• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which caliber .50 or .54 percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Splinters for the feedback on the GPR..... hope to have the cash together soon to pick the one up I have a deposit on. :thumbsup:

Mad Mucus your welcome. You're in for a real treat. The only issue I had was losing the front wedge key. I don't know how that happened but I see I can get another from TOTW. It was a small price to pay for the fun I had today. :grin:

< :grin: just won auction on GB for a used leftie gpr .50 and it HAS A (lyman)PEEP installed! Will be $320.00 with shipping. If it's in the shape described and per pics I will have done OK, may need to touch up or re-blue(brown) the barrel.

I plan to get it sighted in, get a .54, .58 and the .36 and .32 sighted in and "cull the herd". Since I got Dutches system I have determined I have too many to try to get "accurized" and will use the funds for a nice smoothie.

Splinters,
For the Lyman 57 Tang sight you should find a hole drilled in the tang itself which is for the rear screw of the tang sight.
Get that and a Lyman companion Globe front sight and you'll find shooting an additional lea sure..

Glad your first day was a success for you.

Dutch

On yourNew Used rifle, let normal handling produce the brown on the barrel.
Select one rifle and work with that till you get it where you want not, THEN move on to the next. It will get easier as you move along through your growing collection.
Write down what you have found best for each rifle so you don't get confused later on.
Select a different colored patching material for each rifle so THAT doesn't get mixed up..

Dutch

"Lyman Great Plains rifles made before April 1997 will require drilling and tapping an 8-32 hole. Lyman Great Plains rifles made after April 1997 will have a factory drilled and tapped hole."

"I would like to know how I find the manufacture date for my new GPR. I do have a 8-32 drill and tap but hopefully my GPR is an after April 1997."

Why not inspect the rifle and look, won't that answer your question?

Thanks for that Dutch. The Lyman #57 tang sight has been ordered along with their #17 Globe front sight. :thumbsup:

More on Saturday’s sight-in all done at 25 yards on a large target for the initial adjustments. Then the last two shots were made at the target in the following photo.

My load data for all these rounds for those who maybe interested is as follows;

Powder: 50gr by volume of Goex double f

Patch: Store bought pre-lubed marked for .54 caliber & .015 thickness, which by my compressed measure was .0125

Ball: .530 cast

After the initial sight-in my shooting partner put up a smaller target and said "Lets see what you can do with that now." The first shot was to the left and could have been a flyer but I think it was me holding a little left. The second shot, well it speaks for itself. My shooting partner had a big smile, went out and pulled the target down telling me save it. I fell in love with that GPR right there. :grin: Folks, I don't have to tell you all but this ML gets in the blood real fast.

Dutch I think I can start putting you System to serious use now and I thank you for making it available. Time to start reading through a second time now. Many, many thanks.

That was not off hand (I wish) that was off the bench.

Thanks for the URL. Handy to have. The table goes up to the symbol CD for a manufacture year of 2009. The boxed manufacture code on my barrel is CL so I will assume that it was manufactured sometime after 2009.

Thanks again. I always find such information useful and interesting.

P.S. I'll send Lyman the serial number and maybe they can tell me from that.

Got a quick response from Lyman that my GPR was manufactured in April or May of 2013. Nice folks there and have been very responsive to my inquiry's through their e-mail ticket system.

My new Lyman .54 caliber Great Plains Rifle took us to our first BP Metallic Silhouette shoot Saturday. That GPR is a real sweetheart and a pleasure to shoot.

I was pleased with the way I was shooting but you could have knocked me over with a feather at the end of the match when the director announced that there was a three way tie for first and I was one of the trio. We then proceeded with a shoot-off and I managed a second place. That GPR received a loving cleaning when we returned home. Even got away with cleaning it in the kitchen. :grin:

I want to thank all here for the things I’ve learned about muzzle loading and two of the gents here who are a direct big part of that, Dutch and Snakebite. Locally a fellow named John has taken me under his wing and has become a coach, and shooting partner. He ain’t shabby at hitting the mark either.

Here are some details about my load components during the match for any who may be interested.
The BP used was Goex F2 at 50 gr. by volume for the 25, 50, and 75 yard silhouettes and then 70 gr. for the 100 and 125 yard targets. The RB was cast .535 with .0125 cut patches. (Dutch, I'm getting partial to those .535 RB. :thumbsup: )

It was a fun group to shoot with filled with humor and encouragement.

swathdiver said:
Thanks for sharing these stories, it's chock full of information which I really appreciate. :hatsoff:

You're very welcome.

Welcome to a great way to make smoke, splinter. I too love my .54 cal (Thompson Center).. I'm kinda surprised no one talking up or down Ballistol I use it as a lube for my wally world bought ticking.. and in fact use it for many things around the house, too!! You've landed amongst a great group of shooters here and anywhere BP is spoken.

Thanks for that. Yes, Ballistol is in my range bag and on the bench. Introduced a friend to it a couple of weeks ago as he had not heard of it. Dutch sent a wake-up call to me as I had not heard of it before either.

Attended another Traditional Muzzleloader shoot yesterday and the GPR an I are getting better acquainted with each event. Getting close to 200 rounds through the tube and believe it is getting more accurate with each outing.

Did loose another key wedge, rear one this time. Have a spare that I will ding a "V" into it to try an get a little more friction fit without stressing the fore are and barrel. Would like to hear any thoughts on this.
At the end of the shoot a gent asked if he could try the GPR at a target set at 100 yards that we all missed during the competition and hit it in the heart. He smiled as he handed that sweetie back to me and said "Do you want to sell it?"

Fun!

Splinters said:
Did loose another key wedge, rear one this time. Have a spare that I will ding a "V" into it to try an get a little more friction fit without stressing the fore are and barrel. Would like to hear any thoughts on this.

I just followed Lyman's instructions. Never lost another. Not even an issue. Check your owner's manual for guidance.

Good idea. When all else fails read the manual. :hatsoff:

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back