• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which is the better rifle type ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To have Mr. Hoyt open up a bore to 58 caliber will cost about $150 plus what it costs for you to get it to him. Currently have a couple one inch TC barrels (one each flint and percussion) he rebored to 58 caliber with 1-60 radius rifling. They are two of my best shooters.

But at $850, agree with @Artificer, the asking price is more than a bit high for a Renegade, even with a Hoyt rebore, although I haven’t purchased one lately, and prices are going crazy…. Suggest you look around more. Maybe place a wanted ad in the forum classified.
This. ^^^
The going rate on Gunbroker for a 50/54 cal. Renegade in very good condition is +/- $400. Add in a rebore by Mr Hoyt and you are quite a bit under $850.

This. ^^^
The going rate on Gunbroker for a 50/54 cal. Renegade in very good condition is +/- $400. Add in a rebore by Mr Hoyt and you are quite a bit under $850.
Find a barrel with a bore in sewer pipe condition to rebore. Makes no sense to rebore a barrel on a gun ‘in very good condition’ just to do it. Then you will have an extra barrel to keep or sell.

Any caliber from .45 (my favorite) to .50 or .54 is plenty for deer. Don't buy one you can't handle and examine first. The main thing is that it fits YOU and handles well.

I shouldered all the flintlock rifles and the Renegade just didn't seem right, it seemed to short for me as I am tall with long arms. None of the Long Rifles were in a condition that matched their prices. I then got stuck between the Pedersoli Target Jaeger and the 1792. The Jaeger had "modern" looking target sights on it and they were removable but I decided against it and finally went with 1792 Contract Rifle. It sparks nicely and it is perfectly balanced. I will begin working with different loads to get the most out of it. Thank you to all who gave some of their time on this thread.

I shouldered all the flintlock rifles and the Renegade just didn't seem right, it seemed to short for me as I am tall with long arms. None of the Long Rifles were in a condition that matched their prices. I then got stuck between the Pedersoli Target Jaeger and the 1792. The Jaeger had "modern" looking target sights on it and they were removable but I decided against it and finally went with 1792 Contract Rifle. It sparks nicely and it is perfectly balanced. I will begin working with different loads to get the most out of it. Thank you to all who gave some of their time on this thread.
Glad to see you found a rifle, the 1792 is a cool rifle and one of these days I will make one for myself but right now I like my Bess too much. Where are you at in Maryland ? I am out on the Shore about 9 miles from Centerville. If you ever need a place to shoot PM me and I will give you my phone number. I have a 220 acre farm with a dedicated range where me and my buddies go to get some target practice in.

. I then got stuck between the Pedersoli Target Jaeger and the 1792. The Jaeger had "modern" looking target sights on it and they were removable but I decided against it and finally went with 1792 Contract Rifle. It sparks nicely and it is perfectly balanced.

Yeah from what you've written I think you've got "the pick of the litter" as the saying goes.
The Renegade was about $300 too high, maybe more (imho)
The Pedersoli Target has a slow twist which is nice, but to use or not to use the peep sight is a factor. On the other hand so of us need a peep sight these days.

OH I forgot, the "better" rifle type is the one that a) shoots straight and b) you find to be fun to shoot. ;)

LD

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back