• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Where to purchase ...?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom A Hawk

Cannon
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
As I begin to gear up for a winter build of a Tennessee / Southern Mountain design I'm wondering where best to go for parts. The parts for my three previous rifles were obtained from TOW and I've had no experience with any of the other sources.
I would want a premium plus maple stock and would be interested in any thoughts and recommendations you other builders might have regarding Pecatonica or other suppliers.

Im not sure that Track has propriety over the parts they sell..., meaning I think you find the same parts at Pecatonica, and others...

..., I think you would do well to find some variation that would be doable with basic tools and a TN maker might do. For example take a hacksaw and cut three diagonal lines 1/2 of the way through the ramrod thimbles, each at an angle, which will give an illusion of a spiral piercing. Or pierce the bottom of the trigger guard bow with a heart or fish symbol...

LD

Last edited:
I am presently working on a southern mountain rifle for a good friend, he bought a Rice .40 cal 3/4" atf 42" length, a Pecatonica maple m2 Southern Mountain precarve stock with barrel and ramrod inlet. L&R Durs Egg Lock, Davis double set triggers, Carolina triggerguard, iron furniture. It is looking good, barrel and tang inlet, underlugs and pins installed butt plate in place, basic shaping under way. I must say I'm very pleased with Pec's stock, it's at least an m3 in my book, the Rice barrel is top of the line, ( I just purchased a used Rice Jaeger barrel for myself), and can recommend Pecatonica, Rice, Davis and L&R products. I've used Green Mountain barrels and Dixie Locks, and made reliable guns with them. The main thing is take your time, learn what you're trying to do before you do it, and don't be afraid to dive in. Good luck on your build. George.

I am presently working on a southern mountain rifle for a good friend, he bought a Rice .40 cal 3/4" atf 42" length, a Pecatonica maple m2 Southern Mountain precarve stock with barrel and ramrod inlet. L&R Durs Egg Lock, Davis double set triggers, Carolina triggerguard, iron furniture. It is looking good, barrel and tang inlet, underlugs and pins installed butt plate in place, basic shaping under way. I must say I'm very pleased with Pec's stock, it's at least an m3 in my book, the Rice barrel is top of the line, ( I just purchased a used Rice Jaeger barrel for myself), and can recommend Pecatonica, Rice, Davis and L&R products. I've used Green Mountain barrels and Dixie Locks, and made reliable guns with them. The main thing is take your time, learn what you're trying to do before you do it, and don't be afraid to dive in. Good luck on your build. George.
Thanks George. I'm drawn to Pecatonica after learning they mill their own stocks, however I'm finding their website more difficult to navigate. Unable to find pricing on stocks, etc. Am I missing something?

To use Pecatonica Rivers site go to the "Stocks and Components" button and click it.
Find the type of gun your interested in and click on it.

http://longrifles-pr.com/stockscomponents.shtml

The prices listed under the various guns they offer is the price for the lock, trigger, barrel, etc. I'm looking at a "Late Lancaster" for instance and the price is $598.25 for a flintlock style.

http://longrifles-pr.com/latelancaster.shtml

Now, go back up to the top of the page and look underneath the "Catalogue" button and find "Stock and Pistol Prices". Click on it and you will get a list of the kinds of wood they offer and the grades of curly woods. Note, for a full stock gun like a early Lancaster you'll need the fullstock length.
If you want the precarved stock, do not use the "Stock Blank" list.

http://longrifles-pr.com/stockprices.shtml

For what it's worth, I've built over 12 of their rifles and they all turned out excellent. The curly maple wood has much better striping than many other companies offer for far more money. I usually order the #3 grade.

Another nice thing about dealing with them is, if you want a stock but you want to use a different lock than the one they offer you can ask them to leave out the lock mortise so you can install a different lock. They will happily send you a stock made to your order, without the lock mortise.
(Sometimes the lock they offer isn't right for the gun, like, they cut the lock mortise on a Tennessee rifle for a Siler Germanic lock.)

Most of these are built using Pecatonica River "kits".
gungroup1.jpg

Penn-Rifle-030037.jpg

Hey Zonie. Whats the rifle 3rd from the top? The one with the moon.
Simple and very clean looking gun you have there.
You picked the only gun in that picture that wasn't a Pecatonica River stock. I bought that stock from Tip Curtis when he was at the NMLRA Southwest Nationals here in Phoenix.
I was going thru his tent display and I saw a pre-carved stock with great curl. Although it had a barrel channel for a 1 inch octagon barrel, the price was so low and the wood was so fine I just couldn't pass it up.
I wanted to buy a .58 caliber barrel for it but the only thing he had with him was a .54 caliber Green Mountain so I bought it too. I later on decided I should have held out and bought a .58 from someone else because this gun is heavy! It weighs over 10 1/2 pounds which for me is a bit much to carry out thru the desert or woods.

You will notice it doesn't have a cheekpiece on it. That's because it was a left handed stock and I don't shoot left handed guns so the cheekpiece on the right side of the butt was removed.
I also wanted to keep it pretty simple (for a Zonie made gun) so I installed only 2 inlays and kept the carving to just a few simple incised forms.

South-5.jpg

South6.jpg

To use Pecatonica Rivers site go to the "Stocks and Components" button and click it.

The prices listed under the various guns they offer is the price for the lock, trigger, barrel, etc. I'm looking at a "Late Lancaster" for instance and the price is $598.25 for a flintlock style.

Now, go back up to the top of the page and look underneath the "Catalogue" button and find "Stock and Pistol Prices". Click on it and you will get a list of the kinds of wood they offer and the grades of curly woods. Note, for a full stock gun like a early Lancaster you'll need the fullstock length.

For what it's worth, I've built over 12 of their rifles and they all turned out excellent. The curly maple wood has much better striping than many other companies offer for far more money. I usually order the #3 grade.

Another nice thing about dealing with them is, if you want a stock but you want to use a different lock than the one they offer you can ask them to leave out the lock mortise so you can install a different lock. They will happily send you a stock made to your order, without the lock mortise.
(Sometimes the lock they offer isn't right for the gun, like, they cut the lock mortise on a Tennessee rifle for a Siler Germanic lock.)

View attachment 16342
View attachment 16343
What a wonderful collection. Great job!

As I begin to gear up for a winter build of a Tennessee / Southern Mountain design I'm wondering where best to go for parts. The parts for my three previous rifles were obtained from TOW and I've had no experience with any of the other sources.
I would want a premium plus maple stock and would be interested in any thoughts and recommendations you other builders might have regarding Pecatonica or other suppliers.
Muzzleloader Builder's Supply.

View attachment 16342
View attachment 16343
I'll take them all! lol

Back