Quantcast

Where to hunt bear/whitetail with trad muzzleloader

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Sparkitoff

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Arkansas and Wyoming have over the counter bear and deer tags that are reasonably priced. Both have a lot of public land. Would need a lot of research and a good dose of luck in either place but definitely can be done.

Nameless Hunter

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
a trebuchet defended holler near Nameless, TN
The top rated black bear states in the lower 48 are Arizona, N Carolina (IIRC, THE record black bear came out of the swamps of eastern NC), and Idaho. You'll need to decide if bear or deer is your priority, as I don't think either of those three are top deer states.
Alaska is still your best bet for black bear. I guess it depends on your limit for spending, and if you can find a black bear hunt within your budget.

Rawhide67

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
NYS has season overlap. When regular season opens for deer in the northern zone, bear season also opens for hunting. No draw, no preferrence points, just buy a big game license, bear and deer tags come together. Bow, early muzzleloader, and doe tags are separate and no doe tags in most of the northern zone. Regular season allows any legal weapon, unmentionable, bow or muzzleloader. We do have a pretty long season, but you will earn any buck you take in the Adirondacks.

LME

40 Cal
Reaction score
N.C. has some excellent deer hunting due to a lot of land being swamp and most condusive to deer. If trophy bear is your quest N.C. is the place to hunt . the world record was taken in N.C. it weighted 880 pounds! There have been many 600 pounds plus taken as well!

Nameless Hunter

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
a trebuchet defended holler near Nameless, TN
N.C. has some excellent deer hunting due to a lot of land being swamp and most condusive to deer. If trophy bear is your quest N.C. is the place to hunt . the world record was taken in N.C. it weighted 880 pounds! There have been many 600 pounds plus taken as well!
I lived north of Raleigh for 13 years but hunted in GA instead, since hunting on Sunday was illegal (even bow hunting on private land).

I stand corrected, NC does have some big bucks. On the other hand, in some counties in Eastern NC, running deer with dogs is legal, which can affect your hunt if you're on a neighboring parcel.

Some NC bucks from 2019
1610299099073.png

1610299157492.png

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll look into those states.

A mate of mine did a guided Whitetail hunt in Wisconsin and had no issues getting his back.
Send an e-mail to the below:

www.FrontiersTravel.com

Also Cabelas has a hunting and fishing section which deals with hunting and fishing in the U.S.

LME

40 Cal
Reaction score
I lived north of Raleigh for 13 years but hunted in GA instead, since hunting on Sunday was illegal (even bow hunting on private land).

I stand corrected, NC does have some big bucks. On the other hand, in some counties in Eastern NC, running deer with dogs is legal, which can affect your hunt if you're on a neighboring parcel.

Some NC bucks from 2019
View attachment 58140
View attachment 58141
Nice looking fawn! LOL!

nit wit

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Aroostook county in Maine for bear. Deer hunting in Maine is pretty good. I have a camp near Moosehead lake you can stay for a week for free.Bear season and deer season are 2 months apart, it does run through deer season but early bear season over bait is way more successful.
Nit Wit