Where's Black Hand?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Support' started by Shot deer, May 16, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 16, 2019 #1

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 Cal MLF Supporter

Have any of you seen Black Hand? As far as I know he hasn't posted anything new, and I can't see when he was last seen.

2. May 16, 2019 #2

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

He comes to the forum just about every day. Apparently he doesn't want to contribute to the discussions as he hasn't posted anything for a while.

3. May 17, 2019 #3

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

He's good. I've been in contact with him.

Shot deer likes this.
  4. May 17, 2019 #4

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 Cal MLF Supporter

Yep! I contacted him yesterday......

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2019
    Sicilian Hunter likes this.
  5. May 22, 2019 #5

Grumpa

Grumpa

Grumpa

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

To my knowledge he is doing well. I do know that he grew weary of being embroiled in frequent PC/HC brouhahas, and has started a forum "dedicated to all things 18th and 19th century", and "within the realms of Period and Historical correctness". "No discussion of modern or mass produced firearms that only bear a passing resemblance to period guns." "Please be civil - no personal attacks will be tolerated."

I will not identify the forum, as I think that would violate this Forum's rules.

Richard/Grumpa

PluggedNickel and Shot deer like this.
  6. May 22, 2019 #6

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Admin

Wishing him well, and he's welcome back here at anytime.

7. May 24, 2019 #7

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

And I thought it was because I was ignoring him.........

Shot deer likes this.
  8. May 24, 2019 #8

azmntman

azmntman

azmntman

75 Cal.

dont think folks know there in the box.....do they?

Shot deer likes this.
  9. May 25, 2019 #9

PluggedNickel

PluggedNickel

PluggedNickel

Still playing Cowboy after all these years! MLF Supporter

I hope he checks back in from time to time. If I had a question about PC/HC pieces or gear, he was always helpful, and would often post detailed replies, most of the time they had pictures too.
    I’m amazed at his bead work, leather work skills!

Shot deer likes this.
  10. May 25, 2019 #10

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

Black hand is always welcome here but don't count on him answering any questions.

He last visited the forum on May 16th.

The last post he made on the forum was on April 7th. It concerned the issue of making people who advertise in the classified ad section responsible for proving their item for sale was historically correct. He obviously did not like Angie's response when she suggested that people other than the seller and a potential buyer should keep their noses out of it.

RonT and Shot deer like this.
  11. May 25, 2019 #11

PluggedNickel

PluggedNickel

PluggedNickel

Still playing Cowboy after all these years! MLF Supporter

Well, I agree with Angie on that topic for sure. Still, I believe he was on this forum for quite some time, and I will miss his input on PC/HC topics. I'm certain Angie did not intend to upset him, or for him to take her reply personally. I agree, he can come back and contribute to the forum anytime, I'm sure most members feel that way, as well as all of the staff.
    I didn't always agree with his views, but I always admired his passion for being period and historically correct, even though it's not necessarily my thing to that degree. I respected his opinion, and appreciated his input on period arms and accoutrements. In the short time I have been on the forum I learned a lot from his posts.
    I guess we all like to hang with like minded people sometimes, and it is easy to take offense or get our feelings hurt when we have a heated debate with someone who feels just as strongly about an opposing view as we do about ours.
    Sometimes, I confess, I will put myself in "time out" from a forum if I feel I've been personally attacked, or if I review some of my posts and decide I need to lighten up and give it a rest for a while. Hopefully he will check back in with us. If not, I will miss him, but I do wish him well with his new PC/HC blog.
    For me, if I feel I have been too heavy handed, or snarky, or came across as arrogant in a thread, after revisiting it, I will apologize to the person I may have offended. I can't make peace with myself till I do. We all have made those late night, too tired, overworked, over stressed, after a day from hell in the rat race, posts. Then the next morning, in the clear light of day seen we were being snarky, disagreeable and difficult, and wished we had just gone to bed, or not have hit that submit button.
    I have made some good friends on this forum, even after having got into a bit of a dust up with them. I find the moderators and administrators are fair, decent, and helpful. The forum members are, with the exception of a few, very helpful and forgiving. In short, I'm glad to know the ladies and gentlemen who are MLF. One of the things I admire about Juice Jaws, is he will often times inject his sense of humor into a thread that is getting pretty heated, without taking either side. Rat is good at this as well. I love some of those zingers the members post! They often make me laugh at my silly self!
    If I take a pause from the forum, most of the time, it is simply due to being too busy with chores, and projects around here, or family/social engagements. Sadly, Betty and I are at the age where too often these days, we have had a death in the family, or among friends or shipmates. Cancer has ravaged our families, coworkers, friends and shipmates these past few years.
    I know this is true with others as well. Like Grumpa/Richard did in this thread, sometimes members or administration who are close, or have PM'd a member who has been AWOL (absent without leave) from the forum will post a heads up reply about them for the rest of us. It is always nice to be missed too!
    Well, that's the view from my saddle. And, I see it is 3:20AM and this old fool is babbling again. Off to bed with me!

Shot deer, Griz44Mag and Brokennock like this.
  12. May 25, 2019 #12

8 BORE

8 BORE

8 BORE

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

I have ignored him for months.
    I dont miss him

dave61965 likes this.
  13. May 25, 2019 #13

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

And some might not miss you either.

I don't see you sharing the wealth of information, with evidence, that he did. He might have seemed a bit harsh to many, but he was very free with knowledge (some folks that have it won't discuss it if you haven't read the right books), and really only got brash when attacked for trying to keep things in the realm of known history.

Go on now,,,,, add me to your lead box.

14. May 25, 2019 #14

EC121

EC121

EC121

40 Cal.

The only time a seller should have to prove historical correctness is if they are advertising a product as such. And even then it isn't all that important. The rest of the time it is up to the buyer to decide if they like the product or not. Unless they are paying for it, someone else's opinion is irrelevant.
    My view is that unless you can present facts or personal experience to help answer the question, don't clutter up the thread with an opinion or secondhand info. There is never a reason to be abusive.

15. May 25, 2019 #15

dave61965

dave61965

dave61965

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

I wish him luck with his new forum adventure and sincerely hope he finds the historically correct utopia he longed for.

Angie, PluggedNickel and Shot deer like this.
  16. May 25, 2019 #16

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

THIS
    A perfect example of panties in the crack over something that really doesn't amount to a hill of beans. It's not going to change anything, it's not going to change anyone's mind, it's not going to alter any current state of mind. Blow off that indignant steam cloud. The truth is that Black Hand wound up in his current status and current state of mind due to his rabid intolerance of anything or anybody that did not think exactly like he does. The rest of us can accept that or we can "IGNORE" that confrontational attitude. I do believe that is called "bullying" in most modern references. Some of us, apparently more of us than I realized, have decided to not accept such confrontational behavior.

hawkeye2, azmntman, jrdavis and 4 others like this.
  17. May 25, 2019 #17

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

I really liked his post, and he was one of the first I would point a newbie to for answers.
    We took opposite sides of view pretty often and some times we could sound a bit rude. What’s written on a post is a far cry from what would be said around the fire and jug. And we should all be able to put on our big boy breechclots before reading any one else’s stuff.
    I noted him missing and sent him an unanswered PM.
    I recall Rex Harrison playing Ceasar ask why he tolerated Catullus who didn’t approve of him. ‘Yes ‘said Ceaser’ But I approve of Catullus
    Well though I was oft at the brunt of his pen I approve of Black Hand.

18. May 25, 2019 #18

EC121

EC121

EC121

40 Cal.

If you act rude and abusive, no matter how correct you are you still sound like a bully. Not to mention there is a whole world of people out there who have questions about their rifles,etc. that don't do the primate thing.

hawkeye2 and azmntman like this.
  19. May 25, 2019 #19

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

We all have a line to walk. None of us can be 100% hc. We all draw a line and say ‘I know it’s not correct but it’s the best I can do today’. This is supposed to be fun and not work.
    Some like to do the military thing, get up at daybreak, march and stand inspection. For some(me) it’s too much like work.
    I keep a pretty simple camp, but I don’t get to concerned when someone has a wooden two piece chair. Those folks are on vacation too.
    I have simple knifes but they are not fully correct, however they are in sheaths.
    We can spin off into fantasy, bushcraft and old timeie. That’s not a real correct view of the past. We can try and only use what we can absolutely prove existed at x time. But, I don’t think that’s any more correct.
    I see the past as more fluid, maybe that’s just as wrong.
    I think of Cornwallis retreat to Yorktown. I bet more then one of his men were out of uniform, and a bit of his equipment had field repairs that would get you talked about at a modern reinactment.
    I mentioned this to Black Hand a time or two.Based on what he showed in photos posted on line,there wasn’t a dimes difference in our kit. There is though, a bit of an attitude difference I think.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    hawkeye2 and Shot deer like this.
  20. May 26, 2019 #20

Tom A Hawk

Tom A Hawk

Tom A Hawk

40 Cal MLF Sponsor MLF Supporter

Sometimes our hobbies and interests become passions in our lives, After a time, those passions can become obsessions, especially when the requirements of one's daily life do not provide significant, alternative challenges. Forums provide a way to commiserate with other folks having a common interest, share experiences and knowledge gained and sometimes seek the advice of others when needed.

However, when a person spends an inordinate amount of time, every day, for over 14 years, engaged in what is essentially some sort of reincarnation experience, historically based fantasy or fixation on the past, perhaps there lies a personal problem or an overwhelming, self serving need to be seen as an authority.

Regardless of the underlying motivation, I feel it is unacceptable to be rude, confrontational and disrespectful to other members whose perspectives may differ or who may be lacking in HC knowledge. There is always a more polite way to correct innocent misconceptions.

hawkeye2, azmntman, RonT and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.