• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Which Kibler?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased the smr in 40 for paper punching. Have a colonial in 58 for deer. One of our club members is waiting to shoot my smr before buying one in 45 for PA deer season.

Thanks for the input gentleman.

One thing I was considering and hasn’t come up yet is the twist rate difference for PRB. If I remember correctly, the 45 is 1/66 and the 40 is 1/48.

I’ve heard that the 40 is a wonderfully accurate rifle. But wouldn’t it be limited in charge capacity for PRB? Is anyone shooting lead projectiles out of their 40?

I’m not experienced, that’s why I’m here. Thanks for the help.

I've been shooting my .40 flintlock with Douglas barrel 1 in 48 twist for many years and it shoots very accurately out to 100 yds using 65 gr 3f powder. Shorter ranges I drop down to 45 or 55 gr 3f.

Actually, I’m almost 100% decided on the SMR, but which caliber. Primarily I’ll be using it for competitions but will hunt too. I hear the .40 is good. It’s the smallest caliber you can deer hunt with here in Alabama. Thanks for the help
Paul
I was at our local club, enjoying an afternoon of shooting flintlocks, member shows up shooting a Kibler .45 SMR….and he let me shoot it. 100 yards, I hit everything I shot at…very accurate, very fast ignition….way to light a gun for my tast. I’ll be getting a .40 caliber…a little more mass in my hands would be nice.

Easy, you need a .40 for targets and small game and a .54 for deer, problem solved... :)

I started with a custom made .45 in 1977, killed 25 or so deer with it...But, our farms in eastern NC started filling up with bears...I was considering a .50, until the day a bear walked up on me, I immediately decided I needed a .54!!!

So, I made a .54, took me 2 years, then rebarreled the .45 to a .40...Win, Win...

I have now killed at least 30 deer with the .54 and I much prefer it over the .45 for deer, mainly because we have swamps and cutovers so the tracking is easier...

Back