, that’s why I’m here. Thanks for the help.

My Kibler 45 caliber SMR has a Rice barrel with a 1:48 twist.

Prior to Kiblers SMR I had no experience building with swamped barrels.
When ordering an SMR I picked the .45 because it was the lightest barrel. I still can’t believe how light and balanced it is to handle.
My only experience with a .40 was great, I had to borrow a flint from a club member for our annual July 4th novelty shoot. That .40 was so good at cutting cards, toothpicks etc that I won. The fella who loaned me that .40 said “you’ll never borrow that gun again”. So I had a Kibler for the next year.
I hear sub- .40 cal can dirty up quick, some require wiping every shot.
All Kiblers are extremely accurate, caliber just depends on what you wanna do with it.
PS my .45 SMR has a Green Mountain 1/66, my .54 Colonial has a Rice bbl

If hunting deer size game was on the menu then I would go with a .45 no question. I was all set to order a .45 SMR the next day when a .36 popped up on the sale forum and the gent was somewhat local. I have been VERY happy with the .36 but I only shoot targets and maybe small game in the future. I like the .36 but do wish it was a .45 for the steel on our Woods Walk. I have shot the walk with my CVA Mountain Rifle .45 and done well but some of the hits were hard to tell. The .45 ball just does not swing the steel like larger calibers.

Latest posts

Back