• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Which antique colt percussion to buy.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtblackdog

32 Cal
Reaction score
Im looking to buy an original colt percussion pistol for my dads 75 birthday. Want a 44. Hes always wanted one. He is still more than capable with that caliber. Got about $2000 to spend. Most of the local guys say the 1860 army is probably best bet for that money. Any thoughts? What to look for? What to watch out fir?

Colt 1860 Army, there are plenty out there which your dad could still fire

Just look for a good bore, good finish, working action, and matching serial numbers is a bonus

my own was made in 1861 and I still fire it regularly, albeit with light loads (e.g. ~15 grains of FFFg), which is sufficient to ring my steel targets... you notice minimal recoil in my video below

Last edited:
$2000 should buy a nice 1860 Army

Does it have to be a Gen 1. Or will a Gen 2 that you could actually shoot a lot be sufficient? Or maybe get both.

I'd hate to put the Duty of regular shooting of 100s and 100s of rounds on an aging original

$2000 should buy a nice 1860 Army

Does it have to be a Gen 1. Or will a Gen 2 that you could actually shoot a lot be sufficient? Or maybe get both.

I'd hate to put the Duty of regular shooting of 100s and 100s of rounds on an aging original
I really doubt he will shoot it alot. More of like a little here and there.

Latest posts

Back