• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Which Kibler rifle and caliber?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Kibler Rifle?

• Colonial rifle .54

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Colonial rifle .58

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Southern Mountain rifle .36

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Southern Mountain rifle .40

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Southern Mountain rifle.45

Votes: 15 39.5%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I’m thinking about ordering a Kibler rifle but can’t decide on which style or caliber, I intend to deer and hog hunt with whichever gun I get. Which do you suggest and why?

I it really comes down to your personal taste in styling and caliber. The SMR in 45 would work out fine for your quarry, keeping your range under 50 yards or so. The SMR is lighter and sleeker then the Colonial. For hunting, while a couple of pounds heavier, I personally like the shorter length and near perfect balance of my my 58 cal Colonial. It’s very pleasant to shoot, and exceptionally accurate. For longer shots, and big hogs, I think the 58 or 54 would provide some additional margin.

I should note that the .36 would be used for squirrels, raccoons, etc. I really like the SMR but I’m leaning towards the colonial in .58 since I’m already set up for .58

.58 is the lightest Colonial as is the .45 SMR. Both are awesome. I’ve also owned a .36 SMR which is a very finely balanced varmint rifle. .40’s are flat shooting and make awesome target guns as well as Coyote rifles. I’d think application and the style that speaks to me and build my gun around that.

I think y’all have talked me into another .58. With the type of hunting I’ll be doing and the fact that I already have everything for the .58, I think it would be the best choice.

I don't own a Kibler, but I do own a .40 in Po Bye trim but of Pennsylvania architecture, a .45 in Golden Age livery, a .50 Golden Age, and a .54 Leman(early to mid 19th Century), and a smooth. 60 Colonial-esque Buck and Ball. While I love the small bores, a big bore rifle feels more appropriate for the widest range of applications. Makes a big clang on steel, can drop any game on the continent, and for really small game you just need a totally different gun. And the .58 Colonial really bridges the gap between Jager and Golden Age.

One day, when I have a gaping maw in my heart for another gun I will almost certainly get a Kibler because I haven't heard a single bad word about his products.

Hogs? .54 or .58 hands down. My .54 anchors southern white tail deer at close range well enough and I plan to try hog next month, but if you’re set up for .58 already I’d go that direction for convenience. I chose the .54 because I liked its recoil and ballistic characteristics for hunting past 50 yards.

My next rifle for small game or deer at close ranges will be a SMR in .45 caliber.

-Jake

Also relevant, should you decide to use this next rifle for whitetail deer, is whether your state has caliber restrictions. It would be a shame to pick a caliber that isn't legal where you plan on hunting. I know that hogs have no restrictions in most (all?) states, but some states do restrict caliber for deer.

Last edited:
Also relevant, should you decide to use this next rifle for whitetail deer, is whether your state has caliber restrictions. It would be a pick a caliber that isn't legal where you plan on hunting. I know that hogs have no restrictions in most (all?) states, but some states do restrict caliber for deer.

The way I understand it for Tennessee it’s .36 or larger for big game, however I don’t feel comfortable in my ability using .36 for big game, .40 is kinda on the fence for me as well.

I think the colonial comes in a 50, which is what I intend to order...once I diverse myself of some ..."unmentionables". I would actually like on in a .45 though, but it would probably be very heavy unless they revamped all the machining just to do the one caliber in a smaller barrel diameter.

I think the colonial comes in a 50, which is what I intend to order...once I diverse myself of some ..."unmentionables". I would actually like on in a .45 though, but it would probably be very heavy unless they revamped all the machining just to do the one caliber in a smaller barrel diameter.

I would be very interested in a .45 in the colonial kit if they made a smaller profile.

I have several unmentionable handguns that I'd like to find a new home for too to make room for a smaller caliber (ex. squirrel) flintlock. Would love to be doing that now, but honestly, I'm with you on determining what caliber I'd buy! Also, while I have assembled a Pendersoli pistol kit last winter that turned out fantastic, browning the barrel was the most challenging for me. I built a small humidity chamber out of a plastic box with lid, and that worked pretty well, but boy, it was a struggle to get the browning solution to stop rusting once I achieved the final color that I liked. The barrel is a little bumpy now too, which while unexpected, is still very nice to my eyes. I wonder how a guy without a full-on gun shop would brown a full-length rifle barrel, particularly in the winter when the humidity is low? That, plus funds and indecision about caliber are all holding me back.

IMG_20210417_105730.jpg

Because it looks so cool!

I chose the SMR in .45 over the Colonial because it's lighter in weight, and .45 caliber is a great caliber for Deer and small game. I don't hunt hogs so I don't have an opinion on that.

Very good reason to go that way. The only real reason I was focusing on the Colonial is it is more regional to me here in NY.

Absolutely, if I wanted a big hawg caliber I'd get the Colonial in .58. But I have great confidence in the .45 and wouldn't hesitate to make it my deer/hog rifle. Unless you are going for these 400 lb and up escaped farm hogs a .45 will serve. True razorbacks aren't like the fat porkers, they are lean, mean and and look the part. Plus, the "real deals" don't get to be "hogzillas".

Caliber is not so sure a killer as shot placement. Whatever you decide on, take it to the range and shoot. Shoot. Shoot. It can be daunting getting enough practice with your new rifle, because BP shooting is labor intensive compared to unmentionables.

Latest posts

Back