where's Mike brooks tutorial?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Support' started by fort fireman, Jul 8, 2012.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 14, 2012 #81

ApprenticeBuilder

ApprenticeBuilder

ApprenticeBuilder

58 Cal.

It is unfortunate, see it all the time individual joins the forums spends the next year or so racking up a 3k plus post count and then suddenly that poster is an "ol' sage" full o wisdom.

Then starts influencing newer members that listen because the post count must equal knowledge.

It gets ridiculous, I typically don't have alot of paitence for them, if you notice there are several of the more knowledgable individuals that are frequenting these forums less and less.

After a while it becomes obvious that the horse has no interest in the water so whats the point of trying to lead it.

2. Jul 14, 2012 #82

gizamo

gizamo

gizamo

45 Cal.

Tom,...

Pretty much agree.

I never learned a single thing, when I was the only one doing all the talkin'...

Giz

3. Jul 14, 2012 #83

jdkerstetter

jdkerstetter

jdkerstetter

69 Cal.

.....or sometimes you just feel like the horse....:dead:

Enjoy, J.D.

4. Jul 14, 2012 #84

ApprenticeBuilder

ApprenticeBuilder

ApprenticeBuilder

58 Cal.

Yes, well, there is that..........

5. Jul 16, 2012 #85

Va.Manuf.06

Va.Manuf.06

Va.Manuf.06

58 Cal.

Stumpy, I have to agree with you if Mike initiated a personal attack. If that is the case than there are others (one in particular) that have made personal attacks on Mike that seem to go unnoticed. After all, as you said, Rules Are Rules and, at least in theory, should be equally enforced.

As far as my own "backhanded insult" that you mention, I am not sure that I would call it that (I did edit it myself) but the moderators and site owner are the ones that make that decision as is proper. I will try to avoid doing it again in the future but the one to whom I referred is much more guilty of attacks and personal insult than Mike and his knowledge is extremely limited, certainly less than Mike's. If I have offended and am borderline guilty than I will try to do better. My apologies to the owner and moderators; being a moderator elsewhere myself, I fully understand but I hope to see the rules equally enforced.

6. Jul 17, 2012 #86

Old40Rod

Old40Rod

Old40Rod

45 Cal.

Claude's house, Claude's rules apply, whether I agree with them or not. Its not up to me or anyone else to question his calls or judgment on the rules in his house.

Mr. Brooks has answered many of my questions on building posted on the forum over the last few years, much to my great advantage and appreciation. Humans are humans, and mistakes and missteps are part of life. I sincerely hope he is allowed to return... and if he was blocked due to a forum rule violation (as I assume from prior posts), I hope that on his return he walks within the path of the rules for everyone's benefit... its really not that difficult :v

7. Jul 18, 2012 #87

gizamo

gizamo

gizamo

45 Cal.

I too, wish to see the rules equally enforced...good policy.

I doubt Mike will return.... Why should he? He has been poorly used by a handful of regulars that seek out his posts and take cheap shots...in a manner that questions his personality, not his gun knowledge. The assault is pretty constant.

They are posting in this thread, still pulling the same old BS.

So, where is the equity for his detractors ?

Again, why should he return for more of the same treatment?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2018
  8. Jul 19, 2012 #88

Keb

Keb

Keb

50 Cal.

It's all about the money, Reno.

9. Jul 19, 2012 #89

Va.Manuf.06

Va.Manuf.06

Va.Manuf.06

58 Cal.

:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2018
  10. Jul 19, 2012 #90

Tumblernotch

Tumblernotch

Tumblernotch

69 Cal.

I don’t like to get involved in such threads, but since I’ve been gone for a week I see that some good posts have been made concerning Mike’s absence as well as his tutorial. I don’t know Mike personally and don’t have any personal interest in whether or not he is here or elsewhere. But, from what I’ve read in his posts and seen of his work, both here and on his own website, it is obvious that he “knoweth of that which he speaks”. It is very obvious that he knows much more than most of the posting members here, especially those who seem to like to denigrate everything he says. So what if he gets a little short and maybe seems to be a little condescending in some of his replies? He’s probably tired of hearing the same old crap over and over again from people who have no idea what they’re talking about. Some of us have been shooting and/or building guns for years and know a little about it. Certainly no one knows every little thing about all aspects, but Mike has built up a pretty good knowledge about the periods, types and schools that he builds. Though I’m familiar with several schools and know a little bit of the detail found in a few, I fall woefully short of the knowledge of them that Mike and a couple of other guys on here have, and I’ve been fooling with these things for nearly 40 years.
    I’ve known several topnotch gunbuilders and barrel makers in my time and have talked to people who knew some of those who have gone on before and I can tell you that like any artist or other professional who takes pride in their work, in them you’re going to see a vein of occasional irascibility and shortness and that when confronted with obvious stupidity or when someone is slow to see what is/was obvious. Two who quickly come to mind were Hacker Martin and Bill Large (who I knew). I can think of others still living. I’ve seen a lot of this on here. It seems that a newbie or maybe the occasional shooter who shoots an off the shelf gun can spend a year or two on here and become an expert. True, there is enough information here to greatly increase one’s knowledge, but true knowledge comes from field experience whether in shooting or building. And it seems to me that some of those who want to tear down a builder or other poster who has something to share after years of experience spend an inordinate amount of time on here and couldn’t possibly be spending enough time in the field shooting or in the shop building to become expert in either. Personally, I’m finding myself visiting this site less and less because of this. Sure, we’re not always going to agree on everything, but over the last couple of years and especially the last few months it has really gotten ridiculous. Starting to look like a bunch of teenage girls.
    And before I get flamed about my statement about shooting off the shelf guns, let me say that we’ve all started out with one and that I still have a couple of off the shelf military pieces. There’s nothing wrong with using them. But there is no comparison between them and a well built custom and until one tries their hand at building one, they need to be careful of what they say about the prices a pro charges to build them one.
    So, there.

11. Jul 19, 2012 #91

gizamo

gizamo

gizamo

45 Cal.

:hatsoff:
    :thumbsup:

Emailed Mike, he is not coming back.

Chalk one up to His fan club of amazing Interweb Muzzleloadin' Mall Ninja's Experts... If you combined their knowledge....

I would refer to them as a bunch of losers...but that isn't true.

Truth is, it is the rest of us that lost out...due to their forcing Mike into a untenable situation....

Hope they are proud...

12. Jul 20, 2012 #92

So the Redundant Orb and his TVM Minions have diluted the site some more, with their attacks of one of the best builders out there. Claude needs to change the Banner to Read "Keeping the TVM Tradition alive" or "Historical distortion by TVM" I'm gone as well, as I don't care to be accused of being drunk, and attacking, when I have not. Good luck Claude with the take over of your Forum. Please remove me from the membership role.

Bill

13. Jul 20, 2012 #93

Supercracker

Supercracker

Supercracker

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

Normally I would automatically assume that your post being "in response to" me, was just an accident of clicking, and I hope it was. However, considering that my one and only post here is fully 3 pages back I'm inclined to think not.

When did I ever say that? I think you have me mixed up with someone else.

Or was it truly just random....from 3 pages back. lol

14. Jul 20, 2012 #94

Va.Manuf.06

Va.Manuf.06

Va.Manuf.06

58 Cal.

Read it carefully, Bill was not referring to you Supercracker, the reference was to a talkative "Canon" firing a round ball.

It is possible that Bill will not be the only one taking this action. A shame really.

15. Jul 20, 2012 #95

Supercracker

Supercracker

Supercracker

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

I thought the orb comment could've been a fat joke...................which, sadly, would also apply to me. lol

16. Jul 20, 2012 #96

Va.Manuf.06

Va.Manuf.06

Va.Manuf.06

58 Cal.

Well said a a real shame that this happened.

I'm sure they are.

17. Jul 20, 2012 #97

Tatonka

Tatonka

Tatonka

36 Cal.

Well, bye.

18. Jul 20, 2012 #98

Keb

Keb

Keb

50 Cal.

I'm sorry to see him go. He was always a fun read.
    I guess I can't say it's unexpected though. Hey, It's only a web site with a bunch of strangers all posting opinions anyway. There is a real world out there beyond this screen. Get out and enjoy it more often and don't take this stuff so serious.
    Yer pal, Keb

19. Jul 20, 2012 #99

Rogue River

Rogue River

Rogue River

45 Cal.

You can go to your home page and remove yourself if you so wish! Just edit your info out!

20. Jul 21, 2012 #100

spinner1

spinner1

spinner1

40 Cal.

Tom: That's a great observation and I'm sure a lot of others agree. I've seen it on this as well as the ALR forum where a guy will ask a bunch of basic questions that he could have looked up himself, posts "nice gun" comments and racks up a lot of posts to become a "hero member". He then starts giving advice.

Fortunately these forums still have enough real experts that, when guys post something outright wrong they will be taken to task. Mike Brooks was good at that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.