• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just thinking about the future. Black bear are rarely seen in Kansas. I'd like to hunt them. Where is the best state for me to go? A state friendly to out of state hunters, where an out of state license can be bought for a price I can afford? I don't want to just shoot a bear from a tree over bait. That's not real hunting, it' just waiting.. I'd want to still hunt on the ground, or with hounds. I love hound music.

Not sure how far you want to travel, but Pa has an expanded bear season for muzzleloader hunters(just opened this past weekend). We have way to many bears. I think our license is around $125. I can point you to some rugged areas that see very few hunters. Hit me up if interested.

Arkansas is right near by you with a growin black bear population. Very hard to hunt without baiting them though since they’re so elusive in the ozarks and ouachitas but there is a ton of public land in NW and west central Arkansas (look up AR wildlife management area maps) but if you’re wanting more of a guarantee I would look for a bear hunt guide service in north Arkansas.

Baiting may be a whole lot of waiting,,, but is certainly no guarantee of getting a bear.
“More” of a guarantee than not baiting I mean. In certain areas of north Arkansas correctly baiting bear is as close to a guarantee in hunting as you can get. It’s almost off putting how many they get coming in on the buffets they set up. Old fat ladies out there baggin bear

I've been bear hunting just the one time - armed with a 54 cal T/C Hawken and Great Plains 425 gr bullets. This was over 20 years ago in northeast Saskatchewan in a pretty remote area around a 600 acre lake. The three of us hunted over bait, spread out over a fair amount of territory. Over a week's time I saw one sow with two cubs, a marten, and two elk. Still, I enjoyed the experience immensely. At one point the sow started to climb the tree where I was perched in an old Baker stand.

So, best of luck in your quest, and post your pictures here for us to ogle.

The New England states have black bear seasons. I think Maine still has a hound season.
Nonresident big game license is pretty reasonable, about 150 bucks. Vermont has an early and late bear season, not sure of the dates.
Last I knew, Massachusetts had several record bear seasons.

Does anyone in the states do still hunting for bears? Before I'm planted I want to do a few trips to the states and one of them is specifically to hunt a black bear. Here we hunt from the ground and I'd like to do that if possible.

Does anyone in the states do still hunting for bears? Before I'm planted I want to do a few trips to the states and one of them is specifically to hunt a black bear. Here we hunt from the ground and I'd like to do that if possible.

Clay Newcomb is the bear expert in my area. He does it sometimes here’s one of his hunts

Western Colorado has tons of black bears and the non-resident price is quite low. Thinking $100. Call one of their hunt planners and start killing some. Between my son and I we have killed 8 in last 10-11 years. Saw 15 this year but none were as big as we wanted.

Berry patches, oak brush, waterholes, around 7500-8500 foot elevation in early Sept. Killed them from 18 yards to very long range.

I have hunted in NM and AZ (never bears). Both have good bear populations, but a tree stand would have to be well placed to work and bait is not allowed in either state. Rather than still hunt, if I was going to go for bear in AZ or NM, I would do a modified run and gun (no tree stand or blind). I would first locate a bear and then ambush him noting his direction of travel and the wind direction. The other guys that are experienced in hunting bears in the west will correct me if my vision is faulty. Wilderness areas in NM is where I have seen the most bear sign. Try and stay closish to your vehicle, two guys I know that got bears had spoilage quite quickly.

I went bear hunting with hounds once here in Tennessee. The guys I went with were all excited about going to Wisconsin to run their hounds. Maybe it’s an option?

Back