• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Kibler Kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've pretty much decided on a Woodsrunner in .50 cal, but without having handled or even seen any of Kibler rifles, it's more of a guess than a clear choice. My plans for the finished rifle include club matches and deer hunting in typically heavy cover. The main reason I chose the Woodsrunner is the 40" barrel. I like the light weight of the SMR (6.5 lbs in .45 cal), but I'm concerned that it's 44' barrel will be too awkward in the woods. I'd appreciate any advice or opinions.

I chose the Woodsrunner, and I got to handle it a bit at the open house. It feels quite a bit lighter than the Colonial. The shorter barrel is part of my choice, as is the interesting design. However, for deep thick cover I might choose an even shorter barrel. Currently Kibler doesn’t offer a shorter barrel though.

I keep looking at Kibler's but haven't jumped in. I like the precision pre-finishing of wood and steel. My ideal rifle would be a Jacob Dickert. Kibler's beautiful Colonial is the closest to a Dickert, but has no set trigger, and without a fly, the Colonial lock won't work with set triggers.

The Kibler kits seem to be the most approachable for a first time builder, so I've limited myself to the few options they offer. My grandfather was a luthier, so I have his chisels and workbench and a lifetime ago I aprenticed as a goldsmith, so I have those tools still, and proably above average woodworking skills.

The SMR has double set triggers.

I keep looking at Kibler's but haven't jumped in. I like the precision pre-finishing of wood and steel. My ideal rifle would be a Jacob Dickert. Kibler's beautiful Colonial is the closest to a Dickert, but has no set trigger, and without a fly, the Colonial lock won't work with set triggers.
Yes, the colonial lock does have a fly. Some previous discussions about this. Builders have installed set triggers on them. Our sister sight Longrifles.com has some discussion on this. Perhaps here as well?

I've pretty much decided on a Woodsrunner in .50 cal, but without having handled or even seen any of Kibler rifles, it's more of a guess than a clear choice. My plans for the finished rifle include club matches and deer hunting in typically heavy cover. The main reason I chose the Woodsrunner is the 40" barrel. I like the light weight of the SMR (6.5 lbs in .45 cal), but I'm concerned that it's 44' barrel will be too awkward in the woods. I'd appreciate any advice or opinions.
My 1st Kibler build was a .50 cal. Colonial. Personally, I didn't like the way it felt or shot. I sold it and bought a .45 cal. So. Mtn. This rifle handles and shoots like a dream. I live in Northwest Pa. The longer barrel's not an issue. I haven't seen a Woodsrunner yet, but I have one on order in .50 cal.
IMG_4784.JPG

My 1st Kibler build was a .50 cal. Colonial. Personally, I didn't like the way it felt or shot. I sold it and bought a .45 cal. So. Mtn. This rifle handles and shoots like a dream. I live in Northwest Pa. The longer barrel's not an issue. I haven't seen a Woodsrunner yet, but I have one on order in .50 cal.
View attachment 183608
I am a fan of the blonde finish on your stock, is that the standard maple or which wood?

Good choice, but go with a .54 instead of a .50...

The colonial is a rather heavy rifle but balances well. It has a very beefy buttstock. The SMR is a more slender rifle but very long. I plan to shave down the woodsrunner a little bit, and the shorter barrel length in .54 should make for a fantastic handling rifle. I'm starting a Lancaster that will have a 36" .45 straight barrel and I expect it will be very light and agile. I'd go with a Woodsrunner for the finest quality kit anywhere with a barrel in .54 that is more "hole" and less metal.

Before you decide you might want to check out certain dimensions of the stock, like drop at heel, etc. to see what might fit you best. Love my Kibler SMR, but for me it could stand more drop at the comb to come up right. Probably comes up perfectly for others...we're all built a little differently.

I live were woods can be pretty thick. Barrels up to 46" haven't been an issue. To me balance is far more important.

The colonial is a rather heavy rifle but balances well. It has a very beefy buttstock. The SMR is a more slender rifle but very long. I plan to shave down the woodsrunner a little bit, and the shorter barrel length in .54 should make for a fantastic handling rifle. I'm starting a Lancaster that will have a 36" .45 straight barrel and I expect it will be very light and agile. I'd go with a Woodsrunner for the finest quality kit anywhere with a barrel in .54 that is more "hole" and less metal.
My Woodsrunner is .54. When I test assembled it and shouldered it I was impressed with the balance and the fit. I think this is going to be a winner!

My Kibler Colonial was initially purchased a couple of years ago with a 50 cal barrel. While it shot very well and fit me perfectly, for my medium build(and advanced age) it was too front heavy…difficult for me to shoot well off-hand. I purchased the 58 cal barrel. It took less then an hour and a half to fit and finish the new barrel. Hats off to a Jim’s machining precision! The rifle is now perfectly balanced, and about a pound less in total weight at 8.1 pounds. A dream to shoot! I was a bit reticent about the larger 58 cal, but except for needing a bit more lead and powder, recoil is barely distinguishable from my 50/54 cals, accuracy equivalent(actually a bit better), and, with a 50 yard zero, it drops only an inch more at 100 yards(1400FPS/MV)…….Bonus….It sure puts deer down fast!
I’ve been seriously eyeballing the Woodsrunner, but it’s quite similar in design/weight to my Jack Hubbard, Early Virginia rifle.

Don’t have a Kibler but hunted with a 50 cal Hatfield that has a 39” barrel in Pennsylvania. Depending on the woods you have to make adjustments to the way you carry it but if the rifle fits you and shoots well it should not be an issue.

My Kibler Colonial was initially purchased a couple of years ago with a 50 cal barrel. While it shot very well and fit me perfectly, for my medium build(and advanced age) it was too front heavy…difficult for me to shoot well off-hand. I purchased the 58 cal barrel. It took less then an hour and a half to fit and finish the new barrel. Hats off to a Jim’s machining precision! The rifle is now perfectly balanced, and about a pound less in total weight at 8.1 pounds. A dream to shoot! I was a bit reticent about the larger 58 cal, but except for needing a bit more lead and powder, recoil is barely distinguishable from my 50/54 cals, accuracy equivalent(actually a bit better), and, with a 50 yard zero, it drops only an inch more at 100 yards(1400FPS/MV)…….Bonus….It sure puts deer down fast!
I’ve been seriously eyeballing the Woodsrunner, but it’s quite similar in design/weight to my Jack Hubbard, Early Virginia rifle.
What is the price of a Kibler replacement barrel? I was thinking of asking for a .58 cal. smooth barrel for my Colonial.

Back