• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Where to hunt bear/whitetail with trad muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arkansas and Wyoming have over the counter bear and deer tags that are reasonably priced. Both have a lot of public land. Would need a lot of research and a good dose of luck in either place but definitely can be done.

The top rated black bear states in the lower 48 are Arizona, N Carolina (IIRC, THE record black bear came out of the swamps of eastern NC), and Idaho. You'll need to decide if bear or deer is your priority, as I don't think either of those three are top deer states.
Alaska is still your best bet for black bear. I guess it depends on your limit for spending, and if you can find a black bear hunt within your budget.

NYS has season overlap. When regular season opens for deer in the northern zone, bear season also opens for hunting. No draw, no preferrence points, just buy a big game license, bear and deer tags come together. Bow, early muzzleloader, and doe tags are separate and no doe tags in most of the northern zone. Regular season allows any legal weapon, unmentionable, bow or muzzleloader. We do have a pretty long season, but you will earn any buck you take in the Adirondacks.

N.C. has some excellent deer hunting due to a lot of land being swamp and most condusive to deer. If trophy bear is your quest N.C. is the place to hunt . the world record was taken in N.C. it weighted 880 pounds! There have been many 600 pounds plus taken as well!

N.C. has some excellent deer hunting due to a lot of land being swamp and most condusive to deer. If trophy bear is your quest N.C. is the place to hunt . the world record was taken in N.C. it weighted 880 pounds! There have been many 600 pounds plus taken as well!
I lived north of Raleigh for 13 years but hunted in GA instead, since hunting on Sunday was illegal (even bow hunting on private land).

I stand corrected, NC does have some big bucks. On the other hand, in some counties in Eastern NC, running deer with dogs is legal, which can affect your hunt if you're on a neighboring parcel.

Some NC bucks from 2019
1610299099073.png

1610299157492.png

I lived north of Raleigh for 13 years but hunted in GA instead, since hunting on Sunday was illegal (even bow hunting on private land).

I stand corrected, NC does have some big bucks. On the other hand, in some counties in Eastern NC, running deer with dogs is legal, which can affect your hunt if you're on a neighboring parcel.

Some NC bucks from 2019
View attachment 58140
View attachment 58141
Nice looking fawn! LOL!

Aroostook county in Maine for bear. Deer hunting in Maine is pretty good. I have a camp near Moosehead lake you can stay for a week for free.Bear season and deer season are 2 months apart, it does run through deer season but early bear season over bait is way more successful.
Nit Wit

Surprised only one mention of Maine. Deer overlaps bear season in November (1st-27th). Plenty of of registered Maine Guides. Nit Wit's offer is generous.

Vermont Deer/Bear overlap too, but only Nov 14th-22nd.

Surprised only one mention of Maine. Deer overlaps bear season in November (1st-27th). Plenty of of registered Maine Guides. Nit Wit's offer is generous.

Vermont Deer/Bear overlap too, but only Nov 14th-22nd.

I've never been to Maine, but from what I hear, the deer hunting isn't very good. I've actually heard it is one of the worst states in the nation. Now moose is another story.

Yes deer hunting is hard here that why big name hunters don't make video's of us . We do have some big bucks 200lbs plus dressed out some to 300. i've shot one over two hundred . i usally get a deer every couple of years all under the big ones. lots of moose different zones but they are getting smarter every year and expense to hunt have shot a few only one with smoke pole unmentional . waiting for next tag with my 54 hawkins.

PA has both Deer and Bear Muzzleloader which include various in-line Flintlock seasons and you can hunt during the regular firearms seasons with with all front stuffers.

That opens up the next question, obviously I can't eat an entire deer or bear while on holiday so what options are there for utilisation of the meat?

Easy answer. Take the entire deer to a butcher. During deer season, all the butchers process deer for a real reasonable price.

Have the majority of your deer ground and turned into jerky. Pack it into a giant suitcase and return to Australia with it. Be sure to include some in your carry-on bag to snack on, as well as to pass around to the lucky souls who are sitting around you...

A few have mentioned Arkansas already. But I'll reiterate the western part of the state has tons of public land and tags are over the counter and quite affordable compared to other places. Lots of bears in both the Ouachita (washa-taw) and Ozark mountains. Mountain deer are smaller than Midwest farm deer, but good bucks exist. Wild hogs could be a bonus in many places. Who wouldn't want to take home a genuine Arkansas Razorback?

Some oganizations like hunters for the hungry take wild game (deer) donations. Northwest Arkansas has some chronic wasting disease so folks might not take it. Not sure about bear or hog. As far as I know you should have no issues taking finished mounts or hides back home.

Good luck wherever you go.

Latest posts

Back