• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to get scrimshaw from heirloom hunting horn to powder horn.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a hunting horn that has been in the family for multiple generations. Somewhere along the line, there were leaves, a deer, and a map scrimshawed into it. Most are fading and will try to get better pix later this week. I have a powder horn that was made by a friend in the early 1980's that has since gone on waiting for me at the big rendezvous on the other side of the River Jordan. The powder horn that Jim made for me is plain without scrimshaw (and I know what you're thinking, NO! I'm the only kid that made an F in art in the 5th grade. Ain't happening. Not messing with or up the horn that Jim made for me)

Who can I contact that could do a reasonable facsimile of this line art? Fully understand that the horns are different thickness, curvature, color, tone, and a host of other variables. What I'm looking for is to be able to say that is based on what was there.

IMG_1919.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

OK, so I see two things - a design needs doing, and would possibly need transfer to the other horn. And then the other horn would need the design actually engraved on it.

For getting the design... I'd get some onion paper or similar and trace what is on the first horn as best you can. Tape the paper in place, etc. when done, trim as close as reasonable, leaving an inch border on the sides.
Then make copies - don't mess up the original! Cut your copies out, place them on the undecorated horn, figure out placement and size (reduce/enlarge functions on the xerox are great).

Once you have the paper template for what you want all figured out, then I'd hunt down someone at a gathering, etc. or possibly a RenFaire, etc. The problem will be trusting whoever with something that is essentially irreplaceable.

Personally I think you ought to get some "scrap" horns, transfer your design to 'em and go to town with a nail or similar small, controllable object that is easier to work with than a knife. Get confident in your ability to follow a line and figure out a technique, get a pint of bourbon and the horn your buddy made, pour yourself and him a glass and start scratching while you talk with him about what you are doing and the good times you had together.

The problem will be trusting whoever with something that is essentially irreplaceable.
There are initials carved into the horn and they correspond to family member's names that passed away in the late 1700's. Yeah, got some 'trust issues' with letting go of it into the custody of someone else.

PathfinderNC who is a member on this forum does beautiful engraved powderhorns. If you contacted him maybe he could do a reproduction of your horn for you.

1st, I don't blame you for not trying to do it yourself, I wouldn't either.
Second, while I understand your desire to transfer the art from the family horn to the horn your late friend made,,,, I would not do that. Keep your friend's horn true to what he made for you.
There are many talented horners out there, including some on this forum, at least one has been mentioned already. Have one of them make you a new horn based on the other two.
Where are you from? Maybe one of us knows someone local to you who can help so that you don't need to leave the family heirloom in someone else's possession.

It's your horn, do with it what you want... If you want to try scrimshaw yourself, I think the onion paper suggestion is good, as well as practicing on scrap horns. Your pictures are of primitive folk art - it's not perfect, and probably done by an ancestor who had no greater skill level than yourself. I say give it a try.

I use a tungsten carbide scriber when I do horn work: Amazon.com : carbide tip scribe
They are far easier to control than a nail or knife.

Second, while I understand your desire to transfer the art from the family horn to the horn your late friend made,,,, I would not do that. Keep your friend's horn true to what he made for you.
There are many talented horners out there, including some on this forum, at least one has been mentioned already. Have one of them make you a new horn based on the other two.
Where are you from? Maybe one of us knows someone local to you who can help so that you don't need to leave the family heirloom in someone else's possession.
Thanks for all the input and this sounds like the best advice.
I'll still get some better pictures once I'm back in Plano, TX.

Agree completely. Let the old horn stay looking old. However, replicating would be a treasure for you and a compliment to the original maker.

Latest posts

Back