• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where's all the deer threads???? Pics please........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm not seeing many deer hunting topics here. Some of the southern members must be hunting now.

We are 4 days from our boomstick opener here in Indiana. Hoping to see some threads to whet the appetite. Though hardly needed. I've been daydreaming (scheming?) of hiding out in a blowdown on a hardwood ridge, wearing my red and black wool jacket and orange Fudd hat, leveling my smokepole at some unsuspecting venison!;)

Don't hold back, if ya got a story to tell, let's hear it. Heck, please consider this a spot to post some past deer hunting pictures. Let's see them!!

Best regards, Skychief.

I’ve killed about 15 deer with my 20 gauge flintlock smoothbore since I bought it in 1997. Because of my interest in historical loading regimens I’ve taken them using a wide variety of wadding/patching combinations. Distances have varied from about 5 to 70 yards and I’ve never failed to find one. All but one has been a one-shot kill, and that one was so strange I still shake my head when I think about it.

It happened the first year I had the gun, the first deer season with it. I had considerable trouble learning to hit with the gun, first time ever with no rear sight, but by deer season I was confident enough to use the gun. I was still having some ignition problems, but only occasionally. Not to worry.

I hunted that day with my good friend Chuck, and we agreed to hunt different sides of the farm. I was hunting in a cedar thicket, and mid-morning I decided to change positions because the wind had shifted. I was still hunting slowly along a deer trail when I glanced over my shoulder and saw a doe walking on the same trail, not far behind me, head down, coming steadily along. I was standing by a small cedar tree which had fallen but still had all its needles and partially shielded me, so I just raised my gun to cover her as she approached and froze. She continued on the trail until she was only a few yards from me, then did a 90° turn to her right and walked down the other side of the downed cedar, not more than 15 feet from me, still walking slowly with her head down. I put the front blade on her heart and squeezed off the shot. The pan fired, but there was a slight delay, a minimal hang-fire before the main charge fired. The cloud of smoke from the priming flash mostly blocked my view, but thought I saw her run a few jumps and go down, hard, about 25 yards away. I had absolutely no doubt I had killed her and that she was down over there….with powder burns. I took a few steps forward to see her, and she wasn’t there. Wasn’t anywhere. How was that possible...I thought I was losing my mind. Before that question was even finished being asked, I heard a shot, close by, and obviously from a muzzleloader. How could that be, I was hunting on my own farm, and nobody was supposed to be near me.

I walked in the direction of the shot, and in about 35 yards came on my hunting buddy, reloading. The doe was down a short distance in front of him.

Long story short, when I fired and the priming smoke blocked my view, that doe reacted to the hammer fall and spun to her right, away from me, and my shot hit and broke her back left leg, exited through the front part of the right back leg. She hightailed it away, and would probably have never been recovered, but Chuck had given up on his half of the farm and come to check on me. He was back where I was hunting at first, wondering where I had gone, when he heard my shot and the doe came roaring past him. He knocked her down with his 20 gauge Narragansett Armes fusil de chasse.

We shared the doe, but Chuck gets full credit for the kill. All I did was learn that black powder deer hunting can be really weird.

Spence
Doe97 copy.jpg

Last edited:
I'm across the Wabash River from you, in fact the Little Wabash River too. Our season opens on Friday the 16th, in an effort to gather some firewood from some fallen trees I was driving the old truck on the back 40 and spotted one of the nicest bucks I've seen on the old hobby farm in quite some time. He was standing under my tree stand, if I had not fumbled my phone I would have gotten a picture to post. Hope he is there on Friday with some friends!

I was in southern Virginia and hunted Thursday-Saturday. There were no acorns on my property, so my only chance was to catch a buck cruisin'. I didn't see a scrape until Friday morning, so the rut seemed later than past years.

The ARE actively scrapin', and chasin' here in Pennsylvania, but the regualr season doesn't open until Monday after Thanksgiving. Flintlock only comes in the day after Christmas.

previous photos:

2016 Pennsylvania regular firearms season

2016 Virginia early MLer season

Last edited:
I’ve killed about 15 deer with my 20 gauge flintlock smoothbore since I bought it in 1997. Because of my interest in historical loading regimens I’ve taken them using a wide variety of wadding/patching combinations. Distances have varied from about 5 to 70 yards and I’ve never failed to find one. All but one has been a one-shot kill, and that one was so strange I still shake my head when I think about it.

It happened the first year I had the gun, the first deer season with it. I had considerable trouble learning to hit with the gun, first time ever with no rear sight, but by deer season I was confident enough to use the gun. I was still having some ignition problems, but only occasionally. Not to worry.

I hunted that day with my good friend Chuck, and we agreed to hunt different sides of the farm. I was hunting in a cedar thicket, and mid-morning I decided to change positions because the wind had shifted. I was still hunting slowly along a deer trail when I glanced over my shoulder and saw a doe walking on the same trail, not far behind me, head down, coming steadily along. I was standing by a small cedar tree which had fallen but still had all its needles and partially shielded me, so I just raised my gun to cover her as she approached and froze. She continued on the trail until she was only a few yards from me, then did a 90° turn to her right and walked down the other side of the downed cedar, not more than 15 feet from me, still walking slowly with her head down. I put the front blade on her heart and squeezed off the shot. The pan fired, but there was a slight delay, a minimal hang-fire before the main charge fired. The cloud of smoke from the priming flash mostly blocked my view, but thought I saw her run a few jumps and go down, hard, about 25 yards away. I had absolutely no doubt I had killed her and that she was down over there….with powder burns. I took a few steps forward to see her, and she wasn’t there. Wasn’t anywhere. How was that possible...I thought I was losing my mind. Before that question was even finished being asked, I heard a shot, close by, and obviously from a muzzleloader. How could that be, I was hunting on my own farm, and nobody was supposed to be near me.

I walked in the direction of the shot, and in about 35 yards came on my hunting buddy, reloading. The doe was down a short distance in front of him.

Long story short, when I fired and the priming smoke blocked my view, that doe reacted to the hammer fall and spun to her right, away from me, and my shot hit and broke her back left leg, exited through the front part of the right back leg. She hightailed it away, and would probably have never been recovered, but Chuck had given up on his half of the farm and come to check on me. He was back where I was hunting at first, wondering where I had gone, when he heard my shot and the doe came roaring past him. He knocked her down with his 20 gauge Narragansett Armes fusil de chasse.

We shared the doe, but Chuck gets full credit for the kill. All I did was learn that black powder deer hunting can be really weird.

Spence
View attachment 472

Yeah Spence, if you hunt long enough weird things will happen. While deer are not hard to kill, they can be surprisingly tough when not hit with a killing shot. I shot a doe one time at about 40 yards, she went down like a stone with just her back legs kicking a little bit as she lay on the ground. As I was reloading, she jumped up and took off. I followed her for a long time and never found a speck of blood. I'm not really sure what happened. I hated losing that deer.

Another time I shot a young doe with my .58 cal. The deer was standing in profile with her left side facing me. The roundball entered her left shoulder, went through both lungs and took out her right side shoulder. A blind man could have followed the blood trail. Even with all the extensive damage done to the vitals and shoulder, this deer ran 100 yards. I still don't know how she made it that far.

Jeff H

Thanks for the replies thus far all. Would love to hear more stories and see more photos while waiting for Saturday.

Spence, I can be fickle about such things, but as of this very minute, I plan to use my smooth 62.:cool:. We've spoke about their versatility. I'm thinking it's time to add some venison to the meat pole with her.

Regarding your post here, congratulations on the doe you and your buddy took. The hangfire.......on a scale of one to ten, how long did it seem to you compared with other hangfires you've experienced? Amazing how quickly a whitetail can try to remove itself out of harm's way, huh?

Good luck all.

Thanks again for all the replies, Skychief

Got this guy on the eastern plains of CO this October. .530 roundball at 22 yards from the Hawken did him in. It was a very enjoyable afternoon. Had coyotes yapping, sandhill cranes were migrating like crazy, pheasants cackling in the tall prairie grass, and of course whitetails playing in the corn.

NICE DEER 30338!

Firearm opens this coming Saturday hereabouts. Then we'll see.

But, I must report, this is the first six-week bow season I have been through in 38 years where I didn't see a single deer or bit of one while hunting. Not even a glimpse of ear or ankle. My pre-season game camera shows some nice deer moving at 10:00 to 11:00 PM, which doesn't help me much where legal is local sunrise to sunset.

Obviously I picked the wrong spots and times for bow, so I am moving to different spots and rethinking gun season.

RAIN!!

ML closed today in NH, two days it seems was not down poor. Got 5 inches of wet snow then rain today. Not good hunting.

Tomorrow opens Gun season only the first day tomorrow is both sex deer in our management areas. Son has to work to close the farmng up before winter. I am unable to hunt with out him or someone else helping due to age and disability.

Life gets in the way for some of us it seems , sorry.

I'm not hunting this season but look forward to next year. Most of the deer I've killed were down in my native Georgia. But what photos I have are from a film camera since it was only fairly reacently I got a digital one. Those are great deer photos posted, and I see some very nice rifles. I only have one deer photo that's been posted previously; but I'll post it again for the thread.

I used my much beloved 20ga flintlock smoothbore and a prb. Initially I set up my stand under a laurel bush - this was in Virginia - and moments later noticed I was only a few feet from the deer trail. But sometimes fate will smile upon the hunter and it smiled on me. As I got up to move, I saw a ladder stand about 25 yards away. I had no clue who it belonged to since my hunting friend and I were the only people with permission to hunt this particular farm. I walked over and climbed up to the seat. It was not long after that I saw a deer behind The bush I had first chosen to conceal myself under. Suddenly spooked by something, the large doe ran down the trail past the ladder stand where I was waiting. With the doe moving so very fast I didn't have time to think; so I automatically shouldered the gun, lead her and fired. Some would call this a "snap shot" but I've done this countless times and it's just one smooth movement done without thought. I call this "being in the zone". Although the cloud of smoke blocked any view I had of the results, I had the distinct impression, though, of something large jumping straight up but not moving otherwise. The smoke cleared and I found the doe DRT. She never took a step.
PICT0586-2.jpg

This year we finally talked my buddy into muzzleloader hunting with us. He drew a tag and borrowed his dad's unmentionable gun. After shooting it with "decent accuracy" season arrives. First evening he missed a small buck at 100 yards. Then the last day he is going after a small buck when a big 3x4 mule deer steps out at 110 yards. He misses. Buck goes and beds down. He gets on him again and the deer stands up at 100 yards, no clue my friend is there. He shoots, another miss! The buck runs and stops. He reloads and sneeks into 100 yards, ANOTHER miss. I'm watching the whole thing through the spotting scope and he calls and tells me he's out of speed loaders. Then the buck starts heading towards him. The buck ends up walking up to 30 yards from my buddy and stands there and he has no bullets . It was hilarious watching, but he was not amused. He is currently looking at getting a GPR for himself lol

Latest posts

Back