• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which .36 cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was just at local Cabelas and they had 3 box of .36 cal balls. I grabbed 2 of them. Which .36 cal (.375) is this for? Cap and ball pistol or .36 cal muzzle loading rifle.
What size of ball and patch should my mom's. 36 cal Senica take?
If this is for pistol I have to get me a .36 cal pistol. Maybe a 1862 police and cut the barrel to 4 and 5/8 inch.

.375 dia ball is used a .36 cal revolver. The excess gets "cut" off as you load the ball into the cylinder. This provides a "seal".
I use .350 dia ball in my .36 cal flintlock squirrel rifle with a .015 lubed patch.

Good luck, shoot straight and God bless,
Rodd

Pistole. For a 36cal rifle you’d use a .350 ball.

Was just at local Cabelas and they had 3 box of .36 cal balls. I grabbed 2 of them. Which .36 cal (.375) is this for? Cap and ball pistol or .36 cal muzzle loading rifle.
What size of ball and patch should my mom's. 36 cal Senica take?
If this is for pistol I have to get me a .36 cal pistol. Maybe a 1862 police and cut the barrel to 4 and 5/8 inch.
Unless you are a skilled metalworker with some machinist skills, shortening a barrel on a percussion revolver is not an easy task by any means.
Surprisingly, altering the loading lever may be the most difficult part.

Thanks for the advise. I'm am no gun Smith but I do have a one year certificate in machine tool technology (tool and die maker with some CNC programming) which don't mean I will do it perfect but I should be able to get it square.
Life is weird. I have a two year Associated in mechanics. I have a one year certificate in machine tool technology and a few semesters in maintenance school but I turned out to be a flatbed truck driver. Flatbed truck driver is a good life though so no complaints here.

Thanks for the advise. I'm am no gun Smith but I do have a one year certificate in machine tool technology (tool and die maker with some CNC programming) which don't mean I will do it perfect but I should be able to get it square.
Life is weird. I have a two year Associated in mechanics. I have a one year certificate in machine tool technology and a few semesters in maintenance school but I turned out to be a flatbed truck driver. Flatbed truck driver is a good life though so no complaints here.

A round barrel may be a bit more of a challenge but, I shortened an 1851 Navy barrel with a hacksaw then trued it up with a fine-cut mill file. A tri-square was the only other fancy equipment used.

A round barrel may be a bit more of a challenge but, I shortened an 1851 Navy barrel with a hacksaw then trued it up with a fine-cut mill file. A tri-square was the only other fancy equipment used.
I watched Dulist1954 video on one of his gun builds and it looks fun and something worth trying. If all fails I can cut it down to 4 inches and try again,,,,, and then 3 and 3/4, then 3.5 then 3 and 1/4. I hear barrels are over rated anyway.

Latest posts

Back