• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Black Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BallsOnFire

32 Cal
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum to ask. I just bought my first black powder revolver, an 1858 Remington replica by Uberti. What black powder should I be using? I have Pyrodex pellets, wads, and balls from Midway but can't find regular granulated black powder and if/when I do I am not sure what type to buy. Suggestions please, thanks.

PS Today, I just found/bought several hundred percussion caps, so getting closer to getting all the stuff necessary to make this gun go BANG. :D

Midway USA has Goex 3f powder in stock now. 2 pound limit.

Yes they do..., at $34.76 per pound when all fees and charges are included. o_O

That's why I buy 10 lbs. at a time from Graf's, and the price is $24.44 per pound including all fees and charges. ;)
Graf's 3Fg GOEX

LD

Not sure what you bought for caps but all the revolvers I had used the #10 caps. If you bought #11 caps they'll be too big for the nipples.
I bought both because I have seen people say my 1858 Uberti replica uses #11's and others say #10's are the ticket. I thought I better buy both since I could get my hands on them. Looking at them side by side on my desk the #10's look to be just a hair taller than the 11"s. I will test them to see how they fit. :ThankYou:

I thought the 11's would be too big for the nipples on my 1848 Pietta Remington, but they fit snugly. Glad they did as that was the only size I could find. I did have to snug them down with a well placed thumb.

Probably depends on what nipples are use. I remember the Treso nipples and Rem 10 caps were a perfect match in my revolvers. I used Colt 1860's in CAS shooting. A ton of fun.

Hey Thanks. 3FFF, got it.......and hope to find it somewhere. :)
While your looking for real black powder, here's a few things to remember.

It's against the Federal law for a dealer to sit real black powder out on a shelf with the other powders. Federal regulations require the black powder to be kept in a locked, approved storage unit. Put another way, you won't see any kind of real black powder on a shelf.

Because real black powder must be locked up, many times the sales clerk at a gun store won't even know they have it for sale. If you go into the store or phone them, always ask to speak to the owner or the store manager. They will know if they have it.

Some sales clerks think all powder is black and they may try to sell you some smokeless powder. Smokeless powder will make your gun blow up so, never use it in a muzzle loader or a cap & ball pistol.

Pyrodex and Triple7 will work fine in your pistol. Loose granules is the best way to go because it allows you to adjust the powder load for the best accuracy.
You will need to measure it so you will need an adjustable powder measure. If you can find some fired cartridge brass at the range, this link will give you the amount of powder one of those spent shell casings will hold.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/black-powder-measures-from-cartridges.58311/

Back