• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which caliber .50 or .54 percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, what's the bet? 6 silly posts; more; less...before we get back on topic!! :haha:

Thanks Semisane. I know just the gent to call as his Co. put a new roof on the house last summer and going to have him do the shop this summer. :v

P.S. Where's the scatter gun..... there's a wildcat loose in the treasury this morning! :shocked2:

You have gotten a lot of good advice on your new rifle but I don't recollect seeing that anyone suggested that you get a Nipple Wrench and a Patch Knife.
Only those shooting percussion rifles who will NEVER load without powder can be happy without a Nipple Wrench.
If there is the slightest possibility that you just might forget to add the powder, not having a nipple wrench will cause great sadness in your shooting experience.
If you don't own a very sharp small knife, getting a patch knife is somewhat important.

Dutch

All my ML rifles are .54, 2 PRB and one fast twist. I went that way for ease of keeping things organized and I like being different than the "norm". The issue with shooting anything other than a .50 cal is availability of components at some local stores. Since a vast majority of non-sidelock guns are .50 some stores just don't carry anything else mostly due to limited in-store shelf space and that is what sells. So, unless you will be pouring your own balls be prepared to shop on-line.

Truth be told, either one will serve you well. The difference in cost will be negligible. One thing that may steer you toward a .50 is the ready availability of .50 balls. The .54 balls are not quite as readily available as the .50s. However, if you really get the muzzleloading bug, you will soon be casting your own balls and then it will make no difference which caliber you own. I own both calibers and I shoot both in matches. Both will ring a gong and knock down steel silhouettes readily with a patched round ball. So, I'd say whichever caliber you can find, pick the best quality gun and you will be off to the races....so to speak. Oh, one caveat....don't buy a flintlock if you can't find a source for real black powder. A flintlock will not work with any of the substitutes. It absolutely requires real black powder. A caplock will easily shoot either the real black powder or any of the substitutes. Just something to keep in mind. All things being equal, I like a flintlock better than a caplock. Just because they are more fun to shoot. A good caplock or a good flintlock will both cut the Xs for you.

Hello Dutch,
Interesting that I just now read your post. Have just come offline from one of the popular web stores after ordering a ramrod, tips for the rod, a nipple wrench, another nipple for a spare, and last but not least one patch knife. :thumbsup: I was there yesterday and ordered a couple of tins of Trapper's Mink Oil tallow for patch lubricant.

Stopped by a Wally World today and visited the fabric department looking for pillow ticking for patches. The lady was to young I guess because I had to explain to her what it was. :wink: Anyway none there. I'll discuss this with my wife tonight as she will probably know of a likely fabric shop that may have some as quilting and sewing is one of her hobbies and I know she pokes around these places when ever she gets a chance.

Now for some outstanding news. When I returned home from a gun club meeting last night I had an e-mail from the vendor that I purchased the Great Plains .54 Rifle from that it had been shipped. Just checked the carrier and they estimate delivery tomorrow. Think I'll be hanging around the old cabin tomorrow just in case :grin:

Thanks for passing more information about support equipment. Great help and from a number of you good folks.

I have been burning the midnight oil every night trying to get as much reading and study in as I can so I know which end of that pony eats the grass. :wink:

Also, learned last night, that there will be a Spring Muzzleloader Extended Weekend this coming weekend at another club about an hour from here so I plan on making at least one day there to watch, listen and learn what I can. I'm looking forward to letting some of those folks I've heard will be there that I will be joining them in earnest soon. Enough for now. :yakyak: Can you tell I'm enjoying myself.

Walks with fire said:
I have had .50's for years and not long ago I got a .54 Lyman Deerstalker and it is quite accurate I like the .54 much better than a .50 and I think it holds it accuracy better at the 100 yard targets than a .50 does. My opinion is .54

My Indian name is "Runs With Beer", LOL. I have both, a .54 and a .50, and I shoot the .50 more than the .54, probably because the .50 is percussion, and I built it my self, and the .54 is a flint lock. I really like the .54, and that is what I would choose for long distance steel. For deer, it doesn't make seem to make much difference, most are DRT, after the shot....Robin :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ann called a shop in Onalaska this evening and they had pillow tick in stock. I forgot to take the mic so chose two pieces of what I though would be in the ball park of .015 to .018 inches thick.

The first picture shows the piece from a mill in China that was .018" thick......

IMG_1695c.jpg

and the last photo is a piece from a mill in India .022" thick. :td:

IMG_1698b.jpg

They have two other bolts there that I guessed were to thin but back I go in the next day or two with the mic in hand this time to see if we get down to about .015".

I'll wash the current two pieces in the mean time
and remove the sizing. The .018 piece sure maybe a keeper for patches. I'll do a live test when I get to the range.

P.S. The main reason I posted these photos was to learn the procedure for including pictures in a post.

I started looking at the load data in the Lyman BP book last night on 54 Cal 32" barrel 1-60" twist and noticed that they had data using a .535 ball with a .015" patch. Unless I missed the data in the book somewhere I was a little surprised that they didn't include data for the .530 RB. :confused:

Update: The FedEx gent just delivered the ML. I quickly surveyed the container which looks sound and without abuse. :thumbsup: Now, for the innards. Fun! Time for a little Walter Houston Sierra Nevada jig. :haha:

congrats on the delivery of your rifle, I am sure it will serve you well
:thumbsup:

edit to add: I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet but you are going to have to put a hundred or more bullets through it before it settles in so to speak. Or you can lap the barrel but that is work, whereas shooting is shooting.

Congrats on your choice of a GPR in a 54 cal. That was my first rifle. The load mine liked was .018 patch ( pillow ticking) 70 grains of Goex fff and a 530 round ball. Hornady was my choice..it was tack driver. I shot literally thousands of rounds through it. I've since retired it...Good Luck and hope yours is as accurate as mine was/is!

Thanks Cynthialee. I'm with you on firing the rounds and not lapping the barrel to take the edge off those new lands.

Hello S.kenton and thanks for the data and the encouragement. I do have Hornady .530 and .535 RB on the way and the .018 pillow ticking is in hand. I do want some .015 pillow ticking on hand to so when that barrel starts breaking in we can get down to the serious business of seeing just what she favors. :wink:

Thanks for putting me on to Dutch Schoultz and his method. The documents arrived last Saturday and what a bargain they are. I've already needed to undo some of my thinking. :hmm: What grand information to study and anyone who does not have Dutch's method in hand should give it serious thought to remedy that. I've also come to love Dutch's humor. Anyway, a great read and study. I have the documents in a binder that I can take with me to the range when I get to get started with the muzzleloader. I'll be reading through his methods a good number of times I think.

I also ordered Dutch's system and am anxious to receive it. He put it in the mail the same day I put the check in the mail :)
David

Great David. You're going to enjoy it. Dutch doesn't let any grass grow under his feet. :wink:

You can shoot a .530 ball out of a .54 caliber barrel quite successfully.
I have always thought that a .535 ball would be better because you can reply more on the lead getting into the grooves and with slightly less reliance on the less sturdy fabric of the patch material,

I used .445 balls in my .45 Hawken replies and T/C Hawken .

Dutch

Thanks Dutch.

I'm thinking of installing a Lyman No. 57 Receiver Peep Sight for the GPR and see the following comment on TOTW.

"Lyman Great Plains rifles made before April 1997 will require drilling and tapping an 8-32 hole. Lyman Great Plains rifles made after April 1997 will have a factory drilled and tapped hole."

I would like to know how I find the manufacture date for my new GPR. I do have a 8-32 drill and tap but hopefully my GPR is an after April 1997.

I did have a chance to take the rifle to the range to day and begin the sight-in process and at this point I am very please with the groups.
More on the experience later. I had a grand time and I'm happily wore out. :thumbsup:

A friend that joined me who has a good number of years with ML was tickled and thinks I have a real keeper. :grin:

Back