• This community needs YOUR help today. With being blacklisted from all ad networks like Adsense or should I say AdNOSense due to our pro 2nd Amendment stance and topic of this commmunity we rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Where to get a decent tricorn hat ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

kyron4

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking to get a tricorn hat , but a lot of what I'm seeing a is low quality "costume" grade. What are some sources and option that's a good decent hat in the mid range level ? I don't need the best but something with some quality. -Thanks

Reaction score
Studied the tricorn on the recent cover of Muzzleblasts. Guess it is just me, but I do not "get it". Does not seem like it would shade your eyes from sun and glare. Seems like it would collect rain really well until your movement soaked your back or front.
Caveat: I do not necessarily dress appropriately for this century, let alone the 18th.

Reaction score
Clearwa
Studied the tricorn on the recent cover of Muzzleblasts. Guess it is just me, but I do not "get it". Does not seem like it would shade your eyes from sun and glare. Seems like it would collect rain really well until your movement soaked your back or front.
Caveat: I do not necessarily dress appropriately for this century, let alone the 18th.
It was a matter of fashion over utility - just like the ripped jeans and backwards ball caps so popular today. I don't "get"
those.

Re where to get a good hat, Clearwater made two for me years ago - both going strong. Dirty Billy's makes some of the very best (not inexpensive) hats.

Reaction score
Decent is a catchy word. You can get a cheap blank and make your own, get a wool felt hat from Townsend for reasonable price or genuine beaver felt for more then I want to pay for a hat. And wool felt was common back in the day.
I note all sorts of styles were used in eighteenth century that were more practical designs. However after I got a cocked hat I was surprised by how practical it acted. You can shade your eyes but have good over head vision. It channels rain away from your neck.
What looked silly actually works pretty well.

Reaction score
I bought this hat from Townsends a while back. An unadorned hat reasonably priced and high quality. It can be dressed up to suit your tastes. They custom build each one so there will be a slight delay but they do a great job of keeping you informed.

Reaction score
I likewise purchased my cocked hat from Dirty Billy's Hats in Gettysburg, PA. I seem to recall it ran me somewhere around $120 - 130. I love the quality, the look and the fit. I have been purchasing hats from Bill for over 30 years now for ACW, Old West and now AWI, and I have always been extremely pleased.